Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

My sister in the Binghamton area just sent this.  Said everything is orange, like a California wild fire is one town over.

All school sports cancelled and kids can’t go outside at area schools.

A26C8152-3D09-4C64-9B44-8D45CB105E47.thumb.jpeg.882dd4c19984723e7db6c385b659bc52.jpeg

Wow - that's Black Sunday stuff right there.

The Day the Sun Disappeared—September 24, 1950 - Burchfield Penney Art Center

Black Sunday: Darkness falls in the PA Wilds - Pennsylvania Wilds

darksunday (the-red-thread.net)

11 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

My sister in the Binghamton area just sent this.  Said everything is orange, like a California wild fire is one town over.

All school sports cancelled and kids can’t go outside at area schools.

A26C8152-3D09-4C64-9B44-8D45CB105E47.thumb.jpeg.882dd4c19984723e7db6c385b659bc52.jpeg

More concerning than the smoke is the fact that she travels down the highway with two wheels in each lane!

:)

• Haha 7

15 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Still what the GFS is offering is suggestive scaffolding for synergistic heat type … a different animal than just a hot day.  

The problem is, that’s been happening globally as a real repeating phenomenon, with increased frequency in recent years, where you have a heat modeled … all the sudden you get, something inside that gets out of control.

We really have not had one of those in New England yet. It may be that we can’t I don’t know… I’ve been kicking around with the idea that our geography makes it that much more difficult. We’re just not one of the prone areas to that kind of over achieving heat bomb

Do you really think it will get that hot this summer? Aerosol optical depth was off the charts in May over North America and looks to be even worse in June. There have been numerous pulses of pyroCb lofting the burnt biomass aerosols into the stratosphere already, and its only June 7. Would expect at a minimum regional cooling, if not hemispheric wide cooling, from this event. Wildfire season is just starting.

1 minute ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Do you really think it will get that hot this summer? Aerosol optical depth was off the charts in May over North America and looks to be even worse in June. There have been numerous pulses of pyroCb lofting the burnt biomass aerosols into the stratosphere already, and its only June 7. Would expect at a minimum regional cooling, if not hemispheric wide cooling, from this event. Wildfire season is just starting.

Damn

7 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

I’d plan on installing 

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The description of the public reaction :lol: 

Quiet descended on city streets: The girls who sold peanuts stopped selling their wares, the fruit vendors stood stock still next to heaps of peaches and newsboys subdued their shouts.

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Damn

Well, don't quote me on it. Was just soliciting Tip's thoughts. I did some research last month, because I was curious and I think I read where Australia's Black Summer produced up to 0.17C cooling in the southern hemisphere. That's also how I happened upon that curious event in September 1950. Not saying there's a link, but 1950 was the coldest year in the U.S. since 1929, and 1951 was even colder. There's only been a handful of years since that were colder than either of those years - which obviously mainly due to climate change. There was record breaking cold and snow in November 1950, and 1950-51 remains the snowiest winter on record in Pittsburgh.

Ant Masiello seems to be the only met who dives deeply into these issues:

29 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The interesting thing about the "Black Friday" in May of 1780 was the American Revolutionary War was still going on at the time.  The combatants on both sides of the war along with ordinary citizens assumed that Judgement Day had arrived. People flocked to churches to pray for forgiveness and to be spared. 

The people had no idea that the "dark" was being caused potentially by wildfires. They were expecting a storm to hit the area BUT when a storm did not materialize panic ensued and the people began to head to churches across the countryside. For months after that day debate raged on about the cause of the "darkness" Some insisted it was a warning from God and that next time would be the END.

• Like 2