Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Discobs 2023

George BM

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Do you have a good site to monitor (nearly) real-time AQI? AirNow.gov seems decent, but it appears to only refresh once an hour and I'd love something that refreshes a little more often.

I use the AirVisual app

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Do you have a good site to monitor (nearly) real-time AQI? AirNow.gov seems decent, but it appears to only refresh once an hour and I'd love something that refreshes a little more often.

I believe Purple Air does real-time measurements on a map, can look back historically, too, I think -- it's one of the services that Google uses to display AQI on the Home Hub/Hub Max screens.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, vastateofmind said:

I believe Purple Air does real-time measurements on a map, can look back historically, too, I think -- it's one of the services that Google uses to display AQI on the Home Hub/Hub Max screens.

Direct link to the Purple Air map

https://map.purpleair.com/1/mAQI/a10/p604800/cC0#9.56/38.8206/-77.1908

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, yoda said:

What exactly is a "dirty area of high pressure" that the afternoon AFD from LWX mentions in the long term?  Does that mean like hot and humid weather comes out of it?

It means not a typical fair weather pattern associated with HP. There will be clouds/chances of precip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, mappy said:

The EarthCam view out of NYC around 2pm is wild. Just a burnt pumpkin orange

It’s a pretty similar look to the worst dust storms we had in Iraq when I was there. Although we got visibilities down to <1/4mi with dust.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

It’s a pretty similar look to the worst dust storms we had in Iraq when I was there. Although we got visibilities down to <1/4mi with dust.

Yup was in Baghdad a lot in 2003/04.  Had several events where the visibility was 1-200 yds at best - could taste it and it didn't taste good.  Was like talcum powder - got into everything.  Was hell on anything mechanical, like the diesel generators.  Couldn't keep the filters clean.  

• Like 3

• H2O unpinned this topic