• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2023

MDT on a 5 day consecutive stretch of BN temps.  They will make it into double digit days if the GFS is right.   The key point here being that would mean April had 14 days BN, if it makes it's through this weekend, leaving the month an almost even split of AN vs BN days.  The AN days were higher departures though. 

• Like 1

It looks like a pretty wet weekend is on the way for the area. Rain should spread from southwest to northeast across the county this morning and continue pretty heavy into tomorrow morning. It looks like over an inch of rain is likely for much of the county with this 1st round of rain (see below). A 2nd round of rain looks to move in by Sunday morning with a chance of another 1" plus of rain. All of this represents some much needed rain for the local farmers and all of our lawns! Temperatures will continue to run well below normal through at least the next week as we roll into the first week of May.

image.thumb.png.bbd3bc9b02438f58654fd410af5ae1a0.png

• Thanks 1

Let's talk about a June 1982. (Day/max temp)
6/3 66
6/4 65
6/5 60
6/6 64

6/10 62
6/11 63
6/12 62
6/13 54

2nd coldest June ever by max temp with mean of 73.8
7 days below 65, next highest has 4
4th wetest with 8.12" but only rained 12 days

The other interesting June in the 1980s was 1989. Only 6.02" but rained 20 days.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, Jns2183 said:

Let's talk about a June 1982. (Day/max temp)
6/3 66
6/4 65
6/5 60
6/6 64

6/10 62
6/11 63
6/12 62
6/13 54

2nd coldest June ever by max temp with mean of 73.8
7 days below 65, next highest has 4
4th wetest with 8.12" but only rained 12 days

The other interesting June in the 1980s was 1989. Only 6.02" but rained 20 days.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My birth year.

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

Steady rain and 46 this AM.   CTP's zone for MDT went from 3PM to 8AM. 

I do not personally like to be critical of CTP and have defended them numerous times over the years...but this simple post of yours sort of sparked 2 issues that I have with them:

1. There are often discrepancies between their forecasts and their maps. This is the map they posted publicly yesterday morning:

Clearly, they anticipated rain to be into the greater Harrisburg area by midday. If that's the case then their forecast should match it. And this map was the inspiration behind my 11:07:32 post that I made about when I thought rain would arrive in Maytown. LOL

2. My second thing is this - have you or anyone else noticed the "bizarre" wording in some of their forecasts? For example, last week there was a day when my forecast was this: "A chance of showers after 1pm, then showers and thunderstorms after 3pm, then showers and thunderstorms likely after 4pm, then showers after 5pm, then a chance of showers after 8pm." 

That's a lot to digest, but can someone tell me what is the difference between saying that there will be showers, and then showers are likely? Doesn't likely mean that essentially...there will be showers? To me, that's just too much information. We've already come to the conclusion that the majority of the public is lost when it comes to weather...a forecast like the one I just referenced doesn't help any, I think. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I forgot half of you old farts switched to Miller High Life at the turn of the century.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Anduril said:

Have you seen some of the weirdness that happens with posts here? Im not sure they do know how to use the internet! ;)

My daughter would agree with this

59 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I do not personally like to be critical of CTP and have defended them numerous times over the years...but this simple post of yours sort of sparked 2 issues that I have with them:

1. There are often discrepancies between their forecasts and their maps. This is the map they posted publicly yesterday morning:

Clearly, they anticipated rain to be into the greater Harrisburg area by midday. If that's the case then their forecast should match it. And this map was the inspiration behind my 11:07:32 post that I made about when I thought rain would arrive in Maytown. LOL

2. My second thing is this - have you or anyone else noticed the "bizarre" wording in some of their forecasts? For example, last week there was a day when my forecast was this: "A chance of showers after 1pm, then showers and thunderstorms after 3pm, then showers and thunderstorms likely after 4pm, then showers after 5pm, then a chance of showers after 8pm." 

That's a lot to digest, but can someone tell me what is the difference between saying that there will be showers, and then showers are likely? Doesn't likely mean that essentially...there will be showers? To me, that's just too much information. We've already come to the conclusion that the majority of the public is lost when it comes to weather...a forecast like the one I just referenced doesn't help any, I think. 

Seems like a lot of automation fail.   The 3PM wording yesterday was doomed from the start IMO.