Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2023 Lawn, Garden, Landscape Party Discussion

Damage In Tolland

16 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’d lose your entire nice grass to an invasive ugly weed with hideous white flowers. 

in a few weeks my "lawn" will be a multi-color canvas of green, yellow (dandelion), purple (creeping charlie), and white (clover & violet flowers).  It's beautiful.  Gotta have variety, chief.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, tunafish said:

I'll never understand why dandelions are so despised.   They bloom for a week then they're gone.

25 minutes ago, tunafish said:

Manually yank them out?  About the only non-chemical approach that's at least somewhat effective.

They are hard to yank out, got a pretty long tap root and if you don't get it all, it will come back. I always seem to just break the tap root root.

But yea, are far as lawn "weeds" go, they come and go pretty quick. They do self seed like crazy though, so if they do bother you and don't do anything, they will only increase every year.  

Obviously we have a large dichotomy toward lawns care on here of full on natural approach like you, and other end of spectrum of full chemical.  I dont think either side will ever turn the other...lol.

I try hard as possible for a hybrid approach doing as much organic as I can, but still some spot treatment when needed and some fert.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

They are hard to yank out, got a pretty long tap root and if you don't get it all, it will come back. I always seem to just break the tap root root.

But yea, are far as lawn "weeds" go, they come and go pretty quick. They do self seed like crazy though, so if they do bother you and don't do anything, they will only increase every year.  

Obviously we have a large dichotomy toward lawns care on here of full on natural approach like you, and other end of spectrum of full chemical.  I dont think either side will ever turn the other...lol.

I try hard as possible for a hybrid approach doing as much organic as I can, but still some spot treatment when needed and some fert.

I bought a weed puller at HD, works well for getting the whole root out, I yanked out about 100 of them in my lawn. I think I paid #30 for the tool. I just go around with my wheelbarrow, yank them out throw them in the wheelbarrow and dump the load in the woods.

WaLensee 39 in. Weed Puller, 3 Claws Manual Stand Up Weeder Remover, Root and Dandelion Weed Removal Garden Weeding Tool WT-001G - The Home Depot

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I bought a weed puller at HD, works well for getting the whole root out, I yanked out about 100 of them in my lawn. I think I paid #30 for the tool. I just go around with my wheelbarrow, yank them out throw them in the wheelbarrow and dump the load in the woods.

WaLensee 39 in. Weed Puller, 3 Claws Manual Stand Up Weeder Remover, Root and Dandelion Weed Removal Garden Weeding Tool WT-001G - The Home Depot

Nice. I knew there were some tools for it. My yard is too big and I have got lazy dealing with them and have gave up hand pulling, its impossible. Will try that.

4 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Nice. I knew there were some tools for it. My yard is too big and I have got lazy dealing with them and have gave up hand pulling, its impossible. Will try that.

The nice thing about that tool is you don't have to bend over and you can pull the weed and toss it into your wheelbarrow all in one motion. First year I got it I yanked about 200 dandelions out and it never bothered my back.

11 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Lawn looks pretty good. Suddenly have a dandelion problem, though. What can I do?

Last year I switched to a product called Tenacity to spot treat, ordered from Amazon. It is a bit expensive, but a little goes a long way and it works great. Will take dandelions out and is considered non-toxic for kids and pets once it dries.  First year it is a bit of work spot treating, but you will get weeds under control and won't need the chemicals from the box stores.   Last year I switched strategy to this and Milirganite for a fertilizer on its highest setting; it worked well, even with the drought and not watering.  This is a good tutorial for tenacity, and follow the mixing directions if you use.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

If it was only a couple, I think I would get that, but I’m talking thousands lol.

I ended up buying Scott’s dandelion and feed that hooks up to the hose.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

If it was only a couple, I think I would get that, but I’m talking thousands lol.

I ended up buying Scott’s dandelion and feed that hooks up to the hose.

Good afternoon TB2013. I remember 60+ years ago hearing my father moaning about the crab grass on our just mowed front lawn. It was conservatively over 80%. My uncle who like my father was a child of the depression and very frugal said to him; “it looks fine! So you have a lawn of crab grass.” I being a typical ‘children should be heard as well as seen teenager’ piped up. “How can you say that, it’s all weeds.” My uncle looked at me and said; What color is cut grass?” I, of course, bemused, said green. My uncle then said what color is grab grass? I said green but …. Before I could utter one more word he said case closed. He slapped my father on the back and they both headed for the porch and had a beer. I never forgot that while doing that chore during the mowing/growing season. Thanks to your post I enjoyed the memory again. Stay well, as always …

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

35 minutes ago, rclab said:

Good afternoon TB2013. I remember 60+ years ago hearing my father moaning about the crab grass on our just mowed front lawn. It was conservatively over 80%. My uncle who like my father was a child of the depression and very frugal said to him; “it looks fine! So you have a lawn of crab grass.” I being a typical ‘children should be heard as well as seen teenager’ piped up. “How can you say that, it’s all weeds.” My uncle looked at me and said; What color is cut grass?” I, of course, bemused, said green. My uncle then said what color is grab grass? I said green but …. Before I could utter one more word he said case closed. He slapped my father on the back and they both headed for the porch and had a beer. I never forgot that white doing that chore during the mowing/growing season. Thanks to your post I enjoyed the memory again. Stay well, as always …

What he says is true but the problem I had with it one year is I had a large section of some species of grabgrass that used to clog and bog down my lawn tractor, I used to call it gorilla grass. Thankfully I planted regular grass one year and it never came back.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2023 at 10:11 PM, DavisStraight said:

Anyone have a battery powered lawn mower? I bought one today, love it. I do most of my lawn with my lawn tractor but need a small one for edges and some other spots. More powerful than I thought and its nice and quiet.

I do. Purchased when I first bought my house. It’s great for my front, but in the back there’s not nearly enough power for what seems to be a backyard that wants to be a forest or Great Plains grassland. 

20 hours ago, dendrite said:

How's the horsechestnut doing? I need to come up and see you guys at some point this spring.

The Horse Chestnut is doing great.  It is on the right in the picture.  We fertize it each year along with our Red Maple and Ash tree.  The neighbors Ash trees across the dirt road are dying with the Ash Borer.  We treated our  Ash trees for that last year.  It's good for 2 years.  

Oh,  the American Chestnuts are doing good too!

Come over anytime for a visit!!  Be great to see you and Lisa

On 5/8/2023 at 6:22 PM, Damage In Tolland said:

Nothing like a beautiful green , weed free lawn . It’s just all frontal nudity. First mow yesterday.

WbrdhDh.jpg

I get it.  Dandelion and clover aren't for everyone.  But would it kill people to throw a small polinator garden into their landscape design? 

That's a pretty happy median.  People keep their golf course but also help out the local polinators, which have a significant importance in our ecology.  

https://www.usda.gov/peoples-garden/pollinators

1 hour ago, tunafish said:

I get it.  Dandelion and clover aren't for everyone.  But would it kill people to throw a small polinator garden into their landscape design? 

That's a pretty happy median.  People keep their golf course but also help out the local polinators, which have a significant importance in our ecology.  

Like you said .. to each their own. We are all programmed differently. You like lawns with layers , weeds and other looks . That’s totally cool. I like a weed free , lush lawn .. though it’s impossible to keep weeds out.. everyone has their vice .. that’s what makes life fun

The old electric mower finally died. Went out and bought a new electric mower at Lowes. These new batteries are awesome. Did my entire lawn and still had 2 bars left. Bought the variable speed power assist and its perfect for me recovering with a new knee. All my tools are now electric including my favorite the chain saw. All interacting batteries so now I have backups for each device. The ethanol in gas and all the issues with gumming carbs sent me over the edge. 

44290141.webp

16 hours ago, tunafish said:

We garden. Lots of bees around most  summer months.  

20210710_091551_compress95.thumb.jpg.eab9aaab6eaa1c3f6e129e8760ea9c24.jpg

20210710_091541_compress35.thumb.jpg.05bbadc7f6e9f645a2bf0f2962836699.jpg

• Like 7