Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2023 General Discussion

rainsucks

26 minutes ago, Harry said:

Rivers around here starting to go over thier banks and more rain on the way? :yikes:

Drove across the state this weekend in southern Michigan.  West of 131 was the worst but everywhere the rivers are bank full/ must over bank full.  Water everywhere that is for sure.  My lake finally is flowing over the dam (like it is supposed to) for the first time since last May.  

11 minutes ago, Lightning said:

Drove across the state this weekend in southern Michigan.  West of 131 was the worst but everywhere the rivers are bank full/ must over bank full.  Water everywhere that is for sure.  My lake finally is flowing over the dam (like it is supposed to) for the first time since last May.  

The Battle Creek river is at its second highest level I have seen since moving here. The power company has power lines along parts of it they have been replacing and have a ton of these wood platforms that the river has reached and I suspect only a matter of time before they start getting carried down the river if it keeps rising which I suspect it will this week. That may cause other issues if they start blocking the flow around bridges etc.. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

The Battle Creek river is at its second highest level I have seen since moving here. The power company has power lines along parts of it they have been replacing and have a ton of these wood platforms that the river has reached and I suspect only a matter of time before they start getting carried down the river if it keeps rising which I suspect it will this week. That may cause other issues if they start blocking the flow around bridges etc.. 

Yeah that would not be good :yikes:

My Weds still shows rain and 17C, considering I'm in the SPC contor for severe I'm waiting on that to change to chance of t-storms, then something more. Getting even a regular t-storm during the first 10 days of April here is lore, I can't recall any dates but the last storm during this month was 2021 I think but the last decent one was mid month 2009.

2 hours ago, Chinook said:

Does this qualify as a derecho?

yesterday.gif

2 hours ago, WxSynopsisDavid said:

Factor in the stuff from 3/31 and yes. But concerning 4/1, there's a gap in central PA where there were no wind reports.

230331_rpts.gif

3/31 and 4/1 were two separate events, and wouldn't really consider either day to have had a derecho.

3/31 featured mixed mode, which produced corridors of damaging winds. 4/1 had two separate complexes, neither of which had the distance/longevity.

• Like 2

Staring tomorrow, looks like I'll be dealing with high winds off the lake, snow, frz rn. What a mess! Looks like 3-6" plus 0.25" of ice with it. Possible thunder in the mix, too. AARGH. Western areas of the state into the Dakotas going to get hammered with 1-2' of snow and high winds. My granddaughter lives an hour south of Fargo, so she's in the bullseye for serious blizzard conditions.

3 hours ago, Brian D said:

Staring tomorrow, looks like I'll be dealing with high winds off the lake, snow, frz rn. What a mess! Looks like 3-6" plus 0.25" of ice with it. Possible thunder in the mix, too. AARGH. Western areas of the state into the Dakotas going to get hammered with 1-2' of snow and high winds. My granddaughter lives an hour south of Fargo, so she's in the bullseye for serious blizzard conditions.

Ice on top of what you have is definitely going to be a nuisance. Hopefully the power lines up there are not too far from the roads so crews can restore power if needed

23 hours ago, Lightning said:

And as recently as late Fall people were freaking out about drought lol. We had one dry year after many wet ones. Stuff like that happens. But overall our climate has definitely trended wetter (and snowier) than last century. 

15 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

And as recently as late Fall people were freaking out about drought lol. We had one dry year after many wet ones. Stuff like that happens. But overall our climate has definitely trended wetter (and snowier) than last century. 

I was mostly annoyed by the drought that was centered in my area and lasted about 15 months IMBY (I had 15 months of below to very much below precip IMBY).   Good part was I only had to cut the lawn a total of 6 times all last summer (most of the time it was to take down the weeds).  Bad part was I lost a lot of my good lawn (I don't water since I have well water and lots of land ... not gonna happen).    It is nice to finally be above normal again :thumbsup:

• Like 3

On 4/3/2023 at 11:09 AM, Brian D said:

Forecast hasn't changed. N WI is under ice storm warning, so it could get pretty ugly for them. I-Falls under blizzard warning. Rare for them. I'm curious to see how the forecast for the shore actually turns out.

Heavy snow band moved in with winds 40+. Vis down to 1 block. Very cool! :) 

1/2 block now with very heavy snow :) :) 

Vis dropped to 100" or so at one point. That was a very cool snow band with the wind. Hope to see a little more of that today before things get too warm later tonight.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

High of 28 here with a quick 2 inches of heavy snow this afternoon.  Freezing rain and sleet could become a real issue here later tonight before it goes above freezing in the morning. 

Point has a high of 49 tomorrow.  If I break 50, it will be the first time since Autumn.

Meanwhile, way down south here it was at least 81. Just waiting on a six-hour update to see just how high.

In S. Haven Sunday pm and noticed an entire front of a home had daffodils in full bloom. Was quite the sight. Meanwhile, not too far north:

1243942271_23-04-03APXsnowstick.thumb.jpg.812aa33d1d400d516bb62ee7c3eb52f3.jpg

And the Yoop keeps getting deeper and deeper. There's always a gradient ofc this time of year, but seems exaggerated this year. Thinking severe season gonna be legit for a change.