• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
May obs/discussion thread - Welcome to Severe Season!!

weatherwiz

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The 12z suite has shifted east . Other than the two hi res posted 

Are you drunk?  Or I'm more and more convinced you never look at model guidance (Twitter does not count as looking at model guidance lol).

GFS/GGEM/RGEM/3kNAM/HRRR all westward shifts at 12z.

GFS:

gfs.thumb.png.a1dd0983ca39da1b54bf75ba2b0e61e2.png

GGEM went west.

ggem.thumb.png.37f83addabb59102b70bf37931762b34.png

RGEM went west.

RGEM.thumb.png.b3a5ef0ec596d48947950b414b5da9b6.png

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Are you drunk?  Or I'm more and more convinced you truly never look at model guidance.  Twitter does not count as looking at model guidance.

GFS/GGEM/RGEM/3kNAM/HRRR all westward shifts at 12z.

GFS:

gfs.thumb.png.a1dd0983ca39da1b54bf75ba2b0e61e2.png

GGEM went west.

ggem.thumb.png.37f83addabb59102b70bf37931762b34.png

RGEM went west.

RGEM.thumb.png.b3a5ef0ec596d48947950b414b5da9b6.png

Only hi res shifted west. CMC / GFS/ 12k nam favor SE areas. And 6z euro and gfs went east . We’ll see what 12z does. Fish laid it all out there for you. This favors 95 and SE for heaviest . I’m thinking .25-.50 here give or take. Not sure what you’re not understanding.

• Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Only hi res shifted west. CMC / GFS/ 12k nam favor SE areas. And 6z euro went east . We’ll see what 12z does. Fish laid it all out there for you. This favors 95 and SE for heaviest . I’m thinking .25-.50 here give or take. Not sure what you’re not understanding.

I can't.  I give up. 

Can only show a horse where the water is but can't make him drink it.  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I can't.  I give up.

Can only show a horse where the water is but can't make him drink it.  

I don't get it either.   Western CT went from fringe to getting 1-2 inches on most models-some even as far back as NJ now...

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Toss in the Hirpes too as a big shift westward.

Weird all the mesos like 3km NAM, HRRR, HRDPS, etc are so big way west.  Must have identical algorithms or something.

HIRES.thumb.png.7fcc7b4636b4240a2032d43c60669df1.png

The finer meshed model types have averaged on the western side of the envelope from what I've been seeing.

This also has some convective aspects to it - just scoping the region LI's they are down to -1..-2 range, so a lot of that probably is also "convective smear" - what's likely to really happen is a generalize .75" along a conduit that's ...say 30 to 40 mile's wide/core of a PWAT plume lifting up EC from subtropics NE of Florida, but within that axis ...a couple of training orange lightning producers with short duration rain rates stripe a 2.25.  I don't see this event as being >3.0" over that large of an area though

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The finer meshed model types have averaged on the western side of the envelope from what I've been seeing.

This also has some convective aspects to it - just scoping the region LI's they are down to -1..-2 range, so a lot of that probably is also "convective smear" - what's likely to really happen is a generalize .75" along a conduit that's ...say 30 to 40 mile's wide/core of a PWAT plume lifting up EC from subtropics NE of Florida, but within that axis ...a couple of training orange lightning producers with short duration rain rates stripe a 2.25.  I don't see this event as being >3.0" over that large of an area though

Yeah agreed.  Usually that stripe means a narrower area of heavy rain training totals, amid a more general widespread rain.  I like your layout... say a narrow stripe of 2-3", among a more widespread 0.75-1.25" or something.

Either way, should be a nice widespread drink.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah agreed.  Usually that stripe means a narrower area of heavy rain training totals, amid a more general widespread rain.  I like your layout... say a narrow stripe of 2-3", among a more widespread 0.75-1.25" or something.

Need it here-almost nothing since 4/30.   Pollen is thick on everything...

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

god I f'n hopes so... 

I mean it won't stop the stein nimrodery but it's like a fetish to try - lol

• Haha 1

Not sure why others are a fighting the westward trend/versions? 

is there something particularly at stake in having it rain or something?

I mean ... it rains the most of what rains ... at night.  So who the f cares.   You can't run humanity on a planet that doesn't rain, so consider yourselves lucky that by 10 am on Sunday it's already 70 with d-slope light tepid breezes under periwinkle blue skies ... with at that time, life nourishing water put back in the bank. 

I don't get it...  Is it maybe because people are seeking some sort of dystopian jerk off over a drought?  You're not getting that anyway

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I mean ... it rains the most of what rains ... at night.  So who the f cares.   You can't run humanity on a planet that doesn't rain, so consider yourselves lucky that by 10 am on Sunday it's already 70 with d-slope light tepid breezes under periwinkle blue skies ... with at that time, life nourishing water put back in the bank. 

I don't get it...  Is it maybe because people are seeking some sort of dystopian jerk off over a drought?  You're not getting that anyway

Not here-models have it come in at 8am or so and go all day. And outside of this event what else interesting is there to discuss?

51 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm a little surprised the interaction with the low tracking north and the front progressing east isn't resulting in a widespread blossoming of precipitation. This is almost like a winter phasing event in a way. The dynamics all around are pretty good with great ulvl divergence across the region. Only thing I'm thinking of is maybe some shortwave subsidence between the two systems? But I 100% agree with you're assessment on this. 

I'm also wondering if the degree of dynamics will result in either a westward shift of QPF axis or a wider QPF axis.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It’s like a Stockholm Syndrome… don’t want their captor to let them go free.  Need to have a reason to discuss “Stein” and worship it.

An inch of rain is immensely boring as it removes that dialog for at least 7-10 days.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm a little surprised the interaction with the low tracking north and the front progressing east isn't resulting in a widespread blossoming of precipitation. This is almost like a winter phasing event in a way. The dynamics all around are pretty good with great ulvl divergence across the region. Only thing I'm thinking of is maybe some shortwave subsidence between the two systems? But I 100% agree with you're assessment on this. 

I'm also wondering if the degree of dynamics will result in either a westward shift of QPF axis or a wider QPF axis.

PWATS are very high--1.75 or so, as soon as lift comes in should pour one would think

1684605600-TGjdNBN8Gu8.png

12 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Nothing wrong with discussing what’s east and what’s west. In the end no one knows . Either way Stein will get lots of discussion as folks enjoy it 

RTB0lbN.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nothing wrong with discussing what’s east and what’s west. In the end no one knows . Either way Stein will get lots of discussion as folks enjoy it 

RTB0lbN.jpg

Well either the Euro is onto something or on something. I hope it's wrong, we need the rain here. No rain here for almost 2 weeks, it was like mowing the Sahara this week....