May Discobs 2023

George BM

• Replies 535
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fearless forecast for Canaan: 

ISSUED 9:30 ESDT TUESDAY (5-2-23)

Canaan Valley's 5.9 inches of snow reported in the last 24 hours has already set all-time records for total May monthly snowfall, greatest 24-hr. May snowfall, and greatest May snow depth (5 inches).  It ain't over yet.

Based on these observations, new model guidance, including lower elevation below-freezing temperatures developing this evening, I am lowering snowfall levels and upping my Fearless 3-day snow storm totals (Mon. through Wed. includes Thursday snowfall reports for Wed.) snowfall across the board as follows:

Elevation             Snowfall Amounts

2,000 to 2,500 ft.:  2-to-6 inches
2,500 to 3,000 ft.:  4-to-8 inches
3,000 to 3,500 ft.:  6-to-12 inches
3,500 to 4,000 ft.:  9-to-19 inches
4,000 to 4,500 ft.:  14-to-24 inches
4,500 ft. plus:        19-to-29 inches

The peak gust reported before VA Tech Dolly Sods wind instrumentation (4,050 ft.) froze up yesterday was 50 MPH.

Again, this heavy, wet, elevation-dependent snow is creating hazardous road conditions and could knock out power with downed trees and limbs. Use caution when traveling and take whatever precautionary measures you can for the potential loss of power for several days. 

Further updates as warranted.

Your Fearless Canaan Weatherman
(aka:  Bob Leffler)

• Like 3

7 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Dumping on the Canaan cam right now.  We need a report from @jonjon.

https://www.canaanresort.com/resort/webcams/

Got a few inches in town last night, didn't start accumulating until well after sun went down.  Today, it warmed up to a rain/snow mix this afternoon with temps rising to the mid-30s.  More melting of snow than adding of snow, but just a few hundred feet up (like Canaan Heights) there is a solid 6"+ on the ground.  I assume we will get more accumulating snow, even down in town, tonight after the sun goes down and we drop a few degrees.  The highest ridges above 4k are probably killing it.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, jonjon said:

Got a few inches in town last night, didn't start accumulating until well after sun went down.  Today, it warmed up to a rain/snow mix this afternoon with temps rising to the mid-30s.  More melting of snow than adding of snow, but just a few hundred feet up (like Canaan Heights) there is a solid 6"+ on the ground.  I assume we will get more accumulating snow, even down in town, tonight after the sun goes down and we drop a few degrees.  The highest ridges above 4k are probably killing it.

I’m up here too.  Went up to 3860’ and was a winter wonderland with snow packed roads and plows.  35/34 here at 3100’ with mix. 

• Like 9

Impressive winter weather headlines right now:

MDZ001-VAZ503-030500-
/O.CON.KLWX.WW.Y.0019.230502T2300Z-230503T1400Z/
Garrett-Western Highland-
437 PM EDT Tue May 2 2023

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 10 AM EDT
WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4 inches
  above 2500 feet, with a coating to 2 inches between 2000 and
  2500 feet. Winds gusting 30 to 40 mph.

O.CON.KPBZ.WS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-230503T1800Z/
Eastern Tucker-
Including the cities of Davis, Thomas, and Canaan Valley
255 PM EDT Tue May 2 2023

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 2 PM EDT WEDNESDAY...

* WHAT...Heavy wet snow. Additional snow accumulations between 3 and
  6 inches, with 6 to 8 inches possible in the highest elevations.
  Winds gusting as high as 35 mph.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, paulythegun said:

Fearless forecast for Canaan: 

ISSUED 9:30 ESDT TUESDAY (5-2-23)

Canaan Valley's 5.9 inches of snow reported in the last 24 hours has already set all-time records for total May monthly snowfall, greatest 24-hr. May snowfall, and greatest May snow depth (5 inches).  It ain't over yet.

Based on these observations, new model guidance, including lower elevation below-freezing temperatures developing this evening, I am lowering snowfall levels and upping my Fearless 3-day snow storm totals (Mon. through Wed. includes Thursday snowfall reports for Wed.) snowfall across the board as follows:

Elevation             Snowfall Amounts

2,000 to 2,500 ft.:  2-to-6 inches
2,500 to 3,000 ft.:  4-to-8 inches
3,000 to 3,500 ft.:  6-to-12 inches
3,500 to 4,000 ft.:  9-to-19 inches
4,000 to 4,500 ft.:  14-to-24 inches
4,500 ft. plus:        19-to-29 inches

The peak gust reported before VA Tech Dolly Sods wind instrumentation (4,050 ft.) froze up yesterday was 50 MPH.

Again, this heavy, wet, elevation-dependent snow is creating hazardous road conditions and could knock out power with downed trees and limbs. Use caution when traveling and take whatever precautionary measures you can for the potential loss of power for several days. 

Further updates as warranted.

Your Fearless Canaan Weatherman
(aka:  Bob Leffler)

I need to drop in and dig them out. Wouldnt want those guys up there to get all "punked out".

• Haha 1

Canaan Heights reporter this morning, "A historic day for all time record-breaking here. In records dating back more than a century, no May snowfall event has ever occurred that comes close to matching what has happened here"

16.2 inches has accumulated since Monday!

fwtrjenVFRz7sAcGdluFcJ1ck4z50ncSHKYqwSLYSaCVZvmfTBawEG5fRzXskVchI0vd-2KAHn4ObwImkeJBnOUfPTr8Ewv2b-w00792uJ-XzOxUwQCXvo_Trf-bmp9GyvB49wQLSrHTGQ

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mappy said:

this weather sucks

lol, I appreciate the snow pics because snow is awesome, but I'm kinda good on it imby until late November.  I'll continue to appreciate it from afar.

This has been a drab past few days (where it's not snowing), but the May stretch of clouds/mist for several weeks around 2016 was definitely worse.  Looks like a nicer stretch of weather incoming after that monstrosity of a GL low moves out to sea.

19 hours ago, jonjon said:

The 3715' elevation at Canaan Heights compared to your average 3400' is elevation event on steroids with this event. Do you accept your elevation as 3400 ft., one source says 3300 and another says 3500?

2 hours ago, 87storms said:

lol, I appreciate the snow pics because snow is awesome, but I'm kinda good on it imby until late November.  I'll continue to appreciate it from afar.

This has been a drab past few days (where it's not snowing), but the May stretch of clouds/mist for several weeks around 2016 was definitely worse.  Looks like a nicer stretch of weather incoming after that monstrosity of a GL low moves out to sea.

Good. Want 80s. Not 50s and clouds. 

• Like 1

• mappy unpinned this topic