• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

12 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

This evening, well before sunset, the thick smoke from Quebec's distant wildfires obscured the sun from view. The heavy musty smell of the acrid smoke hung through the air. 
image.jpeg.d6d9b8b9691829bd8eec0dee4776dc6b.jpeg

That's a nice shot.

• Like 2

An extended period of generally cooler than normal temperatures is ongoing. No return to summerlike heat is likely through at least mid-month.

Tomorrow will be another smoky day in the region. The smoke could again be especially thick during the evening. The generally dry weather will continue, though early next week has some potential for at least a moderate rainfall.

The latest ECMWF weeklies suggest that sustained warmer than normal conditions could develop during or after the second week of June.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +2.3°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was +0.8°C for the week centered around May 31. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +2.25°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged +0.50°C. El Niño conditions are developing.

The SOI was -1.76 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was -1.496 today.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, wilsonvoid1 said:

hi guys i have kids and this smoke is somewhat taking a toll on my health, the window in my kitchen is open about 2 inches? should i shut it completely or leave it open for the night, this is very concerning!

I think the obvious choice would be to close it, and keep your house closed up tight until this passes.  Ours is.

If you have an air purifier, I would use it if it's affecting your health.  Maybe run an air conditioner too?  Minimize your time outside.  

This too shall pass, although the next couple of days is going to suck.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, dWave said:

NYCs air is worse than the air in Toronto - which is in the country that is on fire.  Dang.

I keep thinking about like Chernobyl or something where there is a radiological disaster, and this is how the radiation would propagate, only you could not see it or smell it. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, cleetussnow said:

NYCs air is worse than the air in Toronto - which is in the country that is on fire.  Dang.

I keep thinking about like Chernobyl or something where there is a radiological disaster, and this is how the radiation would propagate, only you could not see it or smell it. 

It updated. NYC air quality is now the worst of major cities in the world. 193 aqi

12 minutes ago, dWave said:

It updated. NYC air quality is now the worst of major cities in the world. 193 aqi

At least it isn’t 758 like a few years ago in Oregon but this is bad enough.

https://www.insider.com/west-coast-hazardous-air-quality-worst-on-earth-wildfire-smoke-2020-9

But PurpleAir's monitors around Salem, Oregon, reported AQIs as high as 758 on Friday morning.