Weathernoob335
May Discobs 2023

George BM

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Maybe I was just oblivious growing up, but I don’t remember there being many days annually with wildfire smoke aloft. Having it in May is nuts.

I think some of that is due to the amount of information we have at our fingertips nowadays. Things like that probably weren't worth much of a mention back then, and even if they were you'd be hard pressed to find any sort of news about it.

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, mattie g said:

I think some of that is due to the amount of information we have at our fingertips nowadays. Things like that probably weren't worth much of a mention back then, and even if they were you'd be hard pressed to find any sort of news about it.

Lol we had weather satellites. How old do you think I am?:lol:

• Haha 7

15 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Lol we had weather satellites. How old do you think I am?:lol:

:lol:

What I mean is that I don't think there was as much of a medium for people to discuss wildfire smoke. If it weren't for Twitter or online news without page/word limits or whatever, then would there be much of an interest in reporting about how wildfire smoke is causing the sky to be a little hazy?

• Like 3

Smoke plume is very visible on GOES: https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=nrnmidat-02-24-1

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

Agreed. I vividly remember an extremely dark brown smoke haze in either the summer of 2002 or 2003 in Central PA when I was a teenager.  Fires in Canada, I think. It was so bad it made the news.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Paleocene said:

Smoke plume is very visible on GOES: https://weather.cod.edu/satrad/?parms=nrnmidat-02-24-1

Agreed. I vividly remember an extremely dark brown smoke haze in either the summer of 2002 or 2003 in Central PA when I was a teenager.  Fires in Canada, I think. It was so bad it made the news.

2002.  I was in exhibition hall, Timonium Fairgrounds and there was smoke around the overhead lights and thought there was a fire nearby.  Went outside and the sun had that "ultem" yellow tinge.  And it was on the news along with the satellite pix showing the journey practically reaching Bermuda!

This AM definitely noticed the smoke/haze obscuring the sun.  Reminded me of fall of 2020.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, nj2va said:

Just had this conversation with my partner as we sat outside to enjoy this beautiful evening.  We need rain on weekdays and sun/75 on weekends.  

Ha! Same here, sat outside on the porch all evening, was such a nice night. I'm hoping to get my boat in the water this coming weekend, Sunday at least looks dry out west.

Today is honestly my style of weather.  If I could have this for 6-9 months out of the year with the occasional cold front that drops temps to the 60s with low humidity, I'd be pretty happy with that.  Basically, this type of weather with 2 months of fall (temps in the 50s) and 2 months of a winter (where it actually snows) would probably be my sweet spot.

• Like 3

• mappy unpinned this topic