Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June 2023 Summer Begins

Damage In Tolland

26 minutes ago, wx2fish said:

Temp still tickling down some. 50F. Ended up a pretty high end door off a 91F high yesterday. Well see if we recover at all later this afternoon. 

Not to be too priggish but ... it was really more of a 'hybrid front.'    More of a backdoor phenomenon down the coast S of here - if that makes any sense.  

Typically ( for the general reader ... ) the S/W cuts SE out of E Quebec ... more often times, barely denting the non-hydrostatic gradient over us ... as it sweeps past up there.   The front that results beneath really doesn't look physically like it should even be there.

But that's when/where our local geography dooms us...  

Typically there is a NW flow type at mid levels as the above S/W slips past.  That is flow is lifted over the Dacks/Greens/Whites general massif ... and than passes as an elevated wind max that becomes slightly imbalanced in the lower elevation nadir east of said elevations ... as that lower eastern region fades to sea level (where cold Labradorian water mass and cool dense slab of air is just aching for a reason to move west ...) 

That induces a vector pointing back SW or W ...

Now imagine if the above S/W in our example triggered a front to move back SW.  That happens everywhere, anyway ... These fronts have a backward wash momentum - it's just a matter of how much so.  Just look at the current sfc layout from WPC this hour, and it's trying to move SW toward Michigan ( the main frontal axis).  But if we superimpose that type of momentum over the top of the above geographic/geo restoring tendency, that's what drills the "real" BD scenario.  It's really more of a "meso beta scaled" event, as the synoptics are smaller then continental and confined to just our region ..etc ... where the "pure" BD mechanics create the momentum.    

This thing is tied into a wholesale mass-field jolt retrograde - actually one of the faster I can recall - different conversation.  This was more a straight N-S cold front that would have overwhelmed all those other mechanics.   But I think of it as a hybrid, because it is shallowing out ... and will end up being a BD down toward the mid Atlantic.  

Either way...  93 to 53 is a straight 40 point correction in 24 hours.  It's a whopper synopstic ordeal.  Evidence of this latter can be seen in guidance, where this thing isn't a one an done thing. They're trying set up a 10 days pattern with this cold local hemisphere anomaly.

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Already been a few breaks. Should see more this afternoon. With any luck gets into low 60’s. Enjoy the 40’s and sheet rains out there 

Don't think there's any luck. models have you dropping to the low 50s through the afternoon, and in the 40s by late evening

16 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Time to focus on the cold pool week and I’m not talking about Steve’s pool either 

mm... provided we raise the hydrostatic medium below the ~ 750 mb level. 

This thing the models are structuring isn't a cold pool towers by 11:30 am type of look - at least not to me. It's a perpetuating NE flow of uber stable cold Labradorian ejecta.  The ocean/Maritime source is a problem for that 'cold pool convection' idea.  For obvious reasons...

But .. the models could too pessimistic and/or just wrong about how the lower tropospheric vectors lay in.  

We'll have to see.. but for now, this has sort of a mock 2005 May appeal to it ...at least for the next 5 days ( yikes! )   The present severing 500 mb attempts to move away, but we dump in a fresh new N-stream turd over the next day, and that plunks down in to capture the lead.  The whole thing deepens and retrogrades...  In 2005 that exchange happened in perpetuity for 3 weeks and gobbled nearly the entire month.  it was literally between 39 and 50 that entire span as a back carving retro 'great blue spot' locked in. 

Not saying it's the same scenario this week, but it can be "too much" to allow a cold pool with a lower level underneath that is very capable of becoming diurnally unstable like your imagining there .

lol... nope.  No convective salvage.  Just enjoy the Labrador butt bang

6 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

mm... provided we raise the hydrostatic medium below the ~ 750 mb level. 

This thing the models are structuring isn't a cold pool towers by 11:30 am type of look - at least not to me. It's a perpetuating NE flow of uber stable cold Labradorian ejecta.  The ocean/Maritime source is a problem for that 'cold pool convection' idea.  For obvious reasons...

But .. the models could too pessimistic and/or just wrong about how the lower tropospheric vectors lay in.  

We'll have to see.. but for now, this has sort of a mock 2005 May appeal to it ...at least for the next 5 days ( yikes! )   The present severing 500 mb attempts to move away, but we dump in a fresh new N-stream turd over the next day, and that plunks down in to capture the lead.  The whole thing deepens and retrogrades...  In 2005 that happen in perpetuity for 3 weeks and gobbled nearly the entire month.  it was literally between 39 and 50 that entire span as a back carving retro 'great blue spot' locked in. 

Not saying it's the same scenario this week, but it can be "too much" to allow a cold pool with a lower level underneath that is very capable of becoming diurnally unstable like your imagining there .

lol... nope.  No convective salvage.  Just enjoy the Labrador butt bang

Yeah we’ll have to see how the models really handle the lower levels as we get closer. At least bulk shear looks decent as do lapse rates so if we can not get screwed with a stable sfc we’ll have stuff to work with. Initially thinking any Convective chances may be tied to higher terrain but we’ll see

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Yeah we’ll have to see how the models really handle the lower levels as we get closer. At least bulk shear looks decent as do lapse rates so if we can not get screwed with a stable sfc we’ll have stuff to work with. Initially thinking any Convective chances may be tied to higher terrain but we’ll see

Yeah, and I'm being deliberately mocked by the models.  LOL  ... soon as the post happens, the new run goes out of its way.

I was being somewhat sarcastic in that last missive ... but, it was based upon actual model depictions - like I said though, maybe they'll be wrong?

The 12z NAM is hugely different for Monday now.  Suggests clearing with the onshore flow cut all but completely off.  ...seems to parlay into a warmer Tuesday in that cinema.  Meanwhile, the cyclonic flow structure aloft persists ... maybe.

heh...NAM beyond 24 hours doesn't inspire much confidence either way I suppose.

55 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Not to be too priggish but ... it was really more of a 'hybrid front.'    More of a backdoor phenomenon down the coast S of here - if that makes any sense.  

Typically ( for the general reader ... ) the S/W cuts SE out of E Quebec ... more often times, barely denting the non-hydrostatic gradient over us ... as it sweeps past up there.   The front that results beneath really doesn't look physically like it should even be there.

But that's when/where our local geography dooms us...  

Typically there is a NW flow type at mid levels as the above S/W slips past.  That is flow is lifted over the Dacks/Greens/Whites general massif ... and than passes as an elevated wind max that becomes slightly imbalanced in the lower elevation nadir east of said elevations ... as that lower eastern region fades to sea level (where cold Labradorian water mass and cool dense slab of air is just aching for a reason to move west ...) 

That induces a vector pointing back SW or W ...

Now imagine if the above S/W in our example triggered a front to move back SW.  That happens everywhere, anyway ... These fronts have a backward wash momentum - it's just a matter of how much so.  Just look at the current sfc layout from WPC this hour, and it's trying to move SW toward Michigan ( the main frontal axis).  But if we superimpose that type of momentum over the top of the above geographic/geo restoring tendency, that's what drills the "real" BD scenario.  It's really more of a "meso beta scaled" event, as the synoptics are smaller then continental and confined to just our region ..etc ... where the "pure" BD mechanics create the momentum.    

This thing is tied into a wholesale mass-field jolt retrograde - actually one of the faster I can recall - different conversation.  This was more a straight N-S cold front that would have overwhelmed all those other mechanics.   But I think of it as a hybrid, because it is shallowing out ... and will end up being a BD down toward the mid Atlantic.  

Either way...  93 to 53 is a straight 40 point correction in 24 hours.  It's a whopper synopstic ordeal.  Evidence of this latter can be seen in guidance, where this thing isn't a one an done thing. They're trying set up a 10 days pattern with this cold local hemisphere anomaly.

Agree that it's kinda of a hybrid, not just a shallow pool of cold air surging south. Temp is still dropping heading into midday, 49F.

33 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah, and I'm being deliberately mocked by the models.  LOL  ... soon as the post happens, the new run goes out of its way.

I was being somewhat sarcastic in that last missive ... but, it was based upon actual model depictions - like I said though, maybe they'll be wrong?

The 12z NAM is hugely different for Monday now.  Suggests clearing with the onshore flow cut all but completely off.  ...seems to parlay into a warmer Tuesday in that cinema.  Meanwhile, the cyclonic flow structure aloft persists ... maybe.

heh...NAM beyond 24 hours doesn't inspire much confidence either way I suppose.

It’s June.. we’ll have plenty of sunny mornings into midday upcoming week 

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

49° with occasional light showers. Not bad for noon a couple weeks from the solstice.

I was wondering about that this morning.. .how it compares to the 2021 4th of July weekend of the damned ... 

Wasn't that Saturday, July 2nd in the upper 40s ?  I was thinking that 2021 scenario was actually closer to the sun's perennial zenith.

I wonder what the coldest solstice high low /diurnal mean  actually is. 

I recall ... 2001 I think it was ( so I guess I don't recall very well ha!). I was peering out the 3rd floor of my apartment window over Chestnut street below, living in Waltham .... that May 19th or 22nd ... it was like literally a month from the solstice, and there were white rain globs going passed embedded in the sheets of upper 30s rain.   It was mixing with bow-tie pasta