• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June Discobs 2023

George BM

Incredible amount of smoke in the sky this morning, and consistent with what a few others have noted, I'm also starting to smell some smoke.   This is consistent with the HRRR smoke output which has shown that the smoke will work its way down to the surface today, starting very early this morning.

image.png.3930bb4b8fc4a2d5c617097969b7dc46.png

• Like 5

115 miles southwest of D.C., the atmospheric smoke is more pronounced than any previous day.  It reminds of the atmospheric haze that was prominent during summer 50 years ago, but rare in recent years.

42 at 6 am.

• Like 1

Here's some fun science for you.  Top and bottom images below are from this morning in Quebec.  You can clearly see the fires to the west of the cloud cover in the top image.  Two hours later you can see that a field of small cumulus clouds have developed only in the fresh smoky areas.  It is very likely that the soot is acting as cloud condensation nuclei to help the cloud development.  This is a different process from fire-related pyrocumulus which have the additional impact of the heat created by the fires.

730165707_canadaearly.png.a5f943aef728bb5294c122291edab55f.png1624513453_canadalater.png.7427ae1a82b518e376673d7b902ab89d.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

Hey look, clouds streaming in from the nw on satellite. If you want boring weather, that’s the flow you want…kinda like how it’s been basically the entire year and then some.

Re smoke…caught the red sunset over the Catoctins yesterday and see a noticeable haze. Might actually be smelling occasional smoke as well.

7 minutes ago, 87storms said:

Hey look, clouds streaming in from the nw on satellite. If you want boring weather, that’s the flow you want…kinda like how it’s been basically the entire year and then some.

Re smoke…caught the red sunset over the Catoctins yesterday and see a noticeable haze. Might actually be smelling occasional smoke as well.

You give me temps in the 70's and 80's with a cool breeze and virtually no humidity all summer and I'll take my boring San Diego weather and enjoy every damn second of it.

• Like 5

You give me temps in the 70's and 80's with a cool breeze and virtually no humidity all summer and I'll take my boring San Diego weather and enjoy every damn second of it.

Nah, this is the mid-Atlantic. It’s supposed to be green and lush in the summer. This weather pattern is getting played out.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Same down in my neck of the woods.

What a weird couple/few months of weather.

I did get some filtered sun earlier, but CU overhead now so its cloudy with smoky haze in between the clouds hahaha. 

• H2O unpinned this topic