Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, NW_of_GYX said:

While we’re at it, it would also be important to consider what if any impacts the recent i.e last 30 years of commercial timber management regimes in the far north has played here in terms of broad ecosystem impacts. Prior to the mid 80s nobody was cutting wood that far north into the Canadian Shield, that’s changed. Look at google earth, they’re cutting wood right up into the sub arctic. Point is, there are so many factors to consider. I don’t agree with attributing this to CC with blanket statements, as many have done. Who knows, maybe CC is the dominant driver, but we just can’t say that with certainty right now, there are too many other variables to consider. 

The Google Earth I have is dated 2006, some 2005 (April that year, so everything is white).  I'm sure the cutting has expanded.  The dominant tree there is black spruce, which holds cones and some seed for 10-20 years.  As long as no fires run thru the slash to kill black spruce germinants, the forest will return, though on the skinny soils of the Laurentian Shield it may take 100 years to produce a spruce 6-7" in diameter.

4 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

Left work and it was 68f and sunny, got home to rn and 52f. Wtf, tired of putting on my soft cozy warm pants at night.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

This tells the tale of sun vs. clouds well.  https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=subregional-New_England-02-200-0-100-1&checked=map&colorbar=undefined

Seabreeze cleared out the clouds all along the coast for a glorious afternoon, while inland was stuck under convective clouds.  First day without measurable precip here in over a week.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Stations around town ranging from 0.15 - 0.67" depending on who got hit best.  Very localized downpours at times.

Basically sums up the past week.  Varying layers of clouds, passing showers, temps in the 50s.  What a start to June.

2L8A8617-1-2.thumb.jpg.cf7b8c207ef908200daff7456c31386e.jpg

Horrific start 

32 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Stations around town ranging from 0.15 - 0.67" depending on who got hit best.  Very localized downpours at times.

Basically sums up the past week.  Varying layers of clouds, passing showers, temps in the 50s.  What a start to June.

2L8A8617-1-2.thumb.jpg.cf7b8c207ef908200daff7456c31386e.jpg

It’s early but this summer better start summering or it just might not at all. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1