Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2023 General Discussion

rainsucks

29 minutes ago, frostfern said:

That must be incredibly heavy.  It's like summer mountain snow at this point.  What like 150" of powder all compressed down to 30"?

Yes, It's very dense and will be around a while.

Received somewhere between 250-270" here this year.  There were a few thaws but nothing substantial.

14 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

That sounds awful.  No break from winter to black fly season.  My wife got bit on the eyelid a few years ago and her whole eye swelled shut the following day for about 8-12 hours.

They're not biting right now so all's good.

The noseeum's are the worst for me and last for a few weeks at peak but linger late into Summer.

23 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

They're not biting right now so all's good.

The noseeum's are the worst for me and last for a few weeks at peak but linger late into Summer.

It seems like black flies don't really take notice until you start to sweat.  Like if you try to do landscaping or anything that requires hard sweaty work in the dirt they absolutely maul your head, like behind the ears, around the eyes, etc...  Fleas and gnats are most annoying at night IMO.  In places with no screens you try to read or use your laptop at night they see the light then come in and bite.  They don't always bite, but sometimes just seeing them makes me start itching.

• Like 1

Hitting mid 80s here in southern Wisconsin. This pattern isn’t actually that far off from what we had in March “Morch” 2012. This is not a one day warm up then back down — we have sustaining.

I saw the signs of a week of this back when I said we would have a Morch.

Delayed but not denied.

• Haha 4
  • Weenie 3

19 minutes ago, hardypalmguy said:

Hitting mid 80s here in southern Wisconsin. This pattern isn’t actually that far off from what we had in March “Morch” 2012. This is not a one day warm up then back down — we have sustaining.

I saw the signs of a week of this back when I said we would have a Morch.

Delayed but not denied.

That's crazy.  Funny what can happen when the west wind is strong enough to shunt the marine layer offshore.  There's quite a w-e gradient here.  I'd actually be very happy with upper 50s and low 60s this time of year as that's what makes for a good flower season.  Can't really complain, but prolonged summer-like temps always seems to screws things up here if it happens before early May.  There's always that late freeze.

• Like 1

It's not often that you see a full week with temps in the 70's and 80's in mid-April, without any sort of lake breeze...Whether it be in April, May or June.

Managed to do it earlier this week with light winds, but good gradient alignment. Now as we have transitioned into mid week, and continuing into late week, stronger winds are preventing development.

• Like 1

The models are trending slower and stronger with the weekend system.  That's good, because it means a much better soaking rain event across my area.  I've only received 1.77" of precip since March 1st.  It's getting a bit dry, especially following this week's dry warmth.

As the system strengthens and wraps up, we could get a bit of snow as well.

image.thumb.png.0090916e57a5bbee9c0e9d88de34c77a.png

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

77 already where I’m working. Calling for 80 but I believe it will overachieve like yesterday. Less wind this time and it’s a little warm without AC in my work truck lol. Probably will be tempted to jump into the Huron river by 3pm. Definitely my northern blood being thick and just coming off of winter has something to do with it 

These are above the July average temps for some or all of the northern Michigan region.

april record temps.jpg

Alpena was 35 deg F above average yesterday, for the high of the day. The 850mb temperature was up to 15 deg C, and as you can see, the surface temperature was an even 30 deg C, I guess that's perfect mixing, if you assume 10 deg C/km and give 1500 meters from the 850mb level to the ground, both of which are not exact.

alpena.jpg

• Like 1