Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May 2023 General Discussion

Spartman

4 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Much better air quality today. Still some smoke aloft but significantly better then the last few days. Heading up to the north shore of superior this afternoon for the weekend. 

Enjoy. Very nice wx for tomorrow. Fair n 70's with Sunday being a little cool, and breezy. Cloudy, chilly today, tho.

11 hours ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

With .04" and no rain in the forecast for the extended, time to dust off this puppy. 

20230516_midwest_trd.png

Lol. IWX is all over it already.

Given the long duration of dry conditions in the forecast, it is
possible that a flash drought could occur towards the end of the
month. Rain totals across much of the CWA are between 1 to 2 inches
below normal for the month to date, and with prolonged dry
conditions expected through at least the end of the next week (if
not longer depending on how strong the upper level ridge can
get), this signals drought could develop. The CPC highlights the
southern half of our CWA as an area that could potentially
experience a rapid onset of drought conditions by the start of
June. This is something we will have to continue to monitor in the
coming week.

Camping along Lake Superior near Tofte Minnesota this weekend. The trees haven’t begun to leaf out yet and the grass has barely started growing. We got a treat last night when the northern lights paid us a visit. Now the little one is awake at 5am so daddy gets to watch the sunrise over the big lake they call Gitche Gumee.

EA450D53-E2B3-46EE-9386-710416A42093.jpeg

• Like 7

11 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

Camping along Lake Superior near Tofte Minnesota this weekend. The trees haven’t begun to leaf out yet and the grass has barely started growing. We got a treat last night when the northern lights paid us a visit. Now the little one is awake at 5am so daddy gets to watch the sunrise over the big lake they call Gitche Gumee.

EA450D53-E2B3-46EE-9386-710416A42093.jpeg

I watched them for a few minutes last night when they came out around 10:30-11 pm. Very nice show. Not as intense as I've seen in the past, but cool nonetheless.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

A beautiful day in the low 70's after .39" of rain last night.  Really tamped down the dust and pollen, if only temporarily.

Last piles of snow on the north side of the house melted today.

After about a 1/2" of rain here yesterday the pollen was very much down today.  It truly felt like a breath of fresh air.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Lightning said:

After about a 1/2" of rain here yesterday the pollen was very much down today.  It truly felt like a breath of fresh air.

A little on the cool side, but seeing real blue sky again is nice.  The rain yesterday mostly skipped over me though.  

19 minutes ago, frostfern said:

A little on the cool side, but seeing real blue sky again is nice.  The rain yesterday mostly skipped over me though.  

Sadly it was windy, cloudy and cool today here.  Tomorrow looks top notch 75/sunny/wind under 10mph!!!

1 hour ago, weatherbo said:

A beautiful day in the low 70's after .39" of rain last night.  Really tamped down the dust and pollen, if only temporarily.

Last piles of snow on the north side of the house melted today.

70's here too. Wonderful day for this time of year. 11 pm, and still have my window open with calm winds. Very nice! :)  

• Like 1

What can I say without sounding like a broken record? This weather is just *chefs kiss*. Blazin buffalo burgers and aloha brats on the grill and a topless jeep ride on the agenda today.

Drought conditions should escalate over the coming two weeks with minimal rain chances and warm temps. 

• Like 1

Getting pissed off with every cloudless day being smoked out where the sky is always this milky hue blotting out the sun! :fulltilt:. As soon as the nightmare Apr is over now this shit. I do actually feel the dampening effects as my best day was the one where the smoke was absent. My station is showing a nearly 25% reduction in lux compared to a normal sunny day so when I should be hitting 100K lux mid-day I'm not even getting over 88K and typically like today its sitting at 75K avg. The longevity of this smoke is unprecedented here as I've never seen it all May like this. May 2012 only had a few days not weeks.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Brian D said:

Cooler today in the mid 50's with a stiff E wind off the lake. Still have thick smoke aloft, tho, and that looks to be spread across the N sub, and over the Plains region. Thinning out some as it goes over NE WI/L MI.

My car thermometer bounced between 50-52 from Tofte to Duluth. It was up to 79 by Moose Lake. I figured there could still be patches of snow in the higher terrain away from the lake but wasn’t expecting to see any snow/ice in the Temperance River gorge only a hundred feet above the lake. 

98661F7F-9D9E-4253-B82A-18ADBF06FE22.jpeg