• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Central PA Spring 2023

Greetings from Mammoth Lakes California! We arrived in town around 2:30 local time and were treated by the sight of a thunderstorm up on the mountain with snow at the summit. I hope to be able to share some pics in the coming days but I'm pinching myself right now in awe. There's about 4 feet of snow left here but it is melting quicker than Joel Embiid in a playoff game. The person that checked us in said the snowpack went down nearly 5 feet this week! Glad we got in when we did before it's all gone. Still nearly 15 feet on the mountain.
I did not see any of the "game" but will offer this quickly - I have said for the past 3 years that the Philadelphia 76ers will not win with Joel Embiid. I have taken a LOT of abuse over my commentary but I stand with that sentiment today. Embiid is a Fantasy basketball player- he puts up great Fantasy numbers, but anyone who thinks he's a winner is living in Fantasy world. The team will make a lot of changes during the off-season but as long as they build around #21 the team will not win. I've been waiting to be proven wrong and I don't think that day is coming.

Embiid does not know how to win. He needs to go.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Philly Inquirer called him Gutless.  Hard words for a front page. 
Last year, on this very forum, I stated that a healthy Joel Embiid was capable of taking over an entire season.

He did. The entire regular season.

He lacks the killer instinct and mentality (Mamba comes to mind) needed to win the big games. Gutless is one way to describe it.

It comes as a shock that being a native of Cameroon, he would lack a killer instinct. So many Cameroonian athletes are elite for that very reason. He's from the same damned village as Francis Ngannou. Now we know who won the bread for the townsfolk there.

First full day in Mammoth Lakes:

70+ Mammoth Lakes California Home Stock Photos, Pictures & Royalty-Free  Images - iStock

We will be riding the scenic gondola shortly...I'll try and get something up tonight. This was taken from outside our condo in town. Average snow depth is town ranges from as little as 40" or so to as much as 80" closer to the "village" at the base of the mountain. That is where the gondola starts and is the place where the cam is located that I've shared multiple times over the past several months. It's currently in the upper 50s - pic was taken mid-morning today. We'll be here for 2 more nights before starting to head south through CA. 

Air is...different, that's for sure. Our condo sits at about 7,750' and I can sure feel the difference when moving around. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

It's remarkable how much this town is like the beach communities on the east coast - yesterday was NUTS...people everywhere. Woke up this morning and it's a ghost town. I was looking at the lift cams earlier and there are many chairs without skiers and boarders on them. Also, hours were cut starting today, last uphill access is at 3pm. 

• Like 3

It's remarkable how much this town is like the beach communities on the east coast - yesterday was NUTS...people everywhere. Woke up this morning and it's a ghost town. I was looking at the lift cams earlier and there are many chairs without skiers and boarders on them. Also, hours were cut starting today, last uphill access is at 3pm. 
Please keep posting updates. I grind through 50 hrs a week hoping to one day take a trip like this

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Voyager said:

Gotta love the flame graphics on this pic from Facebook...lol

FB_IMG_1684195638892.jpg

At what point is a devil with a pitchfork running around included in the graphics? I was going to say 110 but on second thought, isn't 110 pretty common? I hope we will stay comfy here for a few more weeks before the heat and humidity kick in and stay on for the next three months or more.

2 hours ago, CoralRed said:

At what point is a devil with a pitchfork running around included in the graphics? I was going to say 110 but on second thought, isn't 110 pretty common? I hope we will stay comfy here for a few more weeks before the heat and humidity kick in and stay on for the next three months or more.

Couldnt find a definitive answer, but Phoenix averages somewhere around 15 days over 110 each year.

• Haha 1

Good morning - why I'm up this early on vacation is puzzling even to me, but the gondola ride yesterday was...wow, it was so freaking beautiful! Unfortunately, most of the pics are lousy due to glare from the sun reflecting off the windows...below is one I got shortly after leaving the village. What struck me is how little snow remains on exposed hillsides at "lower" elevations. The town still has several feet of snow cover mainly due to the fact that the town is essentially in a forest. Open areas around here, the snow has vaporized. In fact, the only snow in this general area is now on the mountain itself and the immediate town of Mammoth Lakes. If we were to drive 3-4 miles south on CA Rt. 203 out of Mammoth the ground is 100% bare other than some piles. 

Mammoth Mountain Panorama Gondola - AllTrips

We are doing some hiking this morning and then biking this afternoon. Tomorrow we'll leave midday and head west towards the Pacific (Mammoth is way inland, much closer to Nevada than the ocean) and then we'll head down the PCH starting Thursday. This weekend will be spent in the LA basin before starting the train trek east all of next week. 

• Like 5

I wish I could explain the "dynamic" of this area better - of course, Mammoth got a record amount of snow this past winter. What might not be so obvious is how "precarious" this area is to the rain/snow line. (yes, that is something they contend with even here) During many winter storms, the area is flooded with warm Pacific air and the snow line often ends up somewhere in the 7,000 to 8,000 foot range. The town sits at just under 8,000'. For most of the winter, the town was JUST above the rain/snow line, especially during the bigger storms that dropped feet of snow at a time. Along with that, and sitting at the base of the mountain, Mammoth is obviously higher in elevation than areas around here. So when we drove into town on Sunday we were amazed at how quickly we went from bare ground to feet of snow...it happened in a matter of 3 miles. It literally wasn't until the last 5 minutes or so of our trip into town did we finally see snow cover. It really is bizarre how the town manages to find itself JUST inside the "snow zone" every winter. Mammoth Lakes averages about 250" of snow annually...the next town down the road averages about 60". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Maybe the Sixers need to clean out their front office and install their TV analyst to run shit as well. . Rivers warned of their downfall, saw it happen, did very little to stop if from happening, but still is the wrong guy to get the sack.

In other news: Mow #4 went in the books yesterday. I uh... there's brown grass already. I think we need more rain.

1 minute ago, Jns2183 said:

Grass lovers should be rejoicing at the cool temperatures and all the mornings with dew on the grass. It's keeping stuff alive. In camp hill all is as green as green gets.

It is green here as well though I had more rain than many on here.  Mowing at 3" right now to try and let it last though I hate not having a cleanly cut look to the grass when it is that high. 

I think MDT might have a chance for under .51" rain for month and top 3 driest May. But that last week in May will probably have some convection around that it will have to dodge to do that. At this point it seems like a given we go into that last week of May with a top 3 dry May on the line.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1