Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

With overnight temps in the 40s it's kind of necessary, even 50s makes this fat old old body achy. 

Good morning gravity. If you can still feel the aches and tell the tale, you’re doing fine. Stay well, as always …..

• Haha 1

Yesterday, May 13, was NJ's World Series of Birding, held annually on the second Saturday in May (and now part of a larger "Big Day" of birding observed globally.  It was the 40th anniversary of the event, which was begun around the peak of spring bird migration and involves counting every species seen.  The total in NJ routinely goes over 200 species.

As you can imagine, the event is HEAVILY influenced by weather, and yesterday saw the first good weather system in five years.  (2020 saw snow in some areas!)  Ideal is overnight southwesterly winds, since most songbirds migrate at night, with a light rain shower right at dawn to bring them down.  Warm fronts from the southwest in spring have been very scarce these last years, but this stretch around May 5 has produced in northern Jersey!  And more migration weather to come this week!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Will - Rutgers said:

no idea how we evolved to have allergies i am ready to kill myself and end the bloodline

Don’t do it Will. It will only leave the rest of us sneezing and snorting in memoriam. Stay well and hopefully/eventually sinus dry. As always ….

14 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

no idea how we evolved to have allergies i am ready to kill myself and end the bloodline

No need.

Just wear a P100 mask, you'll at least breather easier. In these post Covid days, you'll simply appear prudent.

No claims though that your eyes will be any less irritated.

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I was sittin' on the pot when it happened and I didn't feel anything :shrug: :)

TMI? Too bad. 

Good evening gravity. A man’s home is his castle. It’s good to hear that your throne is stable. As always….

• Like 1

Saw this on Upton's page:

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on how we can improve our messaging! The National Weather Service (NWS) currently uses “Watch”, “Warning”, and “Advisory” headlines to alert the public of weather and water hazards. 

The NWS Hazard Simplification (Haz Simp) project has conducted extensive research on how we might improve our alerting system. In 2021, based on this research and feedback from our partners and public, the NWS decided to replace the “Advisory” headline in favor of plain language headlines. An example is shown below. NOTE: This change will not be made before 2025. 

Current Winter Weather Advisory headline: ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM TO 8 PM EST...

Future plain language headline: ...SNOW: Hazardous travel in snow and blowing snow from 9 AM to 8 PM EST...

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Saw this on Upton's page:

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback on how we can improve our messaging! The National Weather Service (NWS) currently uses “Watch”, “Warning”, and “Advisory” headlines to alert the public of weather and water hazards. 

The NWS Hazard Simplification (Haz Simp) project has conducted extensive research on how we might improve our alerting system. In 2021, based on this research and feedback from our partners and public, the NWS decided to replace the “Advisory” headline in favor of plain language headlines. An example is shown below. NOTE: This change will not be made before 2025. 

Current Winter Weather Advisory headline: ...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 9 AM TO 8 PM EST...

Future plain language headline: ...SNOW: Hazardous travel in snow and blowing snow from 9 AM to 8 PM EST...

I look forward to future simplification of headlines. HURRICANE GO WOOSH

• Like 2

I expect another above average summer. It's almost impossible to have a below average one nowadays. 2014 was "cool" but really lacked any significant heat. 2009 was the last real cool summer around here. Every year since then has been near average to above average. When in doubt, you could always go above average and you'll be right more often than wrong. FWIW, Euro seasonal and weeklies have a ridge building over the central US come July with cooler than normal temps to our NE. Interested to see if this verifies, or just model noise.

ecmwf-weeklies-avg-namer-t850_anom-8774400.thumb.png.eef34f8a54178823f47abed50bcababd.png

• BxEngine changed the title to Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23