Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Heights approaching 600 dm over the western OV and souther GL 

Hydrostats at or > 582 dm 

2-m Ts 97-102 from 300+ hrs is ridic relative to model typology for extended range. 

I’ve been scoping a warm flux in 13th - 25th time span for some time and there’s indices footing but it doesn’t necessitate the GFS. 

Can we sniff 100+ with dews?

• Weenie 1

Still what the GFS is offering is suggestive scaffolding for synergistic heat type … a different animal than just a hot day.  

The problem is, that’s been happening globally as a real repeating phenomenon, with increased frequency in recent years, where you have a heat modeled … all the sudden you get, something inside that gets out of control.

We really have not had one of those in New England yet. It may be that we can’t I don’t know… I’ve been kicking around with the idea that our geography makes it that much more difficult. We’re just not one of the prone areas to that kind of over achieving heat bomb

58 minutes ago, TalcottWx said:

193 now in Torrington, making a run at 200.

198 at three sites: Stratford, Westport, Bridgeport. 

Pm10 has been rocketing since this afternoon, and continues to increase. PM2.5 seems to be plauteauing. 

Some information you might find educational, as I had no idea of any of this before today: "PM2.5 is more likely to travel into and deposit on the surface of the deeper parts of the lung, while PM10 is more likely to deposit on the surfaces of the larger airways of the upper region of the lung. Particles deposited on the lung surface can induce tissue damage, and lung inflammation."

CA.gov goes on to detail," Emissions from combustion of gasoline, oil, diesel fuel or wood produce much of the PM2.5 pollution found in outdoor air, as well as a significant proportion of PM10. PM10 also includes dust from construction sites, landfills and agriculture, wildfires and brush/waste burning, industrial sources, wind-blown dust from open lands, pollen and fragments of bacteria."

The EPA states," Of these, particles less than 2.5 micrometers in diameter, also known as fine particles or PM2.5, pose the greatest risk to health."

According to one study, there's a link between PM2.5 from wildfires and increased risk of hospitalizations for cardiopulmonary diseases. 

There's a ton of different things to consider when it comes to this stuff, that's for sure. Interesting to read up on. 

9 minutes ago, TalcottWx said:

198 at three sites: Stratford, Westport, Bridgeport. 

Pm10 has been rocketing since this afternoon, and continues to increase. PM2.5 seems to be plauteauing. 

Some information you might find educational, as I had no idea of any of this before today: "PM2.5 is more likely to travel into and deposit on the surface of the deeper parts of the lung, while PM10 is more likely to deposit on the surfaces of the larger airways of the upper region of the lung. Particles deposited on the lung surface can induce tissue damage, and lung inflammation."

CA.gov goes on to detail," Emissions from combustion of gasoline, oil, diesel fuel or wood produce much of the PM2.5 pollution found in outdoor air, as well as a significant proportion of PM10. PM10 also includes dust from construction sites, landfills and agriculture, wildfires and brush/waste burning, industrial sources, wind-blown dust from open lands, pollen and fragments of bacteria."

The EPA states," Of these, particles less than 2.5 micrometers in diameter, also known as fine particles or PM2.5, pose the greatest risk to health."

According to one study, there's a link between PM2.5 from wildfires and increased risk of hospitalizations for cardiopulmonary diseases. 

There's a ton of different things to consider when it comes to this stuff, that's for sure. Interesting to read up on. 

208 at Bridgeport, Stratford, and Westport. That's a new level of bad. Yes I enjoy talking to myself about air quality. 218 (!) in Queens. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TalcottWx said:

208 at Bridgeport, Stratford, and Westport. That's a new level of bad. Yes I enjoy talking to myself about air quality. 218 (!) in Queens. 

Such a rare event today to nerd out over. Look at this hourly chart at Bridgeport. Conditions were already super impressive and they continue to deteriorate. You have to wonder if tomorrow is worse than today, considering we were only forecast at 125~ AQI max today. 

Screenshot_20230606_214653_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ee334e36382955a66b6ea7cbfdafba74.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I gotta say.. I really enjoy this smoke in the air. It’s something that is relatively rare and generates lots of discussion both here and just out in public. I was in RI all day today visiting accounts and everyone was excited about it . 

It’s interesting experiencing it, but there’s no redeeming quality that I can see other than not suffocating everyone in the immediate downstream by dispersing the smoke. 

1 hour ago, TalcottWx said:

Such a rare event today to nerd out over. Look at this hourly chart at Bridgeport. Conditions were already super impressive and they continue to deteriorate. You have to wonder if tomorrow is worse than today, considering we were only forecast at 125~ AQI max today. 

Screenshot_20230606_214653_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ee334e36382955a66b6ea7cbfdafba74.jpg

Bezs3gL.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

The forecast is a bit more unknown today I think, but the smoke quality is very poor across Western CT, all sites over 150 AQI.

Smoke does increase after a slight improvement in the AM hours. But this seems to be mainly a S and W CT day for the highest AQI.

Mid-Atlantic should be smokier than us today I believe, but tough this is these fires spread faster than models can track them.

Kingston Ontario is so much worse than us, incredible numbers up to our north. 

Capture.PNG.479f84147a53cd99179864106ad52877.PNG

Just now, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Yesterday I could actually smell the smoke. I can’t smell much anyway. Years of formalin fumes have fixed the tissue in my nose. But man, yesterday smell like I was sitting next to a fire. 

And 46 this morning. Jeez I’m getting tired of this. 

Old man look at my life I'm at lot like you were...

Link to check AQI at your house.

https://www.airnow.gov/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TalcottWx said:

The forecast is a bit more unknown today I think, but the smoke quality is very poor across Western CT, all sites over 150 AQI.

Smoke does increase after a slight improvement in the AM hours. But this seems to be mainly a S and W CT day for the highest AQI.

Mid-Atlantic should be smokier than us today I believe, but tough this is these fires spread faster than models can track them.

Kingston Ontario is so much worse than us, incredible numbers up to our north. 

Capture.PNG.479f84147a53cd99179864106ad52877.PNG

We get smoked  literally 

20230607_064900.jpg