Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Severe Weather 4-4-23 and 4-5-23

cheese007

10 minutes ago, Natester said:

If I remember correctly it has happened back in May 2003.  May 4, May 8 and May 10, 2003 all had high risks in the same latitude, albeit slightly south.

GFS trending in the direction to add to those

Had some more time to look at the models. The warm sector is enormous with favorable parameters throughout. If the nam has its way, the warm sector is going to be relatively free of contaminating crapvection. (GFS and euro agree with the minimal rainfall in the warm sector as well) Good forcing throughout the warm sector…it certainly seems this could be a very high end event over a widespread area. 

DD4A4BCD-6D14-429B-B8CB-D4BE49A8C6A0.jpeg

• Like 1

If this is the current EURO run that Trey posted (and I don't see why it wouldn't be, he seems to be trustworthy in that department), still looks like all systems go for Tuesday.

As @andyhb and @largetornado noted above, a carbon copy of yesterday could be the FLOOR with this one.

https://twitter.com/ConvChronicles/status/1642202540732305412

As an aside it's annoying that Twitter is still so heavily used among the met community, I've never liked the platform (had an account, deleted it when they eliminated the feature that I found most useful), times 1,000 now that it's Elon Musk's plaything.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, andyhb said:

That's at 03z and also I have strong doubt that it is going to be 66 degrees at that time given the magnitude of WAA with this trough. NAM tends to be cold biased.

Important to note that the NAM suite was horrible with yesterday's outbreak and was also horrible leading up to the Rolling Fork incident. NAM suite has been getting out-performed this year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stebo said:

RRFA model did very well with both events, it will be interesting to see how it performs as we get closer to Tuesday.

Yes it did, it was probably the most accurate in terms of how it depicted the warm sector and the airmass recovery between the waves of discrete. Also, while other models were trying to congeal the stuff quicker to the south like in Arkansas, the RRFA kept everything discrete or semi-discrete. The helicity swaths it outputted yesterday morning was almost a carbon copy of what was experienced. The HRRR has also done great with these last 2 outbreaks too.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, andyhb said:

One limiting factor with this may be mixing if we get near the progged high temperatures from some of the models. LCL heights would be an issue.

NAM suite is suggesting a strong cap in place in some areas that don't get breached until right before sunset. This would need to be monitored as it would suggest, if parameters hold, this would be a nocturnal event.

NAM sounding for near Cedar Rapids, still pops a PDS TOR despite being valid for 03Z and with the NAM's (a little more plausible in this case) cooler temperatures. Large 3CAPE again, like yesterday. My one caveat about yesterday was that the forecast hodographs in Iowa seemed to have a lot smaller curvature than I would have liked to see. Glad I didn't let that dissuade me from chasing!

That is NOT an issue Tuesday!

nam_2023040118_081_42.52--92.12.png

The 18Z NAM EHI map almost looks like I imagine it would have for Palm Sunday 1965...large values extending from eastern Iowa across northern Illinois/far southern Wisconsin to northern IN and southwestern Lower MI. They don't extend quite as far east as the major activity did that day, but the overall pattern seems quite similar.

Looking at the soundings, they are all high-end upper echelon type stuff. If you get past the small issues the NAM has been dealing with this year, those NAM soundings are still high end. As has already been discussed, the main issues here at this point remain: mixing, LCL's, early morning convection, capping inversion issues. Should those issues materialize, the floor would be yesterdays event. If we do not have any of those issues come Tuesday, this outbreak "COULD" rival the scope and magnitude of some of the bigger outbreaks we have seen. I know a lot of people on Twitter been throwing around 4/27 comparisons for size, and its very plausible the warm sector gets into southern Canada, its important to note for size/magnitude that can be debated. Everything else, no. Yesterdays event was close to some degree, a smaller "notch down" carbon copy of 4/3/74. Same areal coverage, same upper air support, but not quite on that level with violent tornadoes. I will say that I am more concerned for this upcoming outbreak than I was with yesterdays...and I still had concerns, not just as many as I have for this next one.

• cheese007 changed the title to Severe Weather 4-4-23 and 4-5-23