Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2023 Lawn, Garden, Landscape Party Discussion

Damage In Tolland

8 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Aren't the grubs good for the chickens though? Or are they just too much for the property?

Sure, but they’re all under the soil. Any beetle they can get they’ll eat too. But the moles and grubs are slowly killing parts of the yard.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dendrite said:

Sure, but they’re all under the soil. Any beetle they can get they’ll eat too. But the moles and grubs are slowly killing parts of the yard.

image.jpeg

DIT is going to cry like the Indian dude in the littering commercial from the 70's when he sees this pic

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I thought I was kind of done landscaping to be honest. I’ve had to spend like $500 replacing shot due to the cold snap. It’s always something.

and I didn’t order enough mulch 

We spent a lot this year thinking we’ll be in this house for awhile. Deck was rotting so ripped it out and did a patio with a bigger footprint. Included a walkway and new granite steps. And a new driveway. It was all needed too. But it’s all leading to so many other side stuff lol. 

• Like 3

Anyone know what this weed is? It’s very leafy and pulls out easily, but it gets dense. It doesn’t seem to like competition as it thrives mostly where I weed around my pawpaw trees. It seems to really like fertile soil. it almost looks like sorrel, but it’s not quite a match in my eyes. I thought sorrel grew in poor soil too. 

IMG_2068.jpegIMG_2069.jpeg

2 hours ago, tunafish said:

That's a new one for me, haven't seen it before here.

Unrelated:  What type of bamboo did you plant in your run a few years back?

A bunch of different phyllostachys ones…parvifolia, aureosulcata ‘spectabilis’, atrovaginata, nuda, and nigra ‘henon’. I had a pygmy bamboo and a US native river cane as well. I’ve pulled all of them out now except for the spectabilis and parvifolia and I’m going to replace them with hardier, less aggressive clumping fargesia bamboos. I have a rufa now, but I’m going to add murilae and nitida soon. 

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, dendrite said:

Anyone know what this weed is? It’s very leafy and pulls out easily, but it gets dense. It doesn’t seem to like competition as it thrives mostly where I weed around my pawpaw trees. It seems to really like fertile soil. it almost looks like sorrel, but it’s not quite a match in my eyes. I thought sorrel grew in poor soil too. 

IMG_2068.jpegIMG_2069.jpeg

This is Sorrel, it is an absolute nightmare to get out of your garden beds as the roots spread like crazy. If you miss one little piece or root it just reprouts again. Best of luck. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/1/2023 at 6:15 AM, NSwx said:

This is Sorrel, it is an absolute nightmare to get out of your garden beds as the roots spread like crazy. If you miss one little piece or root it just reprouts again. Best of luck. 

It's only growing where I am weeding around my fruit trees and potted plants. Otherwise it's getting bullied about by grass and other weeds. I may just grow clover around the trees to nitrogen fix and prevent other deeper rooting weeds from growing.

The sorrel doesn't seem to be too deeply rooted though?

4 hours ago, QCD17 said:

Pennington is now selling a "smart seed" mix that contains clover.  People are finally coming around!

I spot seeded with it last year and bought a few more bags this year. The areas from last year look great, and way better than the rest of the lawn. Nitrogen fixing ftw.....

15 hours ago, tunafish said:

Love it.  Honeybees do, too.  Stein resistent.  Such a great plant for a yard.

7 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Would adding clover in my front yard that bakes all summer help it stay green?

Yeah, it was a natural feature of my lawn after we built. It honestly wouldn't be my first choice, but it does keep everything green when the south part is baking. My neighbors think it's grass before they actually walk over.