• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Central PA Spring 2023

1 minute ago, sauss06 said:

so Saturdays chances arent that great either? I was thinking that 'could" have been our precip day

59 here

I saw the NWS AFD talking about it but the GFS and CMC showed little to nothing and the Euro was more concentrated in N PA with some cells (no widespread rain anywhere near us). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Sunny skies and 60 degrees at 12:15pm.

I was just coming to post about the GFS through the next 8-10 days as it pertains to precip.  Even next Monday is minimalized now.  Sort of like having your spouse offer to take you out for burgers and then pulling into Dairy Queen and trying to sell you on some Brazier BS.  A nothing burger.  

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I was just coming to post about the GFS through the next 8-10 days as it pertains to precip.  Even next Monday is minimalized now.  Sort of like having your spouse offer to take you out for burgers and then pulling into Dairy Queen and trying to sell you on some Brazier BS.  A nothing burger.  

Never had hot food at a DQ.

Not sure I've even been to a DQ that sells hot food! 

28 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Never had hot food at a DQ.

Not sure I've even been to a DQ that sells hot food! 

You have to look for the Brazier sign!  LOL.    Sometimes they have to turn away men who think Brassiere is spelled brazier.   The Wayne Heights DQ sells hot food.   Apparently these are phasing out the Brazier reference and you jsut have to check if your DQ has hot food or not. 

Dairy Queen / Brazier Foods signs - Altoona, PA | One of the… | Flickr

4 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Mow #1 is gonna be this week for me. 

I’m hoping my magnolia flower buds still bloom after two 28ºF nights over the weekend and 30ºF last night. 

We covered some plants the last two nights and will cover again tonight in case the RGEM keeps its hot streak going.  Frost Watch all the way down to SC and GA. 

40 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

You have to look for the Brazier sign!  LOL.    Sometimes they have to turn away men who think Brassiere is spelled brazier.   The Wayne Heights DQ sells hot food.   Apparently these are phasing out the Brazier reference and you jsut have to check if your DQ has hot food or not. 

Dairy Queen / Brazier Foods signs - Altoona, PA | One of the… | Flickr

I've seen them...

...and I keep on avoiding them! :)  

58 minutes ago, canderson said:

I remember going to a DQ here and ordering a steak finger basket. They looked at me like I was a martian. 

DQs are a staple in every small town in Texas. Good eats.  

The staples in every town here (and Florida) are Dollar Generals.  I think Dollar General has a whole team that looks for towns with no stop lights to put stores in. 

I replaced my tulips last fall. I ordered from a bulb co. in Michigan. Now that the tulips are up for a few weeks now, they aren't very tall and look stunted. I wonder if the cold weather has played havoc with them. They are smaller than usual and some have the flower not opened on them. To me they look ki da pathetic.

44 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

I replaced my tulips last fall. I ordered from a bulb co. in Michigan. Now that the tulips are up for a few weeks now, they aren't very tall and look stunted. I wonder if the cold weather has played havoc with them. They are smaller than usual and some have the flower not opened on them. To me they look ki da pathetic.

See how this weeks heat helps them but will have to water them daily I bet.  

Today begins a stretch of well above normal temps that will last into the start of the weekend. Looks like we cool down to normal to a little below again by the middle of next week. We should see 80's by Thursday and Friday...but we should stay well below the record highs for those dates. We could use some rain as we are now at only 71% of normal through today.
Records for today: High 84 (2017) / Low 23 (1909) / Precipitation 1.85" (1894) / Snow - today in 1894 marks the end of the greatest 2 day late season April snowstorms in the counties history. With today's 18.5" of snow along with the previous day's 9.7" we recorded a wet snow total of 28.2" in Western Chester County.
image.png.9a298fdcabfd763657661d3b3c762bf9.png

I hit 32 this morning on the car thermo while going through farmland.

Record highs for Thu/Fri at MDT are 85/89.  Probably a smidge out of reach but maybe not.  The best bet may be the max min record of 59 for Saturday.  We shall see.

Death Valley reclaims its throne with a national high temp of 101, which means summer must be on the way.  Low of 10 near Grand Mesa, CO.

Outside of the Pacific NW, pretty bone dry across the Lower 48 today.

fill_94qwbg.gif?1681219345836

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I hit 32 this morning on the car thermo while going through farmland.

Record highs for Thu/Fri at MDT are 85/89.  Probably a smidge out of reach but maybe not.  The best bet may be the max min record of 59 for Saturday.  We shall see.

Death Valley reclaims its throne with a national high temp of 101, which means summer must be on the way.  Low of 10 near Grand Mesa, CO.

Outside of the Pacific NW, pretty bone dry across the Lower 48 today.

fill_94qwbg.gif?1681219345836

Saw a mention that to date, the US is running ahead of the all-time tornado count for a year. The article continued that with a relatively calm week ahead across the country, we'll drop back below the record pace. 

• Like 1

This may be me having a memory based entirely on attending a school that was built in the 1950s without air conditioning, but I remember dying in class in April with open windows achieving nothing. I've always operated under the belief that until the last several years when winter has transitioned to March through May that we would usually get our first 90°F day in April.

I don't remember the last time I saw an 80°F day before mid-May. This feels like it's going to be a scorcher from the very go.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

This may be me having a memory based entirely on attending a school that was built in the 1950s without air conditioning, but I remember dying in class in April with open windows achieving nothing. I've always operated under the belief that until the last several years when winter has transitioned to March through May that we would usually get our first 90°F day in April.

I don't remember the last time I saw an 80°F day before mid-May. This feels like it's going to be a scorcher from the very go.

MDT has never hit 90 prior to April 17th. 

MDT has never hit 90 prior to April 17th. 
So that leaves 13 days in April where I may remember baking lol.

I should also clarify that during this time I lived in the ridge and valley Huntingdon so AOO was probably the local station of note, so I assume their first 90°F day took place a week or two later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Atomixwx said:

So that leaves 13 days in April where I may remember baking lol.

I should also clarify that during this time I lived in the ridge and valley Huntingdon so AOO was probably the local station of note, so I assume their first 90°F day took place a week or two later.

For the Altoona Blair County Airport site (POR 5/1/48 to present day), it appears the earliest they've hit 90 was May 3rd, which happened in 2018.