• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

DEMHS IS TRACKING AN AREA OF VERY DENSE SMOKE EXPECTED TO MOVE INTO CONNECTICUT THIS AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE INTO THURSDAY MORNING. 
10:15 JUNE 7, 2023 UPDATE 

As of 10:15 smoke from the Canadian wildfires continues to be present here in Connecticut. Air quality conditions are currently deemed “unhealthy” with AQI values of 150-170PM2.5. We are monitoring an area of very dense smoke positioned throughout Upstate New York and northern Pennsylvania as shown in the satellite imagery to the right. This area of dense smoke is modeled to move into Connecticut over the next few hours with higher smoke density expected than what was observed yesterday. AQI values will likely stay between 150-200PM2.5 however within the highest concentrations of smoke the AQI level could possibly increase to “very unhealthy” with is an AQI value over 200PM2.5 

The Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) has issued an Air Quality Action Day for fine particulates from through midnight tonight. An Air Quality Action Day means that fine particulate concentrations within the region may approach or exceed unhealthy standards. The highest concentrations of smoke is expected to stay in Connecticut through the evening and into the early morning hours of Thursday. Lower concentrations of smoke will linger through much of Thursday. DESPP / DEMHS will continue to monitor conditions and provide any updates as warranted.

• Thanks 2

57 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Its very similar to that right now in Orange County NY.  

appropriately named it seems

39 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

All this smoke talk, you'd think NNE was in a different part of the country from SNE and NY. All good here. AQI 17. 

i've been outside smoking butts all morning just so we can be like the folks in NY/CT

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

The interesting thing about the "Black Friday" in May of 1780 was the American Revolutionary War was still going on at the time.  The combatants on both sides of the war along with ordinary citizens assumed that Judgement Day had arrived. People flocked to churches to pray for forgiveness and to be spared. 

The people had no idea that the "dark" was being caused potentially by wildfires. They were expecting a storm to hit the area BUT when a storm did not materialize panic ensued and the people began to head to churches across the countryside. For months after that day debate raged on about the cause of the "darkness" Some insisted it was a warning from God and that next time would be the END.

For those of you who enjoy reading about early New England history

Amazon.com: Colonial New England Curiosities: Remarkable Occurrences, Miracles & Madness eBook : Geake, Robert A.: Kindle Store

And I recommend this book as well. It is about a storm that rarely receives mention.

Amazon.com: Northeaster: A Story of Courage and Survival in the Blizzard of 1952 eBook : Pelletier, Cathie: Kindle Store

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Does it make up for this crap on June 7th? 49° at 1:00 pm sort of sucks.  I’m lucky (really?) to currently be in Moline, IL for a conference. It’s a pleasant 73° here.

image.thumb.png.5dd1088a0bd6bd1035b242aa2e2e9b61.png

I lived in Davenport for 2.5 years, so I believe there are worst places to be.

I'm a little shocked at how high AQI is climbing upstream from us. 

There is a very strong chance one of these CT sites sees air quality 2x worse than yesterday, if this plume continues to head this way. 

Visibile satellite appears deceptive so far today. It looks like the clearing is right there, but it only seems to be worsening in terms of surface conditions. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalcottWx said:

I'm a little shocked at how high AQI is climbing upstream from us. 

There is a very strong chance one of these CT sites sees air quality 2x worse than yesterday, if this plume continues to head this way. 

Visibile satellite appears deceptive so far today. It looks like the clearing is right there, but it only seems to be worsening in terms of surface conditions. 

There is also a difference between the visible smoke on satellite and the particulate matter that the air quality sensors are measuring. Those particles are pretty small and it may appear clear while still being poor air quality.

• Like 1

Just now, OceanStWx said:

There is also a difference between the visible smoke on satellite and the particulate matter that the air quality sensors are measuring. Those particles are pretty small and it may appear clear while still being poor air quality.

I'm playing catch up after never having much interest in this stuff before this week. Let's hope this is a first and last for a long time. It would get old quick on the bad days. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TalcottWx said:

I'm playing catch up after never having much interest in this stuff before this week. Let's hope this is a first and last for a long time. It would get old quick on the bad days. 

Yeah still a lag at the surface but the depth of the smoke layer is decreasing over N CT. You can see the cumulus line popping southward as the insolation increases behind the deep layer. The air is definitely trying to improve through the CT River Valley in S MA though. BAF and CEF are up around the HZ threshold and BDL is 5SM.

Screenshot_20230607_131105_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a230ec3990ace9b2daf8ce01c69ef65c.jpgThis is very concerning for susceptible members of the community. This swath has expanded, and it's heading directly toward much of Connecticut. 

For reference, this air quality is over double as poor compared to yesterday when comparing AQI. 

Yesterday peaked around 200 AQI. These deeper shades are 300-400+ AQI. We are downwind considering the upper level low affecting us.