Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2023 General Discussion

rainsucks

Just now, madwx said:

Last night was wild.  Had a substorm come directly overhead at 1115 or so.  Saw rapid pulsing of the lights throughout the entire sky 

IMG_4807.jpg

IMG_4800.jpg

IMG_4813.jpg

That's just awesome stuff. Glad you got to see it. I saw the lights in 2004 here in Ohio. That was a very pale green. It's something where seeing it with your own eyes is different than seeing the picture. Every once in a while I tried to look for the lights when I was in Colorado, but it was really tough. I mean I drove to the top of a small mountain next to the city to get away from the city lights, but it didn't work.  It's a long way out from the auroras which might get down to Montana on a few occasions.

Light pollution typically sucks too much for me to even see much, but the clouds did not clear before I called it a night last night. 

I waited for the clouds to clear last night, for a reasonable trip west. Ended up leaving just after midnight, and made it to just northwest of Rochelle by 1AM.

Unfortunately, by that time things were quickly fading, so I barely ended up with just a bit of green/purple on the horizon in a few pictures.

On 4/23/2023 at 5:08 PM, Chinook said:

Got a bit more graupel/rain. low-altitude CAPE exists. In a recent video by Convective Chronicles (youtube) low-altitude CAPE analysis or short-term forecast is quite effective at identifying areas of tornadoes. And of course, the same exact thing low-altitude CAPE is the reason lake effect snow gets going, that is, adequate updrafts in the winter. (pretty much like today)

Yea.  Pretty much the same type of pattern that causes waterspouts causes lake-effect graupel showers here.  The spring variety corn-snow seems to happen at colder temperatures and is a bit smaller in size from what I've noticed in this area.  Strong afternoon sun turns a wet snow squall into a graupel shower.  There's also a phenomenon called the Puget Sound Convergence Zone that sometimes causes graupel with thunder and lightning in the Seattle area.  Landspout type tornadoes happen on rare occasions too.  I think copious graupel is the most common with high elevation summer thunderstorms.  I've been camping out west before where several inches of graupel accumulated during a thunderstorm.  

• Like 1

On 4/23/2023 at 10:39 AM, weatherbo said:

Looks like snow will be gone a tad sooner this year (maybe another week) thanks to the crazy week of warmth, I can't imagine how long it'd have hung around if this had been a typical April.

Cool one today with a high of 34 forecast but at least the uprising and violence in the coop is under control now that the ladies are able to roam, scratch around, eat worms.  Thankfully they'll shit more outside too.  winter coop duty- not fun.

remaining snowpack 

1158577246_thumbnail(2).thumb.jpg.0d35f5b7d411a1bf157f3dff0cc43ca2.jpg

1422867365_thumbnail(4).thumb.jpg.7c24d55662cb02199fa6c94c0df96912.jpg

1910633042_thumbnail(5).thumb.jpg.e858c1153efc53a1513d7ef9fb4ca009.jpg

Is that normally a stream or just melt off aided?

4 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Measured 3” on the grill and still coming down. Should reach 50 today and melt, however, heavier snow possible this weekend.  

Bo, turn the snow machine off up there or at least keep it in the UP, as it's only a couple of weeks before it's time to head up to the Upper Lower for some shrooms.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, IWXwx said:

Bo, turn the snow machine off up there or at least keep it in the UP, as it's only a couple of weeks before it's time to head up to the Upper Lower for some shrooms.

Trust me.  This is not what I wanted to wake up to. :lol:

Last year in late May, did some excellent morel hunting in the far southern part of the UP just north of Menominee... driving down back roads you could see their golden heads in the sun, poking up through the grass in ditches. Easiest pickins ever.  Not to mention the wild Asparagus.

• Like 2