Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Severe Weather 4-4-23 and 4-5-23

cheese007

2 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

I'm all for severe weather out in open fields in Iowa, but I'll never understand why people want severe weather in their backyards and homes. As far as today goes, front sped up, less time for atmosphere to get juiced for metro detroit. It's always something on this side of the state for storms lol.

The weather is gonna happen regardless so I don’t have any qualms rooting for severe weather 

2 hours ago, Lightning said:

To be honest my excitement is low for this one.  Looks like some quick moving heavy rain with embedded thunder.  The very SE counties might do better.

Bingo ... Looks like some quick moving heavy rain with embedded thunder.

That is all we got.  Red on radar (heavy rain) yet only heard couple rumbles and the largest stick that fell from a tree was 10" long.  :lol:

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

I'm all for severe weather out in open fields in Iowa, but I'll never understand why people want severe weather in their backyards and homes. As far as today goes, front sped up, less time for atmosphere to get juiced for metro detroit. It's always something on this side of the state for storms lol.

Bingo. Wondered about this last night as storm motions in IA/IL reached 40-60mph compared to some of the CAM guidance.

Speaking of, after a relatively well forecasted 3/31 the models absolutely struggled with this. Different forcing mechanisms, speed uncertainty, and biases really seemed to wreck havoc with this.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

It's not about wanting your house destroyed as I am sure most don't mind missing damaging hail (golf ball +) and tornado's ITBY.   I think many love getting strong to even severe storms IMBY with vivid lightning, pea/marble sized hail, torrential rains and some 45-50 MPH gusts.  I say bring it.

With this line of storms I didn't even see a flash of lightning (just heard some rumbles), heavy rain and maybe a 35 MPH gust.  Sorry but it was just lame!!  I know other may have had more but I can only comment on what I got.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Lightning said:

It's not about wanting your house destroyed as I am sure most don't mind missing damaging hail (golf ball +) and tornado's ITBY.   I think many love getting strong to even severe storms IMBY with vivid lightning, pea/marble sized hail, torrential rains and some 45-50 MPH gusts.  I say bring it.

With this line of storms I didn't even see a flash of lightning (just heard some rumbles), heavy rain and maybe a 35 MPH gust.  Sorry but it was just lame!!  I know other may have had more but I can only comment on what I got.

Disappointing here too.  I did get a couple very loud bursts of CGs, around 5:00 am and then again around 7:30 am. Terrible timing though, I was in and out of sleep.  The severe warned line later on was just heavy rain and occasional soft rumbles.  I did get a flash flood IMBY.  Backyard is literally a giant puddle.

1 minute ago, frostfern said:

Disappointing here too.  I did get a couple very loud bursts of CGs, around 5:00 am and then again around 7:30 am. Terrible timing though, I was in and out of sleep.  The severe warned line later on was just heavy rain and occasional soft rumbles.  I did get a flash flood IMBY.  Backyard is literally a giant puddle.

At least you did better then me overall (just disappointing).  Once I knew the lightning was out I would have just taken the heavy rain you all got and called it a day.  It rather stalled for a bit in your area to Lansing but then just cruised on through around here (which of course is nothing new <_<). 

5 minutes ago, Lightning said:

At least you did better then me overall (just disappointing).  Once I knew the lightning was out I would have just taken the heavy rain you all got and called it a day.  It rather stalled for a bit in your area to Lansing but then just cruised on through around here (which of course is nothing new <_<). 

I don’t always understand lightning.  I didn’t see any with the hailer I chased, though I’m sure there was IC up in it that I couldn’t hear or see.  The stuff that produced the loud cracks early this morning looked like garbage on radar when I looked.  It was just a bunch of congealed micro-cells.

2 minutes ago, frostfern said:

I don’t always understand lightning.  I didn’t see any with the hailer I chased, though I’m sure there was IC up in it that I couldn’t hear or see.  The stuff that produced the loud cracks early this morning looked like garbage on radar when I looked.  It was just a bunch of congealed micro-cells.

I know lightning doesn't always do what you think it will.  I have chased many storms.  Sometimes there are great lightning filled storms but you never see a single CG. Other storms which have occasional lightning with everyone being an awesome CG.   :lightning:

• Like 1

Here are two videos from yesterday. First one is of the supercell itself and the second is from inside the tornado. I'd like to apologize in advance for not only using phones, but also recording in vertical format. Didn't have time to pull the DSLR out unfortunately for good shots of the storm, and obviously I'm just happy to have any footage from inside the tornado at all. 

Oh yeah, and please excuse my language in the second video. Hard to stay PG when you think you're about to get maimed. Looking back I didn't even duck down, idk what I was thinking.

https://youtube.com/shorts/d5M407cuge4?

feature=sharehttps://youtube.com/shorts/fRWcBVP-nUA?feature=share

Again, apologies for the excessively amateur impression I'm making here. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Stevo6899 said:

I'm all for severe weather out in open fields in Iowa, but I'll never understand why people want severe weather in their backyards and homes.

Anyone who "wants" severe weather makes no sense, but I can respect those who want it in their own backyards as opposed to somewhere else.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Lightning said:

I know lightning doesn't always do what you think it will.  I have chased many storms.  Sometimes there are great lightning filled storms but you never see a single CG. Other storms which have occasional lightning with everyone being an awesome CG.   :lightning:

Same.  The best storms that produce both a high flash rate and frequent CGs seem to happen with dewpoints in the 70s.  You need a lot of CAPE and good forcing to get it going though.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wegoweather said:

Anyone who "wants" severe weather makes no sense, but I can respect those who want it in their own backyards as opposed to somewhere else.

A lot of people like the chance of very frequent CTG lightning strikes including myself. Definitely don’t want bad damage or have lives lost.

• Like 1

On 4/5/2023 at 2:41 PM, Malacka11 said:

Here are two videos from yesterday. First one is of the supercell itself and the second is from inside the tornado. I'd like to apologize in advance for not only using phones, but also recording in vertical format. Didn't have time to pull the DSLR out unfortunately for good shots of the storm, and obviously I'm just happy to have any footage from inside the tornado at all. 

Oh yeah, and please excuse my language in the second video. Hard to stay PG when you think you're about to get maimed. Looking back I didn't even duck down, idk what I was thinking.

I was the passenger recording. i also apologize for the uneven footage due to my nervousness and me raising my knee to block a potential blown window. Once I realized that we were in the tornado, my priority went from recording to making sure I wouldn’t get injured.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Malacka11 said:

Bruh that was way too close.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Bruh that was way too close.

You saw the other video right? The other chaser's POV? The headlights in the distance was us.

We just got screwed because we thought the tornado was far wider than it was and let ourselves get forced into a town.

Thought we were running from a wall and then ended up getting directly hit by a skinny drill bit.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Jesus man, I am glad you are fine, I would definitely be more careful next time though.

Trust me homie I can't stop thinking about how badly we fucked up. The message was especially driven home by the smashed houses we drove past afterwards. I dont know when I'm gonna chase again but I will seriously reevaluate my approach when I do. We really weren't trying to get close, it's just that as the cell became tornadic it seemed as if the mesocyclone veered straight west towards us. 

We got to the storm just as it was entering the "capable of producing a tornado" verbiage phase of its warning.  After about two minutes of standing and watching the beautiful supercell structure, we realized that the base of the storm was starting to race towards us and a second later we noticed that every single pro chaser was barreling down the road towards us straight away from the storm (talking trucks with sensors and warning lights). Of course we jumped in and started tailing then but it turns out they had no idea what they were doing either. At some point they made a left and then we all ended up doing a three point turn on this tiny ass farm road to double back. Only at the very last second did they save themselves by turning left where we turned right in the town. We realized our error and made a u-turn and that's when we got hit. 

• Like 2