• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Spring 2023

5 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

Chester County also exceeds 1,000 ft ASL with their highest spot which is in Honey Brook at 1,071 Feet ASL near Welsh Mountain.

Yea, there are a few counties where some maps show a sliver of them being considered the LSV.  Chester is one, Schuylkill  is one, etc.     I was just lazy and kept with the counties that have a larger chunk on those maps.    I probably could have kept Berks off the list as well. 

• Like 1

Yea, there are a few counties where some maps show a sliver of them being considered the LSV.  Chester is one, Schuylkill  is one, etc.     I was just lazy and kept with the counties that have a larger chunk on those maps.    I probably could have kept Berks off the list as well. 
What is that magenta color area called? Middle Susquehanna?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

What is that magenta color area called? Middle Susquehanna?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

LOL, if you ask one person you will get one answer and another person gives you a different answer.   On some maps the MSV goes from the Northern LSV line all the way to NY and the USV is in NY.  Other maps are more PA centric and have the MSV and USV both in PA. 

I always considered Franklin and Cumberland counties to be, you know, the Cumberland valley. It's weird to me that they would consider Chambersburg part of the Susquehanna valley when it's an hour's drive away and closer to the Potomac.

New rule: Franklin county from Scotland south is now the Upper Potomac valley.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I always considered Franklin and Cumberland counties to be, you know, the Cumberland valley. It's weird to me that they would consider Chambersburg part of the Susquehanna valley when it's an hour's drive away and closer to the Potomac.

New rule: Franklin county from Scotland south is now the Upper Potomac valley.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Map - ICPRB

I commented last night about how we filled nearly an entire page with evening smoke obs - only to log in just now and discover 2 full pages of new posts overnight/this morning!

This is quickly moving into HECS territory. :)  

On a serious note...be careful everyone. I was working late at the office last night and was moving between building a lot. The smoke late last evening was something else and I could definitely smell and feel it. Waves of it blowing through when the breeze picked up. I'm working today at the Visitor's Center in Columbia which sits right by the river and I can barely make out the hills in York County currently. That's about 1 mile visibility. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I commented last night about how we filled nearly an entire page with evening smoke obs - only to log in just now and discover 2 full pages of new posts overnight/this morning!

This is quickly moving into HECS territory. :)  

On a serious note...be careful everyone. I was working late at the office last night and was moving between building a lot. The smoke late last evening was something else and I could definitely smell and feel it. Waves of it blowing through when the breeze picked up. I'm working today at the Visitor's Center in Columbia which sits right by the river and I can barely make out the hills in York County currently. That's about 1 mile visibility. 

On a Spring thread when we are in Met summer.  LOL.  You watch, on Sept one people will be clamoring to start a fall thread. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

On a Spring thread when we are in Met summer.  LOL.  You watch, on Sept on people will be clamoring to start a fall thread. 

Ain't that the truth!

I said yesterday how the sky looks like it does during Albert Clippers of the past, but what is a better analogy is August skies from the 1970s when the heat and humidity were sky high. The amount of haze back then is very reminiscent of what the skies have looked like the past couple of days. 

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Ain't that the truth!

I said yesterday how the sky looks like it does during Albert Clippers of the past, but what is a better analogy is August skies from the 1970s when the heat and humidity were sky high. The amount of haze back then is very reminiscent of what the skies have looked like the past couple of days. 

A testament to the lower amounts of pollution taking place...at least the kind that worked toward much of that "smog". 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, CoralRed said:

Thanks for putting the pictures up. I am in Williamsport. As I recall, you are in eastern Lycoming County. I was just curious where these were taken. We care going to be worse tomorrow. Earlier we were 120 something and now we are in Red at 164. Bloomsburg is worse in the 180s for the usual PM2.5 measurement and over 200 for PM10.

Yipes! I went back to Wunderground and saw at 2:03a PM2.5 was 189 at Bloomsburg. At 2:15 it was 5 points higher in less that 15 minutes!

2:15 AM  PM2.5  194.48
2:15 AM  PM10   208.79

Overlook facing elimsport on sulphur springs road

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Northeastern PA in the thick of it right now.  #ItsComing

image.thumb.jpeg.7eeba40e1a078781762bb9815e677b66.jpeg

Well that explains why the air quality is doubly as bad just north of here. It's 170 here in Enola and I've never ever seen the air quality anywhere this high. Ever. Even during the worst air quality alerts it's only ever gotten around 80 or 90 here. Absolutely insane. I hope that stuff doesn't come farther south

2 minutes ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

Well that explains why the air quality is doubly as bad just north of here. It's 170 here in Enola and I've never ever seen the air quality anywhere this high. Ever. Even during the worst air quality alerts it's only ever gotten around 80 or 90 here. Absolutely insane. I hope that stuff doesn't come farther south

Oh it is.  It's rotating southeast pretty swiftly.  This evening will be "interesting" around here. 

15 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Northeastern PA in the thick of it right now.  #ItsComing

image.thumb.jpeg.7eeba40e1a078781762bb9815e677b66.jpeg

NWS Binghamton tweeted at 9:45am that their temp was "stuck on 50" and despite a lack of clouds, the sun was completely covered by the thickness of the smoke. MU's twitter feed has the exact tweet plus a picture of the sky up there. Seriously, it's crazy to see. 

Edit: They also mentioned that there parking lot lights had come back on...it was that dark. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

NWS Binghamton tweeted at 9:45am that their temp was "stuck on 50" and despite a lack of clouds, the sun was completely covered by the thickness of the smoke. MU's twitter feed has the exact tweet plus a picture of the sky up there. Seriously, it's crazy to see. 

Edit: They also mentioned that there parking lot lights had come back on...it was that dark. 

Just saw that exact tweet.  Surreal.  Here it is....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2