Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

15 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

My car thermometer bounced between 50-52 from Tofte to Duluth. It was up to 79 by Moose Lake. I figured there could still be patches of snow in the higher terrain away from the lake but wasn’t expecting to see any snow/ice in the Temperance River gorge only a hundred feet above the lake. 

98661F7F-9D9E-4253-B82A-18ADBF06FE22.jpeg

That little bugger hiding under the cliff rock. NOOO! I don't want to go! LOL!

Wx the same today. 50's near the lake to 80's further inland. Typical. Still a smoky sky, too.

I just read the AB fires are so bad the bogs are literally burning.  Apparently lowland boreal forest in northern Alberta has a lot of thick peat mats.  Without a soaking rain that stuff could take months to fully burn. :(  Looks like the smoke is not going away any time soon.

• Sad 4

Very pleasant days in the 60's and 70's have been really nice for getting things done outside, and cool nights in the 40's are great for sleeping with the windows up... no complaints here.

Front moves through this evening tho, ushering in chilly highs in the 40's tomorrow with widespread freezing temps in the interior UP tomorrow night.   Thankfully, haven't planted anything too sensitive yet.  Have learned to wait until after June 1st for that.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, frostfern said:

I just read the AB fires are so bad the bogs are literally burning.  Apparently lowland boreal forest in northern Alberta has a lot of thick peat mats.  Without a soaking rain that stuff could take months to fully burn. :(  Looks like the smoke is not going away any time soon.

I don't need sunglasses.... saves on eye strain. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice day in the 70's here by the lake. Milky white skies from the smoke. Front moving through this evening will bring some rain, and some smoke will mix down. Winds switch to the NE quickly after passage bringing temps into the 50's again for tomorrow.

4 hours ago, weatherbo said:

Very pleasant days in the 60's and 70's have been really nice for getting things done outside, and cool nights in the 40's are great for sleeping with the windows up... no complaints here.

Front moves through this evening tho, ushering in chilly highs in the 40's tomorrow with widespread freezing temps in the interior UP tomorrow night.   Thankfully, haven't planted anything too sensitive yet.  Have learned to wait until after June 1st for that.

One good thing about being near the lake is I don't have to worry about frost now. Water keeps temps just warm enough, unlike inland areas. Hell, I've seen frost in July, and August away from lake in the past, including the recent past. Couldn't imagine what it was like in the "Year without a Summer" in 1816. Probably snowed half the time up here.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

There was soaking rain over much of Alberta the last few days. I believe it tampered things down in the source region of the smoke. 

Hopefully! The solid blue sky was so nice to see yesterday!!!  True sunglass weather B).   Looks like they have more rains expected over the next few weeks; nothing extreme but it should help.

• Like 1

Beautiful holiday weekend on tap here. 70's with clear blue skies. NO SMOKE! North bound traffic along the shore was pretty intense yesterday, and again today. Sunday into Monday will be just as bad heading south. Reminds me of NJ traffic along the Garden State Parkway decades ago. Same weekend phenomena. Ev1 heads south on Friday, and north on Sunday. When I would go visit my aunt n uncle in Paramus on the weekend from the base, I would have clear driving as I was heading the opposite of the heavy traffic.

5 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Great Plains ridging gonna mean endless upper 80s here. :sun:

Dews shouldn't be issue tho. Air pretty dry. Near critical fire wx on tap here with the S winds. A little unusual with that flow to have low dews, but the closer the front gets, that will change.

1 hour ago, Brian D said:

North bound traffic along the shore was pretty intense yesterday, and again today. Sunday into Monday will be just as bad heading south. 

I’ve learned to avoid Hwy 61 on holiday weekends, hence why we were up there last weekend. Apparently there have only been 2 precipitation free Memorial Day weekends since 2000 in Minneapolis, this will be the 3rd.

48 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

68 with a dew of 18. RH is 15%. This is ridiculous.

Drought is going to run us over fast.

40 degree low-to-high spread under high pressure ( very little airmass change  ) is impressive for this area.  Frosty mornings followed by high temps in the 70s is more typical of high desert climates.

2 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

MLI currently 79/28 with 15% humidity.  Don't see dews in the upper 20s very often in late May around these parts.  

You see why I get skeptical that we can get sufficient moisture for significant :twister:up into this region in late (let alone early, i.e. Winterset '22) March.