• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

1 hour ago, wilsonvoid1 said:

hi guys i have kids and this smoke is somewhat taking a toll on my health, the window in my kitchen is open about 2 inches? should i shut it completely or leave it open for the night, this is very concerning!

We have a 3 month old and I have the house closed up. Running a HEPA filter in the bedroom. 

The next 8 days are averaging    69degs.(60/78) or -2.

Reached 81 here yesterday at 5pm.

Today:  76-80, wind nw. to sw., p. sunny, 60 tomorrow AM.

59*(57%RH) here at 7am{was 58 at 6am.}   60* at 8am.     63* at 9am.     70* at Noon.      69* at 1pm---yellow  air!---smoke continues.      67* at 2pm.

Here we go again - Round 2.

First visible pics of the day show another area of unusually dense smoke settling south from western and central NYS.  Will peak in the metro area late afternoon and evening with results similar to yesterday evening.  Nasty.  Still haze and smoke smell this morning but less than last evening.  Enjoy the respite before the next batch arrives.

JUNE 7 SMOKE.jpg

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Gravity Wave said:

I didn't notice any smell walking home today around 6:00, but I just stepped out onto the balcony and the smoke smell was very apparent. Wild stuff.

Same here. Got home from work at around 6:30 and didn't smell anything then went out at around 8 and it smelled like a giant campfire. It felt and looked like the end of days out there.

Question.  I'm looking at Air Now.  Why is there such a large variability in air quality readings over such short distances?  You can see green and red icons with widely different readings, within a couple miles of each other.  It looks like they're all updating properly.   Is it affected that much by the local geography?

63/44 limited clouds but smoky skies continue.   More upper 70s / near 80.  Its a battle between overperforming warmth due to the recent dryness and smoke keeping it cooler - so would go mid / upper 70s.   A bit cooler Thu (6/8) and Fri looks cloudy and chance of some showers/storms in the afternoon as front comes through. 

The ULL start to life out of the Northern NE by this weekend and the trough flattens.  The weekend looks  mainly dry (once past Friday evening / overnight).  Warmer SW flow by Sun (6/11) and Mon (6/12) and depending on enough sunshine could push temps to the upper 80s and 90 n the warm spots.  

Heights rise into the east and yet another ULL cuts underneath the ridge and presses east 6/13 - 6/15.  ECM has a more northward track and GFS a bit closer.  Either way, a period of clouds and potential meaningful rain.

Beyond there towards the other side of the mid month a warmer overall shift. Perhaps more typical shower/storm chances s well and some heat with building sauna out west.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif  

• Like 1

Records:

Highs:

EWR: 99 (1999)
NYC: 96 (1925)
LGA: 97 (1999)

Lows:

EWR: 48 (1945)
NYC:  47 (1879)
LGA: 50 (2000)

Historical:

1816 - A famous June snow occurred in the northeastern U.S. Danville VT reported drifts of snow and sleet twenty inches deep. The Highlands were white all day, and flurries were observed as far south as Boston MA. (David Ludlum)

1816: The following is found on page 31, from the book, "History of the American Clock Business for the Past Sixty Year, and Life of Chauncey Jerome," written by Chauncey Jerome. The book was published in 1860. "The next summer was a cold one of 1816, which none of the old people will ever forget, and which many of the young have heard a great deal about. There was ice and snow in every month of the year. I well remember on the seventh of June, while on my way to work, about a mile from home, dressed throughout with thick woolen clothes and an overcoat on, my hands got so cold that I was obliged to lay down my tools and put on a pair of mittens which I had in my pocket. It snowed about an hour that day." This bitter cold event occurred in Plymouth, Connecticut. 

1972 - Richmond VA experienced its worst flood of record as rains from Hurricane Agnes pushed the water level at the city locks to a height of 36.5 feet, easily topping the previous record of thirty feet set in 1771. (The Weather Channel)

1987 - Thunderstorms in the Laramie Mountains of eastern Wyoming produced golf ball size hail, and up to five inches of rain in just one hour. Half a dozen cities in the Upper Mississippi Valley reported record high temperatures for the date, including La Crosse, WI, with a reading of 97 degrees. (The National Weather Summary)(Storm Data)

1988 - Snow whitened some of the mountains of northern California and northwestern Nevada. Twenty-six cities in the central and eastern U.S. reported record high temperatures for the date, including Rapid City SD with a reading of 104 degrees, and Miles City, MT, with a high of 106 degrees. (The National Weather Summary)

1989 - Thunderstorms produced severe weather from southern Oklahoma and eastern Texas to northwestern Florida through the day and night. Thunderstorms spawned 22 tornadoes, including a dozen in Louisiana, and there were 119 reports of large hail and damaging winds. A strong (F-2) tornado at Gross Tete LA killed two persons, injured thirty others, and another strong (F-2) tornado injured 60 persons at Lobdell LA. Softball size hail was reported at Hillsboro TX. (The National Weather Summary) (Storm Data)

1 hour ago, SACRUS said:

63/44 limited clouds but smoky skies continue.   More upper 70s / near 80.  Its a battle between overperforming warmth due to the recent dryness and smoke keeping it cooler - so would go mid / upper 70s.   A bit cooler Thu (6/8) and Fri looks cloudy and chance of some showers/storms in the afternoon as front comes through. 

The ULL start to life out of the Northern NE by this weekend and the trough flattens.  The weekend looks  mainly dry (once past Friday evening / overnight).  Warmer SW flow by Sun (6/11) and Mon (6/12) and depending on enough sunshine could push temps to the upper 80s and 90 n the warm spots.  

Heights rise into the east and yet another ULL cuts underneath the ridge and presses east 6/13 - 6/15.  ECM has a more northward track and GFS a bit closer.  Either way, a period of clouds and potential meaningful rain.

Beyond there towards the other side of the mid month a warmer overall shift. Perhaps more typical shower/storm chances s well and some heat with building sauna out west.

GOES16-EUS-02-1000x1000.gif  

Let's hope the upper low cutting off under the ridge next week does it in the right place so that the meaningful rain affects this forum.  If it doesn't and/or tracks north of the area we're screwed.  Details to be determined.

• Like 2