• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2023 Golf Thread

Modfan2

After 20+ years as a member at my old course, I moved to a new one this year. It was a difficult decision. The old place had been member owned and I had been president. Tropical Storm Irene did a number on us and set us on a downward financial spiral, culminating in us selling to a private owner in 2020. I’m glad he’s kept it as a golf course but I don’t like the direction so it was time to move. The new place is 18 holes instead of 9 and you can’t beat the views. 

70579724550__231C06F0-C01B-4CE4-8C6B-01548B6D87E1.jpeg

70580034848__59924316-DB1A-419C-B0BD-1CE0BB657E4C.jpeg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

After 20+ years as a member at my old course, I moved to a new one this year. It was a difficult decision. The old place had been member owned and I had been president. Tropical Storm Irene did a number on us and set us on a downward financial spiral, culminating in us selling to a private owner in 2020. I’m glad he’s kept it as a golf course but I don’t like the direction so it was time to move. The new place is 18 holes instead of 9 and you can’t beat the views. 

70579724550__231C06F0-C01B-4CE4-8C6B-01548B6D87E1.jpeg

70580034848__59924316-DB1A-419C-B0BD-1CE0BB657E4C.jpeg

I always prefer an 18 hole course over 9, no matter how nice the 9 are.

Finding the time to play golf with a 1 yr is a challenge. 9 holes each Monday afternoon as part of a league. Only 2 rounds of 18 this year. 
Played Passaconaway in Litchfield, NH this past Friday AM. Neighbor & I teed off at 5:55 as first 2 off. Finished at 8:30 while walking. 
+8 79 with 7 bogeys, 1 triple, 2 birdies

• Like 1

Starting to hit the ball a bit more consistently but I’m struggling off the tee with my irons on par 3s. I’ll start doing that better and then something else will go away. I’m still trying to learn the greens at my new course. Hopefully that comes with time. 
The weather looks tough at the PGA today. May keep scores in check. Scheffler is playing well. I sort of like the Canadian, Connors. I think Rory making birdie on 18 to get to even could be big for him. 

I joined an 18 hole course for the first time this year, I still haven’t played 18. Lol. I guess I’m just used to my schedule, going over after work and playing. It’s just always works out that way. I assume at some point I’ll start getting 18 in at least once a week. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/10/2023 at 5:40 PM, Chrisrotary12 said:

Played Overlook in Hollis, NH last two days: +1 & +7. The four 9s were: +3, -2, +8, -1. Guess I need to work on the front 9. (3-9 is definitely the hardest stretch)

What kind of shape is that course in? I haven't played it in years. Used to love it.

2 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

After day 1 my partner and I are in 2nd place for both gross and net. Today is going to be entertaining if we play.

Gross: 68 ( 1 back)

Net: 62 (3 back)

I know it’s cancelled now but you could only win one or the other, right?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2023 at 8:54 AM, Chrisrotary12 said:

Played 18 at Highland Links in Truro, MA yesterday. 9 holes “links” style course from 1892. +6 76

Definitely a tricky little course for anyone who doesn’t hit it straight. Fairways are like 20 yds wide and greens are tiny.

352BB44E-D015-4028-8038-07479B59BB8A.jpeg

11FC45A9-9807-4247-90CA-0740CBC8DA43.jpeg

I played that course a long time ago, had a tough time with it.

2 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

Too much rain, some years we golf all 20 weeks in our league, this year we missed 3 weeks already with a few weeks to go not to mention the weekend rains we had.

I've managed to get out almost every week this weekend excluded. But you're right the rain must be tough for leagues.

4 hours ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

We've missed 1 week in my Monday night league.

It's the timing that has screwed us up.  Our league is on Tuesday night's.  It seems as if we have had rain and storms on Tuesday a lot this year.  Tonight would be fine but tomorrow looks rainy again.  Same thing last week.

Just got back from a week in Michigan.  Courses there are 1/2 to 1/3 price of Massachusetts, way better shape and MUCH harder . All muni courses have black tees. 

Played 4 rounds with Pilgrim Run north of Grand Rapids being the nicest course I've played in a while, public and $80.  That would be $150 -200 on the South shore.  (Pine Hills and Waverly are junk compared to it and $150).

• Like 2