Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Hype and smoke sells 

I will say it is something a lot of people have been talking about. My family doesn’t care about weather but the family chat from upstate NY, downtown NYC, Long Island, etc saw more activity today than probably any other day, even Christmas. :lol:

People are fascinated by it. 

14 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I will say it is something a lot of people have been talking about. My family doesn’t care about weather but the family chat from upstate NY, downtown NYC, Long Island, etc saw more activity today than probably any other day, even Christmas. :lol:

People are fascinated by it. 

This is in general anyway.. how things work. The world loves and is fascinated by excitement, extremes , and hype. That doesn’t mean everyone by any means. But as you know.. the more excitement and enthusiasm that is created .. the more people are drawn to it. In general (again not always) it’s human nature. An example. JB made more money at Accuwx for himself and the company than any 10 Mets there combined. Probably was a bunch of better Mets during his tenure that made 40k a year while he was making 6 figures. Yet he was the face of Accuwx and was able to start his own company . All based upon getting folks excited and to buy in . It’s true in any industry. It works. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, NW_of_GYX said:

The social media hype machine is blaming this on climate change. I’m no CC denier, and this is an incredible event no doubt, but there’s probably been smoke that thick in NYC at some point in the last 13,000 years. 

Part of it is the images.  Everyone has a high quality camera in their pocket plus webcams etc.    when a major US city looks like Mars it goes bonkers level.   
And you are right about the CC part being overblown but it might be a tiny piece.     

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Part of it is the images.  Everyone has a high quality camera in their pocket plus webcams etc.    when a major US city looks like Mars it goes bonkers level.   
And you are right about the CC part being overblown but it might be a tiny piece.     

Agreed on all parts. Anomalous weather phenomena can go both ways, and are used by folks to both affirm and deny CC. The danger in attributing weather events like this to CC is that it obscures the very real argument for CC based on long term trends and ya know, actual climatology. 

• Like 4

46 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

This was July 7, 2002, which stuck out as the greatest smoke related air quality anomaly in central CT in about 25 years…until the last two days blew it away. 

The air quality indices recorded from the southern tier and central NY, into NE PA, NJ, NYC, LI, SW CT are on another level.  Like it was known that it would be smoky, but that "over-performed" today in very populated areas.  Cancelling local sports, outdoor activities, even the Yankee game.

The Syracuse Airport in NY went from 5:40am to 12:10pm without visibility going above 1.00sm in smoke! 

Binghamton was 1.00sm or lower from 10:30am until 1pm. 

NYC ASOS at 2.00sm or lower from 12pm to 8pm! Almost 3 hours of 1.0> visibility at 3/4sm.

That type of sustained visibility reduction moving through the atmosphere as a smoke cloud has some awesome novelty.  The path of the densest smoke was like tracking a heavy snow band moving through the northeast.  Whole thing dropped across Lake Ontario and rode the outside boundary of the ULL.  Huge aerial coverage.  Pretty interesting day.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

325 right now.  I’m guessing at that level moderate outdoor activity becomes asthma attack unsafe? 

17 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Could you post a high res satellite still shot of today’s smoke plume.  TIA!

I have a friend that could feel an attack coming and our peak was 185 today here. 

V1iVpKV.png

sJmcY3L.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

The social media hype machine is blaming this on climate change. I’m no CC denier, and this is an incredible event no doubt, but there’s probably been smoke that thick in NYC at some point in the last 13,000 years. 

Very dry weather and heat plus anomalous blocking pattern is exacerbated by CC. 

Of course conspiracy theorists are going rampant on Twitter that this was all a setup. The entire world could be on fire and they'll always claim that. 

Hopefully the sane people win out though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, NW_of_GYX said:

I have not read the same material that you have read, scene, nor heard, when you speak of "media hype machine."  However, the material I have read has actually been more reasonable than the tone your creating here.

There has been smoke this thick in NYC at some point in the last 13,000 years ( though why you choose that number to make your point - not sure...), and that is axiomatically true. 

But that is not the issue or in question, nor have I read any authors describe this one event as being climate change caused...

The contexts I have taken in are rightfully focused in the increase in frequency of this phenomenon, at global scales - meaning everywhere on terrestrial surface where fuels can burn, large scaled effusion events have been increasing in occurrence.

This is no defense for the "Industrial Media Complex"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Very dry weather and heat plus anomalous blocking pattern is exacerbated by CC. 

Of course conspiracy theorists are going rampant on Twitter that this was all a setup. The entire world could be on fire and they'll always claim that. 

Hopefully the sane people win out though.

Yeah, I can see the tag lines now. I picture a post like this...Canadian smoke and mirrors show purposely distracting us from the "Big Picture".

The indexes indicate far E. Pac/near western coastal N/A ridge response.

The recent ensemble means of all three majors, EPS/GEPS/GEFS, have begun (in the virtual sense) physically realizing this change between 120 and 180 hours. 

The coupled response would be to lower heights over western N/A, subsequently sending up a ridge response in the east.

The operational models do not reflect these changes. In fact, even among these ensemble means, the response down stream is vague(r) than one would expect.  But, particularly true in the operational runs, the downstream flow over interior/eastern limb of the continent, seems to be all but entirely ignoring this forcing and remaining uncoupled. 

That incongruence has been ongoing for five days (~) as far as I can recall - the GFS has shown an occasional run attempting to break toward the above correlation, but has failed to maintain. 

They are going to be consistently wrong.  Or, they are going to be consistently right that this is some oddity where classical atmospheric wave mechanics are not going to be satisfied.   I'd suggest some of the GFS runs that did show more ridging ...only to collapse back on the next cycle or two, might be more indicative