• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

I'm wondering if the guidance is even factoring in the smoke sort of aerosol contaminant. 

I mean there is hope that this shit-show has an intersession tomorrow ...with sun into western zones while at least partly cloud along the coast ... This would send T's into the low 70 on average given the thermal column. However, that smoke on vis imagery this morning is dense, enough so to obscure the ground almost entirely out there in western Ontario, and it is heading south/east...

At what point does it cost temperature? 

The thing is, smoke aerosols are not micro-physically the same as volcanic aerosols.  There absorption spectra is different ...I think on both side, incoming vs outgoing converted radiation ?

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm wondering if the guidance is even factoring in the smoke sort of aerosol contaminant. 

I mean there is hope that this shit-show has an intersession tomorrow ...with sun into western zones while at least partly cloud along the coast ... This would send T's into the low 70 on average given the thermal column. However, that smoke on vis imagery this morning is dense, enough so to obscure the ground almost entirely out there in western Ontario, and it is heading south/east...

At what point does it cost temperature? 

The thing is, smoke aerosols are not micro-physically the same as volcanic aerosols.  There absorption spectra is different ...I think on both side, incoming vs outgoing converted radiation ?

Smoke definitely blocks incoming solar radiation so it will have an affect if it’s dense. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, OceanStWx said:

severe_ml_day2_all_gefso_060712.png

Some gusty wind/small hailers for Wiz tomorrow? The RAP forecast soundings aren't the worst I've ever seen.

I think the best opportunity for SNE to get severe weather during the spring and summer would be to send Wiz on a 6 month vacation to Europe.

We may actually improve conditions from the NE today... Looking at obs/sat/rad trends, there's a clear dry slot/wrap-around moving apace SW down the Maine coast that's unzipping this gunk.  That, worked over by the sun ... perhaps we end up with a better afternoon? 

I would have "enjoyed" this stretch much more if we actually got real rain out of it. I don't think I've had much more than an inch to 1.25" since this April cut-off set up shop out there - which is okay.. but 3 or 4 would have been better.

Which .. this is exactly what this has been.  It's just doing it excessively late.  I've seen coastals in June before. But they move right along.   This stalled, murky spikes of Labrador ass vomit thing is pure April, happening about 45 days later in the climate calendar than typical.  

One paragraph op-ed: I think it is an indirect CC/attributable aspect.  The seasonal lagging has been more prevalent in the last 10 to 15 years... It's like the new mid winter speed rage thing is "pushing" the real winter climate backward October/November ... and post-lapsing it into Mays.  Hence why we've seen so many odd snow and/or snow-supporting atmospheric wave events in those respective transition months.  Granted, we're not getting a snow supportive jack-shit in June. The point is ... these climate signals are being pushed ahead of schedule in autumn, and seemingly delay in springs in general.

• Weenie 1

12 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

E MA to E ME shore is just brutal place to live . Year round . Couldn’t pay most folks enough 

The beaches there are favored by pasty folk who have lived there and never experience mild water temps where you can enjoy the ocean - it’s all they know , and 8 year olds will go in any water temp . Over priced 

Still way better than living in Springfield Ma 

13 hours ago, dryslot said:

Temps never made it out of the 40's here today...............:(

47-41 yesterday, shades of early June 2015.  Reported 1.09" to cocorahs, finally getting some siggy rain after the "tenth-a-day" regime.  Now for some warmth to allow the nicely watered veggies to grow.  Maybe Friday.

Good op for observational science tomorrow ...

Do smoke aerosols have any effect in the condensate micro-physics?    -think SAL dust. With SAL, it creates an over-abundance of condensation nuclei, which too much proficiency cause the moisture to disperse among them and halts the adiabatic process.  Not sure about smoke though ...

There's also a 'scrubbing' question for me.   Like, I wonder if a CB spreads an anvil and moves down stream, does it leave streak where's it's tunneled a gap through the smoke plume.  Actually, it probably moves along with the smoke so likely not...  unless the steering is differentiable/sheer per altitude.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

47-41 yesterday, shades of early June 2015.  Reported 1.09" to cocorahs, finally getting some siggy rain after the "tenth-a-day" regime.  Now for some warmth to allow the nicely watered veggies to grow.  Maybe Friday.

1.26" yesterday and and 1.99" so far for the month, My newly seeded area held up ok but i have more work to do with the drainage and a couple low spots it seems.

IMG_2645.jpg

• Like 1