Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Banter 2023

George BM

9 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I have no doubt that I like my own beer because it's mine...and that nwbw's is better than I could produce!

You aren't making bathtub gin that only tastes good when filtered thru an old gym sock so I'm sure yours is decent.  If i made my own beer it would probably be like this

200w.gif?cid=6c09b952648cg895716zyuq1t2c

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, mappy said:

A follow up from that deadly construction zone crash on 695. Both drivers are being indicted on felony negligent manslaughter, six counts of death of a vulnerable person, and numerous traffic violations, aggressive driving, speeding and driving while impaired. 

So many times while driving I see stuff and wonder "is that person drunk?" even though its 11AM on a Tuesday.. Maybe I'm not so far off! Although they said "impaired" so I wonder if it was weed/drugs and not alcohol. 

5 minutes ago, mdhokie said:

So many times while driving I see stuff and wonder "is that person drunk?" even though its 11AM on a Tuesday.. Maybe I'm not so far off! Although they said "impaired" so I wonder if it was weed/drugs and not alcohol. 

The driver was impaired from a drug, not alcohol.

An article I read said the male driver, who was arrested, had a dash camera. He reached speeds of 122mph prior to the crash and was going 111mph when the female driver crossed into his lane and hit him before she lost control into the construction zone. Both are being charged for the same things, with the female driver having the additional impaired driving charge. 

The male's family made quite a ruckus in court, claiming he did nothing wrong and shouldn't be charged with manslaughter, etc. 

29 minutes ago, mappy said:

An article I read said the male driver, who was arrested, had a dash camera. He reached speeds of 122mph prior to the crash and was going 111mph when the female driver crossed into his lane and hit him before she lost control into the construction zone. Both are being charged for the same things, with the female driver having the additional impaired driving charge. 

The male's family made quite a ruckus in court, claiming he did nothing wrong and shouldn't be charged with manslaughter, etc. 

@nj2va said this awhile back, but it's crazy how many people feel no sense of responsibility for their actions.  Driving 120 mph on the beltway and being involved in an accident that takes 6 innocent lives, and then declaring that you understand the charges but not why you're being charged is criminal in itself.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, mappy said:

122 on the beltway. For reference, 125-130 is a qualifying speed for Bristol in NASCAR. He did nothing wrong? GTFO

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

@nj2va said this awhile back, but it's crazy how many people feel no sense of responsibility for their actions.  Driving 120 mph on the beltway and being involved in an accident that takes 6 innocent lives, and then declaring that you understand the charges but not why you're being charged is criminal in itself.

YUP

3 minutes ago, RickinBaltimore said:

122 on the beltway. For reference, 125-130 is a qualifying speed for Bristol in NASCAR. He did nothing wrong? GTFO

Agreed. The male is only 20 years old, and he's got 27 charges against him this morning. Family said he's a good kid, never been in trouble with the law before, yadda yadda yadda. But how do you defend him when he was driving like that? It's mind boggling. I would be the first to send my kid to jail if she ever pulled that kind of reckless shit.

Obviously the female was in the wrong as well, also speeding and high on something, but his actions of speed racing on the beltway, flying up in that lane when she tried to change lanes, is what lead to the horrific accident to begin with. You can't absolve him of any wrongdoing when he was clearly doing something wrong.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Lots of teams are cancelling swim practice (and at least one pool just decided to close for the day).

Looks like it'll clear up a bit after school lets out, so we're planning to make a call at about 3:00. Figure we'll plan for light practices anyway, even if it does clear up.

Waiting to see if our pool opens but found out the swim team is optional for practice later.

• Like 1

Just now, H2O said:

Waiting to see if our pool opens but found out the swim team is optional for practice later.

We're telling everyone practice is optional (which it kind of is every day :lol:).

Our pool management company tends to the cautious side on this kind of stuff - I just hope they don't make an uninformed decision to close.

20 minutes ago, mattie g said:

We're telling everyone practice is optional (which it kind of is every day :lol:).

Our pool management company tends to the cautious side on this kind of stuff - I just hope they don't make an uninformed decision to close.

We have an ice truck coming today so closing the pool would kinda suck.  Kids come first tho.  Closing for smoke at least is more valid than when our guards close for fake storms thats just airplanes taking off

4 minutes ago, H2O said:

We have an ice truck coming today so closing the pool would kinda suck.  Kids come first tho.  Closing for smoke at least is more valid than when our guards close for fake storms thats just airplanes taking off

The worst. For us it's if there's a train that goes by when there are some clouds in the sky. That HAD to have been thunder!

Funny thing is that when there's a meet it's often the other way around :whistle:

5 minutes ago, mattie g said:

The worst. For us it's if there's a train that goes by when there are some clouds in the sky. That HAD to have been thunder!

Funny thing is that when there's a meet it's often the other way around :whistle:

Gotta get those relays in before that train 

@MillvilleWx

just saw you post in May Banter. Replied but am letting you know here as it is a new month. Sorry have had a lot going on and am loosing track of the days and time lately. But I can answer any questions about Frederick for you. Have lived here for over 20 years and am a transplant from OH. I live on the SW side south of 70 and West of 270 in the Ballanger Creek area. About 10 min from downtown. 

• Like 1

Did Career Day at my kid’s school today, got to talk nerdy about maps. 4th graders are some sassy kids hahaha. Had them help me “finish” a map by guessing what elements were missing (title, legend, scale bar, etc.) and after they were done I thanked them for helping me finish my map and one of them says “it was already done though because you had to add those elements we couldn’t see” lololol 

I was also called pretty which made my day :lol:

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, mappy said:

Did Career Day at my kid’s school today, got to talk nerdy about maps. 4th graders are some sassy kids hahaha. Had them help me “finish” a map by guessing what elements were missing (title, legend, scale bar, etc.) and after they were done I thanked them for helping me finish my map and one of them says “it was already done though because you had to add those elements we couldn’t see” lololol 

I was also called pretty which made my day :lol:

You're lucky, my sons would've never asked/wanted me to do that...but then again, I'm just a nameless, faceless communications drone working in DoD. :)  Having admitted that, however, I do believe you work in a unique and fascinating field...one that's interesting to a wide range of folks, certainly younger ones. I think the technological advances in GIS and mapping have been amazing to watch over the years.

Also, enjoy those times when your daughter wants you to do career day...or at least have you nearby.  ;) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Yup, its unfortunately the new norm of society today.  Always someone else's fault or they throw out some crazy excuse.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, vastateofmind said:

You're lucky, my sons would've never asked/wanted me to do that...but then again, I'm just a nameless, faceless communications drone working in DoD. :)  Having admitted that, however, I do believe you work in a unique and fascinating field...one that's interesting to a wide range of folks, certainly younger ones. I think the technological advances in GIS and mapping have been amazing to watch over the years.

Also, enjoy those times when your daughter wants you to do career day...or at least have you nearby.  ;) 

She loved that I was there! And yes the talking about maps was fun. I did touch upon GIS a little, very broad overview of using spatial information to make pretty pictures hahaha. Mostly I focused on maps as a whole, how you can map anything and then what courses and things I learned to get me to my big girl job. I thought it went really well! 

I am soaking up every minute she lets me be around because I know it will end eventually. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, mappy said:

She loved that I was there! And yes the talking about maps was fun. I did touch upon GIS a little, very broad overview of using spatial information to make pretty pictures hahaha. Mostly I focused on maps as a whole, how you can map anything and then what courses and things I learned to get me to my big girl job. I thought it went really well! 

I am soaking up every minute she lets me be around because I know it will end eventually. 

It will.  My "little" girl graduated from HS on Monday. :-)  and :-(  

Empty house this fall as I'll have 3 kids in college this year.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, toolsheds said:

It will.  My "little" girl graduated from HS on Monday. :-)  and :-(  

Empty house this fall as I'll have 3 kids in college this year.  

Congrats to her! Try to enjoy the empty house :) 

• Like 1

• H2O unpinned this topic