• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

Years with significant heat in early June sometimes see a return to that heat on several more occasions (e.g., 1919, 1934) but another outcome is a rather cool mid-summer and more heat in September (1895, 1925). I suspect this will turn into a relatively hot summer with a few cool and wet intervals, in this climate, harder to avoid east coast ridge building over the anomalously warm NAtl. 

It is also quite warm out here and pushing up a bit higher each day to mid-week. 

My idea for the summer pattern in general is that it may be prone to severe heat waves in central states and the western interior, and that the east will alternate between near average and hot spells with a bit of a westerly rather than south-westerly flow bias which can mean a rather dry regime, but no doubt with a few interruptions. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Roger Smith said:

Years with significant heat in early June sometimes see a return to that heat on several more occasions (e.g., 1919, 1934) but another outcome is a rather cool mid-summer and more heat in September (1895, 1925). I suspect this will turn into a relatively hot summer with a few cool and wet intervals, in this climate, harder to avoid east coast ridge building over the anomalously warm NAtl. 

It is also quite warm out here and pushing up a bit higher each day to mid-week. 

My idea for the summer pattern in general is that it may be prone to severe heat waves in central states and the western interior, and that the east will alternate between near average and hot spells with a bit of a westerly rather than south-westerly flow bias which can mean a rather dry regime, but no doubt with a few interruptions. 

I cannot remember the Mid-Atlantic DC region being this dry in May into early June. Don’t know what that means heat wise and for hurricane season but worth noting.

1 hour ago, Jersey Andrew said:

I cannot remember the Mid-Atlantic DC region being this dry in May into early June. Don’t know what that means heat wise and for hurricane season but worth noting.

1949 had a very dry spring and early summer, a hot June and more heat in July and August, cooled off somewhat in September, and returned to significant warmth in October. Late November was briefly cold but the winter of 1949-50 was among the mildest on record.

Tons of new fires popping up, now in eastern Canada. A lot of places, arguably a large chunk of North America are experiencing drier than normal conditions, and places north of here are well above average with 90's well into Canada. Tons of fuel for fires to develop and keep going. Only places that have been wetter than normal are the extreme Southeast and just east of the Rockies. I don't think I've ever seen so many fires burning in eastern Canada, western yes, but eastern Canada is typically cooler and wetter in the spring. All we can hope for is some rain!

53000357_COD-GOES-East-regional-ca_reg_east_02.20230602.214020-overmap-barsnone.thumb.gif.db08c6a7809fc290649fea29ddb203d8.gif