• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May obs/discussion thread - Welcome to Severe Season!!

weatherwiz

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I am too young to remember this personally, but it’s not surprising central CT couldn’t muster high end severe during one of the benchmark severe events in New England. I’m mostly kidding..

We were talking about that a week ago. I remember it. Two days later another high end severe event occurred too.

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I am too young to remember this personally, but it’s not surprising central CT couldn’t muster high end severe during one of the benchmark severe events in New England. I’m mostly kidding..

That was an awesome day. I was riveted to TWC all day. One of the most menacing skies I’ve seen in any severe event when the line came through in the evening. Also my second ever experience with hail, the first being golf balls with the ‘89 F4. 

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

We were talking about that a week ago. I remember it. Two days later another high end severe event occurred too.

I've been working nonstop lately. I missed that conversation. The build up to that must have been crazy.  

8 minutes ago, Hoth said:

That was an awesome day. I was riveted to TWC all day. One of the most menacing skies I’ve seen in any severe event when the line came through in the evening. Also my second ever experience with hail, the first being golf balls with the ‘89 F4. 

I may just be crazy unlucky (or lucky) but I can only recall hail twice imby. Once in DC where I literally ran out the door when I saw it falling, and the other here in CT during thundersleet on 12/30/19. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I've been working nonstop lately. I missed that conversation. The build up to that must have been crazy.  

I may just be crazy unlucky (or lucky) but I can only recall hail twice imby. Once in DC where I literally ran out the door when I saw it falling, and the other here in CT during thundersleet on 12/30/19. 

It was super well forecast. The Friday prior (05.29) we had a strong cold front come through which also produced severe weather. The cold front then stalled to our south. That Sunday morning, it lifted north as a warm front bringing rain and thunderstorms during the morning (I even think there was some severe with this). I want to say by 10...11 the latest we were all out sun and the temps and dews skyrocketed. I obviously didn't know what an EML was at the time (never encountered that until I joined the boards) but we had an EML overhead. 

I remember them talking about potential tornadoes on the news/radio/weather channel the Saturday before. You almost never heard the word tornado used up this way in forecasts lol. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Hail is generally a small-area phenomenon (outside of the high plains) but you know that.  Last June 13 was our best hail experience in our 25 years here, with some dime-size icecubes but nowhere near enough to damage the tomato vines.  Even so, it brought more hail than the sum total of hail for all prior years here.  In contrast, the storm of 8/30/2007 dumped hail 4" deep on a few thousand acres, damaged houses (one adjuster allowed for new roof, siding and windows on a home) and defoliated and partially debarked trees within 6-7 miles of our place, also covering the road with 6" of leaf salad.  Some golf ball-size chunks hit the above noted home, but the water-stacked piles along Rt 27 that I sampled 24 hours later contained nickel/quarter stuff.

• Like 2