Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, TalcottWx said:

DEMHS IS TRACKING AN AREA OF VERY DENSE SMOKE EXPECTED TO MOVE INTO CONNECTICUT THIS AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE INTO THURSDAY MORNING. 
10:15 JUNE 7, 2023 UPDATE 

As of 10:15 smoke from the Canadian wildfires continues to be present here in Connecticut. Air quality conditions are currently deemed “unhealthy” with AQI values of 150-170PM2.5. We are monitoring an area of very dense smoke positioned throughout Upstate New York and northern Pennsylvania as shown in the satellite imagery to the right. This area of dense smoke is modeled to move into Connecticut over the next few hours with higher smoke density expected than what was observed yesterday. AQI values will likely stay between 150-200PM2.5 however within the highest concentrations of smoke the AQI level could possibly increase to “very unhealthy” with is an AQI value over 200PM2.5 

The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) has issued an Air Quality Action Day for fine particulates from through midnight tonight. An Air Quality Action Day means that fine particulate concentrations within the region may approach or exceed unhealthy standards. The highest concentrations of smoke is expected to stay in Connecticut through the evening and into the early morning hours of Thursday. Lower concentrations of smoke will linger through much of Thursday. DESPP / DEMHS will continue to monitor conditions and provide any updates as warranted.

I'm leaving a job in Suffield and it has certainly gotten worse the last hour or so!

45 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Does it make up for this crap on June 7th? 49° at 1:00 pm sort of sucks.  I’m lucky (really?) to currently be in Moline, IL for a conference. It’s a pleasant 73° here.

visiting Deere, John are ye?

27 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah still a lag at the surface but the depth of the smoke layer is decreasing over N CT. You can see the cumulus line popping southward as the insolation increases behind the deep layer. The air is definitely trying to improve through the CT River Valley in S MA though. BAF and CEF are up around the HZ threshold and BDL is 5SM.

That makes sense to me. Looking up I see a thinner layer than yesterday, but on the ground and near ground it’s still very bad. 

This is a once in a life time event for the Northeast.  Perfect setup to bring smoke down from Quebec.  I have been watching the Empire State Building Cam.  Earlier it was hard to see over the East River.  Now I can not see even street level.  This is with clear skies.  If it had been overcast or thunderstorm activity I could see how those dark days of yesteryear could have happened.

emp.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

At some point I'd like to acquire that latter book.  Having seen the data for southern and central Maine, that 1952 blizzard ranks among the state's fiercest.  It remains PWM's 3rd greatest snowfall and apparently was far more intense than the 1979 and 2013 snowfalls that were greater.
I've read "Their Finest Hours", the account of the barely believable rescues accomplished after two large cargo ships were broken in half off Cape Cod in that storm.  (My only caveat, a tiny one, is that records for places like CHH don't support the blinding and depth of snow described in the book.  Can't find the CHH data I'd seen earlier, but nearby spots had a few inches of slop amidst about 3" qpf.  I've no doubts whatsoever about descriptions of the winds and sea conditions.)