Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2023

8 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

unreal on this on going cold.

I have seen a lot of posts the last two months saying that night might be the last 30's.   This AM or tomorrow AM for some may truly be it for the season.   Although like I commented yesterday, Williamsport has seen 30's in later June.   FWIW,  this is the first day this month MDT has made it into the 30's unless their readings are deceiving and it was actually 40.   Today will easily be another BN at MDT making it 12 of 18 May days they end up BN so far. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

unreal on this on going cold.

PS, it does not exactly match on monthly days,  but you getting to 29/30 is the same as getting there on Sept 24 or 25 as to normals.   Impressive.

We just had a gust of wind to 34 here.  That is a main reason we did not get below freezing as we never de-coupled completely.   Too windy here. 

• Like 1

It seems we got down to about 35-36 here but some low-lying rurals nearby did slightly drop below freezing.  No real signs of frost but I brought the plants in last night to be safe.  

Looking more and more like Saturday will just be another strung out frontal passage that dries up upon approach.  Really hope I'm wrong because outside of that and some very spotty convective activity there isn't much of anything in the extended forecast.  This really could end up as one of the driest Mays on record if things keep up, as someone mentioned recently (forget who, apologies).  Anything around an inch or less would put us solidly in the top ten and half an inch or under would be top 3.  The record for MDT is .29" from 1902 and we currently sit at only .15".  Will be interesting to follow.

The eastern US captured the national low, with Mount Washington checking in at a brisk 12 degrees.  Enjoy the weekend everyone.  Let's hope for some moisture Saturday, and in any case, it looks like another beautiful Sunday.  Cheers!

11 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

It seems we got down to about 35-36 here but some low-lying rurals nearby did slightly drop below freezing.  No real signs of frost but I brought the plants in last night to be safe.  

Looking more and more like Saturday will just be another strung out frontal passage that dries up upon approach.  Really hope I'm wrong because outside of that and some very spotty convective activity there isn't much of anything in the extended forecast.  This really could end up as one of the driest Mays on record if things keep up, as someone mentioned recently (forget who, apologies).  Anything around an inch or less would put us solidly in the top ten and half an inch or under would be top 3.  The record for MDT is .29" from 1902 and we currently sit at only .15".  Will be interesting to follow.

The eastern US captured the national low, with Mount Washington checking in at a brisk 12 degrees.  Enjoy the weekend everyone.  Let's hope for some moisture Saturday, and in any case, it looks like another beautiful Sunday.  Cheers!

JNS made the mention you refer to above.  One more Mow (#7) and that will be it until it rains again.  Grass has almost come to a full halt, and I had a decent rain on Saturday.  With the sun being so "close" we cannot go 4-5 days without rain and not have the ground start to parch.   May is erasing everything late April brought. 

• Like 1

Going to take a shot at the next Potted Plant Advisory (PPA) as we come out of the one from this AM....Sept 21st.   On the plus side (except those that love to burn) we are 13 days from day 1 of Summer and have experienced very little summer temps (80+) to this point so can check the box for no early summer this year. 

• Sad 1

Some of the lower and coldest spots like Marsh Creek did briefly hit the freezing mark this morning.  Here in East Nantmeal we dropped to 35.9 degrees this is the 3rd coldest May 18th reading since 1894. Only colder were both 1983 and 1973 at 33 degrees. Well below normal temps will continue today before warming to near normal tomorrow. Rain chances increase on Saturday before clearing out on Sunday. Let's hope for some much needed rain as we are now exactly 5" below normal for the year.
Records for today: High 95 (1962) / Low 33 (1983/1973) / Rain 2.39" (1988)
image.png.7057fa94a440bbbe7eb7093716992614.png

33 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Looks like the stuff in the garden survived, but I don't think they can take another night of what we just experienced.

Glad your stuff made it. That should probably be the coldest we see until September (well let's be real - we know we'll keep summer through until October since everything is now off kilter)