• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Spring 2023

I noticed that our local channel 6 weather team over in Philadelphia has been posting how since 1970 springs are getting warmer....as is always the case they only seem to look at since 1970. Why is that a problem? A quick look (see below) at the 3 major NWS COOP sites here in Chester County PA show that by starting the analysis in 1970 the data is clearly skewed because overall the 1960's was the decade with the coolest readings. The warmest springs here in Chester County averaged over the 3 long term sites actually occurred back in the 1940's. Only focusing on 50 years does not prove a trend.

image.thumb.png.3d69166dc1b7545c5e4e413ddd362b8c.png

21 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Bradford reached 85, tying the all-time record for the month of April, set previously on April 24, 2022, April 27, 1990, and April 28, 1990.

Bradford reached 86 degrees today, setting a new all-time April record high. There are many years where it doesn’t even reach 86 all summer long in Bradford. The airport is at 2106’, not far from the NY line. If we had mixed all the way to that layer, we would have been looking at widespread low to mid 90s today in the lowlands.

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

One sort of weather related thing here....Wasps/Yellow Jackets are much more prevalent this spring.  Have not had any attack me but a lot of them around. 

Yeah, awful around here too. Never seen this in April. Must be the mild winter. Kind of related, but I was reading  the Lakes & Midwest forum and someone from Minnesota was noting the start of tick season. I wish we had a no-tick season in this subtropical wasteland of a state. My dog was coming out of the woods just covered in those nasty things all winter long.

1 minute ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Yeah, awful around here too. Never seen this in April. Must be the mild winter. Kind of related, but I was reading  the Lakes & Midwest forum and someone from Minnesota was noting the start of tick season. I wish we had a no-tick season in this subtropical wasteland of a state. My dog was coming out of the woods just covered in those nasty things all winter long.

Tics have never been worse. They’re everywhere along the river. 

57 minutes ago, Coop_Mason said:

So what goes in the books ?

Good question. The Accu-rite and the Ambient 5000 are all within 5 ft of each other. The main sensor for the 5000 is about 9ft. above the ground in order to catch the wind better. The Accu-rite and the 2nd sensor for the 5000 are 6ft above the ground. So I'm thinking the ones 6 ft above the ground would tend to be more official. Also did I mention all are beside a mountain stream there's still water flowing but don't know how much longer, if it doesn't rain. Thoughs and criticism are welcome.

2 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

One sort of weather related thing here....Wasps/Yellow Jackets are much more prevalent this spring.  Have not had any attack me but a lot of them around. 

Funny you mention….our deck is overrun with wasps right now and my wife and I were commenting on how abundant they seem this year. We cant seem to get rid of them but they also havent been troublesome either. Seem content to keep to themselves. Trouble is we have two youngins that play in that area. 

7 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

I noticed that our local channel 6 weather team over in Philadelphia has been posting how since 1970 springs are getting warmer....as is always the case they only seem to look at since 1970. Why is that a problem? A quick look (see below) at the 3 major NWS COOP sites here in Chester County PA show that by starting the analysis in 1970 the data is clearly skewed because overall the 1960's was the decade with the coolest readings. The warmest springs here in Chester County averaged over the 3 long term sites actually occurred back in the 1940's. Only focusing on 50 years does not prove a trend.

image.thumb.png.3d69166dc1b7545c5e4e413ddd362b8c.png

Interesting. I wonder if they are using since 1970 because 50 years seems like enough or it is just convenient -- or because of climate change? I sure do not know but what do we make of weather history when we ourselves have apparently changed the weather overall but cannot point to individual events as definitely caused by climate change? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

8 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Funny you mention….our deck is overrun with wasps right now and my wife and I were commenting on how abundant they seem this year. We cant seem to get rid of them but they also havent been troublesome either. Seem content to keep to themselves. Trouble is we have two youngins that play in that area. 

10 hours ago, mahantango#1 said:

Yes there are lots of bees this year,and not the good kind either.

Actually, glad to hear you guys' report this...I was worried I had a massive underground nest ready to attack.  They have not bothered me but working their way into our screen deck (from the bottom) so have to remove some every day.   I get them in a galss and take them out.  Maybe it is the same ones that keep coming back in.  LOL

60 and a spattering of rain this AM. 

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Actually, glad to hear you guys' report this...I was worried I had a massive underground nest ready to attack.  They have not bothered me but working their way into our screen deck (from the bottom) so have to remove some every day.   I get them in a galss and take them out.  Maybe it is the same ones that keep coming back in.  LOL

60 and a spattering of rain this AM. 

It just seemed in a matter of a day or so there were bees everywhere. Hopefully we get some rain today.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, canderson said:

There are yellows radar returns overhead but zero rain is falling. This summer I assume we get severe water restrictions. Used to them in Texas, not here. 

I am hoping we do not have severe water resections.  Streams are not too bad right now just not good if summer is dry. Analogy...we are in the top the third and the Rays are already up 4-0.   On the plus side, if the GFS is close to right we might not even end up being a top 20 warm April.  Lots of highs in the uppers 40's through the mid 50's. 

• Like 1