Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Discobs 2023

George BM

52 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Baltimore now among the worst air quality in the world, seeping down to dc. 

It's so gross out. Toxic, really. Ran yesterday morning and it wasn't great, but would not even consider attempting it today. I don't even want to step out there.

Mount Holly weather service mentions in their discussion that they are reducing the chance of rainfall tomorrow and lowering the probabilities due to the smoke content of that atmosphere, supposedly the nuclei of the smoke particulates affects the rainfall productivity in the atmosphere. 

16 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I was able to see sunspots using my S23 Ultra's camera. I can DEFINITELY "feel" the poor AQI now. Noticeable cough this morning. The odor isn't really like that nice bonfire odor either - it almost smells like fabric burning. 

Same here with my S21 Ultra.  I took the picture and the camera "processed" it for me and they went away.  Any luck with settings to keep the sunspots on the image? 

15 minutes ago, SomeguyfromTakomaPark said:

Never had wildfire smoke like this in my lifetime on the east coast (I’m 39).  

14 minutes ago, H2O said:

Probably never. Not to this extent 

I'm 57, grew up in northcentral PA where we had our share of small-medium sized wildfires in forests surrounding our town...have never experienced anything like this up there, and certainly not in 30+ years living in the DMV. The perennial wildfire threat seems worse out on the West Coast, arguably more the fire part than the smoke part...but this "smokestorm" is just mind-blowing.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, LP08 said:

Just drove over the bridge at National harbor…here is the Ferris wheel.

IMG_2413.jpeg

WOW. I've never experienced visibility that poor on the WW Bridge, where National Harbor is obscured. Dear God.

1 minute ago, George BM said:

Herndon AQI now up to 254.

Just got a reading of 382 at Mt. Vernon, closest to me reporting right now. Again...mind-blowing.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

I was able to see sunspots using my S23 Ultra's camera. I can DEFINITELY "feel" the poor AQI now. Noticeable cough this morning. The odor isn't really like that nice bonfire odor either - it almost smells like fabric burning. 

It's scary when we can use the lower levels as a multistop filter! ;)

PM 2.5 readings here have been dropping thank goodness after being in the 'hazardous' category earlier.  We really need this weather pattern to switch gears NOW and get this toxic soup out of here!

Has there been a study on how smoke particles traveling for 100s/1000s of miles can become more hazardous from exposure to other pollutants?

This has an acrid odor similar to burning polyethylene.  It definitely cannot be good to be exposed to.  At least we do have cabin filters in cars now that will significantly reduce it when driving.

15 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

It's scary when we can use the lower levels as a multistop filter! ;)

PM 2.5 readings here have been dropping thank goodness after being in the 'hazardous' category earlier.  We really need this weather pattern to switch gears NOW and get this toxic soup out of here!

Has there been a study on how smoke particles traveling for 100s/1000s of miles can become more hazardous from exposure to other pollutants?

This has an acrid odor similar to burning polyethylene.  It definitely cannot be good to be exposed to.  At least we do have cabin filters in cars now that will significantly reduce it when driving.

Interesting description, and it tracks with what @Kmlwx described a few minutes ago..."burning fabric." The odor is definitely noticeable this morning and while smoke from a bonfire or campfire can be occasionally nice to catch a whiff of, this crap is NOT that.

• Like 2

• H2O unpinned this topic