• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Discobs 2023

George BM

The HRRR smoke products have been excellent at showing the extreme low-level concentrations across our area this morning.    The model is showing a significant improvement later today for northern areas, as the heavy low-level smoke is shunted south before another wave of higher concentrations arrives during the late evening.  Forecast for 5PM:

image.png.52053b97f06e0552e44826c37cfdac50.png

• Like 6

Reminds me of Salt Lake City where I went to grad school in the mid-70s and thought I would never see again. We would ski at Alta or Snowbird with blue skies and temps in the 40s.  As you came down the mt, you would see the city as an ugly blob with temps in the 20s. The temp inversion would have trapped all the smoke and other pollutants from the Kennecott smelters in the valley. 

9 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Fairfax County just cancelled all on-premise outdoor activities for the day.

This is interesting and all, but it's already gotten old.

its the most exciting thing we've had happen for a few weeks lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Harv_poor said:

Reminds me of Salt Lake City where I went to grad school in the mid-70s and thought I would never see again. We would ski at Alta or Snowbird with blue skies and temps in the 40s.  As you came down the mt, you would see the city as an ugly blob with temps in the 20s. The temp inversion would have trapped all the smoke and other pollutants from the Kennecott smelters in the valley. 

I saw that in 2014. Major inversion you couldn’t see the city from the plane descending out of the mountains into SLC. Then drove up to Logan, and it was -10F and I couldn’t even see the surrounding mountains. It was all white. 

36 minutes ago, mappy said:

BCPS just cancelled some activities for today. No outside field trips, or recess. Will make a call later about after school stuff. 

They were late to the party on that one. I know Howard cancelled all field trips and after school activities for today yesterday afternoon.

1 minute ago, osfan24 said:

They were late to the party on that one. I know Howard cancelled all field trips and after school activities for today yesterday afternoon.

probably already on summer vacation with only 4-days left of school lol 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, high risk said:

The HRRR smoke products have been excellent at showing the extreme low-level concentrations across our area this morning.    The model is showing a significant improvement later today for northern areas, as the heavy low-level smoke is shunted south before another wave of higher concentrations arrives during the late evening.  Forecast for 5PM:

It really has captured it well. Seems like we get slowly better throughout the day, then it gets bad overnight and into tomorrow afternoon, and then hopefully from there it's a slow improvement going forward through the weekend, getting us back to near normal.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Our kids are in school until next Friday. :arrowhead:

I feel the pain friend. Mine was supposed to be until 6/21, but because we had no days off for snow they get out Tuesday instead. 

• Like 1

Picture I took from on top of a building at 10th and F, NW at about 8:00am. The Capitol should be visible on the middle left, but no dice.

Edit: It's interesting that the smoke is much more noticeable in the picture around where the sun is shining, but in person it all looks pretty much the same (and definitely not blue like on the right/west). 

IMG_2733-compressed.thumb.jpeg.922fe00a1eec0c2282661cd102dc7886.jpeg

10 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Our kids are in school until next Friday. :arrowhead:

Wow that's really late. Ours until Wednesday, but the last three days are half days, and they had a half day this week as well. Gotta find any way possible to hit that required number of school days I guess. :rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, high risk said:

Been pretty neat to watch this all unfold on the ny mesonet lidar profilers. It's like a real time hysplit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Picture I took from on top of a building at 10th and F, NW at about 8:00am. The Capitol should be visible on the middle left, but no dice.

Edit: It's interesting that the smoke is much more noticeable in the picture around where the sun is shining, but in person it all looks pretty much the same (and definitely not blue like on the right/west). 

IMG_2733-compressed.thumb.jpeg.922fe00a1eec0c2282661cd102dc7886.jpeg

A large part of that is the phone is adjusting it's exposure/white balance settings as it takes each successive photo that then gets stitched into a single image. Your brain does the same but it's subconscious and not frozen in time for easy comparison.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Damn.  That's nuts!  What is your latest freeze?

Not sure, I know we've had frost every month of the year.  But I don't recall any in July since I've been living here the last 20 years.  I think it has been in the mid 30s every morning this week.

• Like 1

Add haze to fog, nonconvective wind, and heat to things we do well around here.

Though I have to admit, the heat has been a welcome absence so far. I usually associate poor air quality with heat, so this little episode of Canadian Wildfire Visitation is somewhat dissociative, especially reading the 32 degree ob from West Va.

EDIT: Opened my window and within 15 minutes my throat started feeling scratchy. I really need to go up to Fort Reno and see if I can see the skyline of Tysons like is normally visible. 

2 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

It's odd to me that it smells like a house fire and not a campfire.  Not what I would have expected.

Mini-Map said it smelled like burnt grilled food in a trash bag that is on fire. lolol

• Haha 5

• H2O unpinned this topic