Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2023 Lawn, Garden, Landscape Party Discussion

Damage In Tolland

1 hour ago, moneypitmike said:

I used some Scott 3-in-1 seed/fertilizer/soil improver a month ago (did it adt year too).  I’m pleased with the result.  How long should one wait before using a weed/feed?  Would you recommend anything other than a weed/feed?

IMG_0855.jpeg

IMG_0854.jpeg

Looks nice Mike

• Like 1

13 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

I used some Scott 3-in-1 seed/fertilizer/soil improver a month ago (did it adt year too).  I’m pleased with the result.  How long should one wait before using a weed/feed?  Would you recommend anything other than a weed/feed?

IMG_0855.jpeg

IMG_0854.jpeg

We need a before picture before we congratulate you on your lawn growing skills. Looks really good now though.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Somehow Japanese knotweed has shown up in force along my fence line. 

Ugh.   I spent a couple of years walking pulling those shoots up--finally managed to eradicate it.  I read somewhere that it can grow up to 5" in a day.   I think that's accurate based on what I was able to eyeball.  Just horrible stuff.

On 5/24/2023 at 10:45 AM, dryslot said:

And the planting has begun, Hopefully no more frost.

IMG_2560.jpg

The 25° low last Thursday spared the apple blossoms but partially scorched the leaves on the 2" diam. oak outside the back window.  No sign of damage to adjacent white ash, which is usually more frost-sensitive than oak.

Saw some light (so far) defoliation on tops of oaks along I-78 in NNJ and I-84 in CT.  Also lots of dead ash trees, though some in NJ appear to be hanging on.  No idea whether they're tolerant or on the way out, though they're in the midst of many dead neighbors, so I'm a bit hopeful.  I've read that some white ash tolerates the beetle; green ash/brown ash, no such hope.

14 hours ago, tamarack said:

The 25° low last Thursday spared the apple blossoms but partially scorched the leaves on the 2" diam. oak outside the back window.  No sign of damage to adjacent white ash, which is usually more frost-sensitive than oak.

Saw some light (so far) defoliation on tops of oaks along I-78 in NNJ and I-84 in CT.  Also lots of dead ash trees, though some in NJ appear to be hanging on.  No idea whether they're tolerant or on the way out, though they're in the midst of many dead neighbors, so I'm a bit hopeful.  I've read that some white ash tolerates the beetle; green ash/brown ash, no such hope.

I had 30F that morning and a couple hanging begonia took a hit, Looks like another frost this morning here and I did not cover anything last night as I was planting a blueberry bush and wasn’t aware once again that we were going to get in the low 30”s again for Christ sakes.

IMG_2574.jpeg

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

I had 30F that morning and a couple hanging begonia took a hit, Looks like another frost this morning here and I did not cover anything last night as I was planting a blueberry bush and wasn’t aware once again that we were going to get in the low 30”s again for Christ sakes.

IMG_2574.jpeg

32 this morning with frozen dew on car tops.  That won't damage anything, as I've not even tilled the garden yet.  (Today?) 
I think I know why the oak leaves were scorched and ash were not.  Probably it was because the oak leaves were 1/3 full size while the ash leaves were just coming out of buds.

Edit:  IZG 32, BML 30, HIE 27

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

IMG_2574.jpeg

blueberries taking hit after hit this  spring - wild, cultivated, backyard - sucks.

On 5/23/2023 at 10:48 PM, WxWatcher007 said:

Somehow Japanese knotweed has shown up in force along my fence line. 

Whatever you do don't mow it.  The rhizomes will just get dispersed and it'll make it worse.

IMO the best thing to do is just pull it out of the ground every time it comes up.  Be careful how you dispose of it.  The energy it uses to grow is not recovered and over the course of 5-10 years it looks worse and worse til it eventually gives up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, radarman said:

Whatever you do don't mow it.  The rhizomes will just get dispersed and it'll make it worse.

IMO the best thing to do is just pull it out of the ground every time it comes up.  Be careful how you dispose of it.  The energy it uses to grow is not recovered and over the course of 5-10 years it looks worse and worse til it eventually gives up. 

Thanks.

Unfortunately, my neighbor could have used this advice. :axe: 

• Sad 1

On 5/29/2023 at 9:27 AM, dryslot said:

The birds love them, I netted mine last year and will be working on that today.

Went on youtube and combined a couple ideas to come up with my own version to cage the blueberries from the birds getting after them, Don't have to worry about bears where i'm at.

IMG_2587.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Went on youtube and combined a couple ideas to come up with my own version to cage the blueberries from the birds getting after them, Don't have to worry about bears where i'm at.

IMG_2587.jpg

That would work well with my honeyberries.

• Like 1