• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
May obs/discussion thread - Welcome to Severe Season!!

weatherwiz

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Hard freeze last night at 29F. Still early to let the gardens run wild.

28 this morning with light frost, hoping tomorrow won't get much cooler and fry some of the new growth.  Fortunately, the apple blossoms haven't opened yet.  When we had low 20s during the 2nd week of May 2010, blossoms were full and 100% were killed - not a single fruit from our 3 trees that year.  Puffy clouds against a deeper color than yesterday's smoke-filtered light blue.

• Like 1

Today is an interesting 12 hour cool snap, one that happened to coincide with this smoke ribbon aloft to perhaps limit further. 

Tomorrow we 70 to 73 ... I'm just wondering if this smoke ribbon is a factor -

Thursday looks sneaky very warm for much of SNE ... 

MET's up over 80 already in the interior, and looking at the synoptic metrics ( smoke permitting ? ), I could see that more likely 84 .. 85.    850s have been rising about quarter to a half a point per cycle the last couple of days, now nearing +10C, through which there is full sun and WNW wind of 8 -12 mph (which is d-slope).   EURO and GFS are bit dicey with elevated RH fields, but they were similar heading into last weekend's deep layer NW flow warm up, and how did that turn out - zip cloud periwinkle blue skies.  900 to 300 mb deep layer light flow coming over the terrain and heading down slope will tend to evolve more optimistic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

It's just an excuse for those who didn't install. They act like their freezing when reality is they're melting in a puddle of sweat. 

I’ll never understand the “don’t install until it’s hot mentality”. You just put them in , in the spring and they’re ready to go. It doesn’t let any cold air or anything into the house if you’ve got hood insulation and windows. It’s absolutely baffling to me why a select few won’t install 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ll never understand the “don’t install until it’s hot mentality”. You just put them in , in the spring and they’re ready to go. It doesn’t let any cold air or anything into the house if you’ve got hood insulation and windows. It’s absolutely baffling to me why a select few won’t install 

This I agree with.

My aunt leaves her bedroom A/C in year round as well as her living room A/C. She lives in a small space because it's just her. When I was with her even during the coldest of days/nights you couldn't feel any cold air seeping in and the heat was never set more then 67-68 and was not going constantly. 

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I think it was 2015. I think even Kevin thought about uninstalling.

I always like how BOS had 1 max in the 40s in June in their entire historical record until they pulled 2 in a row that June.

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You just put them in , 

This. It’s a very easy task that isn’t worth even thinking about or worrying about.

If you want a window A/C in, you pick it up and you put it in. When it’s hot, or when it’s cold. Doesn’t matter. Pick it up, put it in.

You just put them in, whenever you want.  We aren’t replacing a roof or a boiler here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This. It’s a very easy task that isn’t worth even thinking about or worrying about.

If you want a window A/C in, you pick it up and you put it in. When it’s hot, or when it’s cold. Doesn’t matter. Pick it up, put it in.

You just put them in, whenever you want.  We aren’t replacing a roof or a boiler here.

I'll never understand why someone would put them in before the last snow, when we have 2 months or so of enjoying fresh air and unobstructed views. Kevin's house in the Spring is like sitting in the seats of the old Boston Garden with a hunk of metal in front of your face.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's simple with the newer units that are much lighter or smaller (and energy friendly) but for those that stull use larger units, especially for big rooms...those are brutal to do alone and moving those things when it's hot/humid...terrible.

When I worked at the Children's Museum in West Hartford they had these huge units (took 2 people to lug and transport). IDK why they waited until it was already hot or humid but that was one of the worst things I ever did. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

I'll never understand why someone would put them in before the last snow, when we have 2 months or so of enjoying fresh air and unobstructed views. Kevin's house in the Spring is like sitting in the seats of the old Boston Garden with a hunk of metal in front of your face.

You of all people the sweat hog. Why not just put it up and in.. get all the taping done and not worry about it? Do you only have one window to look out of? I mean look out the window next to it if you’re worried about seeing the ground below.. or just look out over the top of it. Novel idea.. I know 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You of all people the sweat hog. Why not just put it up and in.. get all the taping done and not worry about it? Do you only have one window to look out of? I mean look out the window next to it if you’re worried about seeing the ground below.. or just look out over the top of it. Novel idea.. I know 

Why even take them out in winter? You don't radiate and those warm fronts rip right through there no problem.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I don't sweat. I have no issue when the time is right to throw them in. I just hate them overall. Would rather enjoy the time without them.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Why even take them out in winter? You don't radiate and those warm fronts rip right through there no problem.

Yeah I mean not a bad question… why take them out if it doesn’t matter?

Save the psychological stress of deciding when to put it in during the next spring.

12 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I don't sweat. I have no issue when the time is right to throw them in. I just hate them overall. Would rather enjoy the time without them.

Yeah we now have it there all the time with the mini-splits and it’s so easy to cool/heat at a moments notice…but I hated the look in the windows previously. In BTV I’d take the thing out and put it back in almost every other day as needed. Get a few days with low dews and windows open, thing went on the floor of the hallway closet, lol. 

• Like 1

You guys should spring for central ac before you move out of your homes.  We’re at a point in sne where it’s a major factor for buyers.   I would say 80% of homes on my street have it with most doing it over the past 15-20 years.   

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I wait because I don’t really like air conditioning.  I only install if there is an absolutely oppressive airmass incoming. 
Otherwise I just roll with windows open at night.  
There have been a few summers where I never ended up installing. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I wait because I don’t really like air conditioning.  I only install if there is an absolutely oppressive airmass incoming. 
Otherwise I just roll with windows open at night.  
There have been a few summers where I never ended up installing. 

I'll add, that I refuse to put the one in the upstairs bedroom until necessary because it's fugly and I hate to see it every time I drive into the driveway. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I mean not a bad question… why take them out if it doesn’t matter?

Save the psychological stress of deciding when to put it in during the next spring.

Installing is sort of like putting up Christmas lights, you don't leave Xmas lights up year round;  and when it's time to install, it's spiritual and emotional. A family affair possibly.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

You guys should spring for central ac before you move out of your homes.  We’re at a point in sne where it’s a major factor for buyers.   I would say 80% of homes on my street have it with most doing it over the past 15-20 years.   

I would say based on what I see in my area over 90% of new homes are built with central ac now, percentage might even be higher overalll. The high priced homes it's 100%.

5 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

We use ours for domestic hot water, so it runs all year

We used to as well, then our storage popped a leak.  Replaced it with a hybrid electric water heater.  That works well.  We use less oil and the heat pump acts as a dehumidifier.

• Like 1