• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April Discobs 2023

George BM

Same here, looks dry all week.  Rather windy tomorrow  with low dew points meanwhile the Atlantic surf zone temps are rising fairly quickly with somespots already 56. 

Looked at the radar at 3 and 4 AM the activity was very spotty and missed most of us.  

37 minutes ago, Paleocene said:

Anyone want to recommend a decent weather station in the $100-$300 range?  Looking for rain gauge, wind, UV, the basics.

Got this. Love it: https://shop.weatherflow.com/products/tempest?utm_feeditemid=&utm_device=c&ad_id=&utm_term=&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PMax-B2C-SmartShopping-US/CAN&hsa_cam=17817653675&hsa_grp=&hsa_mt=&hsa_src=x&hsa_ad=&hsa_acc=8776118551&hsa_net=adwords&hsa_kw=&hsa_tgt=&hsa_ver=3&gclid=CjwKCAjw3POhBhBQEiwAqTCuBvWsUAkICdTgd7N1y-yKMx9FhBGnraZuEacamH_W4jdaFjcx8Q7Z2BoCFosQAvD_BwE

EDIT: I also got the battery back up. When I lose power, the data logger continues unabated and will upload the info once power/Internet is restored. It's great. https://shop.weatherflow.com/collections/accessories/products/tempest-hub-battery-backup

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Paleocene said:

Anyone want to recommend a decent weather station in the $100-$300 range?  Looking for rain gauge, wind, UV, the basics.

Ambient Weather WS-2000.

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-2000-Station-Monitoring/dp/B07GRBY9NP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2646YYTZTN6KA&keywords=ambient+weather+ws-2000&qid=1681749734&sprefix=ambient+wea%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3

I have both Tempest and WS-2000 stations (link in sig).

Biggest disappointment in Tempest is rainfall "accuracy".  The ultrasonic wind can also give false reports from honeybees and saturated surfaces from long periods of rain.  Cup/blade rotating anemometers don't have this problem.

The instrument is not really designed to be professionally mounted on a tower.  I've been through 4 of them (currently on number 5).  Good news is their support is first class.  (never paid a dime for shipping either way and the last replacement was outside of the full two year warranty and was replaced free of charge.)

Ambient Weather has a nice console that can be mounted on a wall.  It should be plugged into a UPS or its power supply cord modified to work with a 5V USB battery bank.  A power outage will clear reported max daily wind gust, for example.

Its accuracy including rain is excellent.  Also all parameters can be tuned via gain settings which may be useful.  Soil moisture, lightning, air quality sensors can be added too.  For non professional grade (PWS), it's quite decent.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

Ambient Weather WS-2000.

https://www.amazon.com/Ambient-Weather-WS-2000-Station-Monitoring/dp/B07GRBY9NP/ref=sr_1_5?crid=2646YYTZTN6KA&keywords=ambient+weather+ws-2000&qid=1681749734&sprefix=ambient+wea%2Caps%2C78&sr=8-5&ufe=app_do%3Aamzn1.fos.c3015c4a-46bb-44b9-81a4-dc28e6d374b3

I have both Tempest and WS-2000 stations (link in sig).

Biggest disappointment in Tempest is rainfall "accuracy".  The ultrasonic wind can also give false reports from honeybees and saturated surfaces from long periods of rain.  Cup/blade rotating anemometers don't have this problem.

The instrument is not really designed to be professionally mounted on a tower.  I've been through 4 of them (currently on number 5).  Good news is their support is first class.  (never paid a dime for shipping either way and the last replacement was outside of the full two year warranty and was replaced free of charge.)

Ambient Weather has a nice console that can be mounted on a wall.  It should be plugged into a UPS or its power supply cord modified to work with a 5V USB battery bank.  A power outage will clear reported max daily wind gust, for example.

Its accuracy including rain is excellent.  Also all parameters can be tuned via gain settings which may be useful.  Soil moisture, lightning, air quality sensors can be added too.  For non professional grade (PWS), it's quite decent.

I love Ambient Weather!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, MN Transplant said:

Yes, an overperformer.

Globals are liking Saturday evening for rain.  Deterministic solutions generally from 0.5” to 1.5” and ensembles over 0.75”.  That would be extremely welcome.

Hoping it holds off till 10 pm or so in Baltimore. Going to the Os game Saturday night

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic