• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
April 2023 General Discussion

rainsucks

Some interesting fun a couple of hours ago here.

Crews and services investigate loud boom near Hamilton County | wthr.com

I had just walked back from dinner downtown and was walking to the car to put it in the garage. I heard the rolling boom and thought thunder or there as a big train wreck. It was 100% overcast here so I did not see any flash. Came in the house and turned on the puter and when the radar came up I saw nothing even close to me that could have made any thunder. A real head-scratcher. Turned on the radio scanner and here the town east of here inspecting a large natural gas line in the country but not finding anything. Just before I hit the shower I heard the dispatcher mention either the NWS or EMS thought it might have been a meteor. Too bad it was overcast and I as not out taking sunset pics. Might not have got it even if I could see it. Post sunset I am usually focused to the west and if it was east of me I probably would not have been able to get swung around in time.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, bowtie` said:

Some interesting fun a couple of hours ago here.

Crews and services investigate loud boom near Hamilton County | wthr.com

I had just walked back from dinner downtown and was walking to the car to put it in the garage. I heard the rolling boom and thought thunder or there as a big train wreck. It was 100% overcast here so I did not see any flash. Came in the house and turned on the puter and when the radar came up I saw nothing even close to me that could have made any thunder. A real head-scratcher. Turned on the radio scanner and here the town east of here inspecting a large natural gas line in the country but not finding anything. Just before I hit the shower I heard the dispatcher mention either the NWS or EMS thought it might have been a meteor. Too bad it was overcast and I as not out taking sunset pics. Might not have got it even if I could see it. Post sunset I am usually focused to the west and if it was east of me I probably would not have been able to get swung around in time.

I didn't see or hear anything, but there were hundreds of reports all across Indiana. The link you posted has been updated (at the end) to include a security video of a meteor. I'd say mystery solved.

• Thanks 1

In addition to setting a new seasonal snowfall record, Duluth finished in 2nd place for 1"+ snow cover days.  Unless there's an unusual snow event over the next couple of weeks, this season will end with 157 days.  The record is 167 days in 1995-96.

And, Duluth finished with 151 consecutive days of 1"+ snow cover (Nov 15th through April 14th).  As impressive as this is, it falls quite a bit short of the record 164 days in 1995-96 (Nov 10th through April 21st). 

Both of those 1995-96 records will be very difficult to break. :snowing:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, hardypalmguy said:

Suicide weather.

Looks like snow will be gone a tad sooner this year (maybe another week) thanks to the crazy week of warmth, I can't imagine how long it'd have hung around if this had been a typical April.

Cool one today with a high of 34 forecast but at least the uprising and violence in the coop is under control now that the ladies are able to roam, scratch around, eat worms.  Thankfully they'll shit more outside too.  winter coop duty- not fun.

remaining snowpack 

1158577246_thumbnail(2).thumb.jpg.0d35f5b7d411a1bf157f3dff0cc43ca2.jpg

1422867365_thumbnail(4).thumb.jpg.7c24d55662cb02199fa6c94c0df96912.jpg

1910633042_thumbnail(5).thumb.jpg.e858c1153efc53a1513d7ef9fb4ca009.jpg

• Like 5

19 hours ago, beavis1729 said:

In addition to setting a new seasonal snowfall record, Duluth finished in 2nd place for 1"+ snow cover days.  Unless there's an unusual snow event over the next couple of weeks, this season will end with 157 days.  The record is 167 days in 1995-96.

And, Duluth finished with 151 consecutive days of 1"+ snow cover (Nov 15th through April 14th).  As impressive as this is, it falls quite a bit short of the record 164 days in 1995-96 (Nov 10th through April 21st). 

Both of those 1995-96 records will be very difficult to break. :snowing:

I lived in the Northland then. Was the longest winter ever for me personally and greatest holiday snow depth (40") imby ever. With family up riding sleds at Christmas it was truly the stuff of white dreams. Now, without any of that in play, it would be an absolute nightmare, lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogueWaves said:

I lived in the Northland then. Was the longest winter ever for me personally and greatest holiday snow depth (40") imby ever. With family up riding sleds at Christmas it was truly the stuff of white dreams. Now, without any of that in play, it would be an absolute nightmare, lol. 

95-96 was probably the worst screwzone winter ever for Detroit to Chicago corridor. Cold and dry.

Detroits record for snowcover and deep snow depth was, you guessed it, 2013-14.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Powerball said:

All I see are articles discussing the possibility of an eruption at Yellowstone in the future.

I thought there was one that had actually occurred.

There was something in Kamchatka.  Destructive ash fall, but it's a minor event climatologically.  Mt. St. Helens had a very very small effect and this was quite a lot smaller than that.  People don't realize the magnitude you need to have an actual impact.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, frostfern said:

There was something in Kamchatka.  Destructive ash fall, but it's a minor event climatologically.  Mt. St. Helens had a very very small effect and this was quite a lot smaller than that.  People don't realize the magnitude you need to have an actual impact.

In addition, the atmospheric effects from Mount Pinatubo's eruption in June 1991 was delayed until the following Summer (1992)