Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Napril 2023 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

5 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It’s like some parallel universe when TauntonBlizz starts advocating a glass half full outlook on weather instead of half empty.

Sounds like everyone is sort of talking about the same weather though, just interpreting it differently. 55-60F with brief showers/cores mixed with sun can both feel bad when raining but then a couple hours of sun at 60F also feels quite nice this time of year.

Its not beach weather but it’s also April. Could easily be cooler/nastier for an extended period of time. Probably rooted in perspective.

36F and dense fog here this morning, not beautiful, ha.

Entirely actually ... heh.  That's what it always is about, relative dissenting opinions being relatively offended... haha. 

But yeah, ... I've made no illusions about my own feelings with this particular season of the year. 

We have to understand ...there are in fact 5 seasons in New England: Summer, Autumn, Winter, Spring, and Rectal chamber.   The latter of which happens to ballast along the April span of time..but can lapse either direction...   And just like the other 4 seasons, Rectum can be more or less stinky depending on that year's rendition.   We've had Rectums that are seamless to spring because they were almost tolerable.  We've had other years, like May 2005 ...when Rectum proved that God himself is a shameless sociopathic sinner...

This year...mm, I'd say so far it's on the lighter side of the spectrum of funk.  It's not a bed of roses ( ever )...but at least we are not doing push-ups in dogshit.

(I'm obviously joking around)...

I work out everyday.  I do a mix of machine work, running, then cycling, along a 3 day rotation and then start over.   So I lied just there...I actually end up taking two days off a week for rest.  It's 3 on by 1 off.   The treadmill in the winter was really getting on my f'ing nerves!  My lower back and hamstrings just refuse to take to it...  despite one night a week doing yoga with a married hottie ( which has its own frustration..). 

These 59 F afternoons the last two weeks have been really quite ideal for doing 5 mi, which has been better on my hammies and back.  I'd really rather the days be 82/48 utopia with hot chicks and stuff ... but all things being (typically) oddly unequal in our Mar-Mays, there's been some reasons to appreciate.  It's got some redemption to it in other words? 

Weatherwiz, ...it won't take that deep into May - most likely....  Strong tropical forcing signal is emerging in all guidance sources and derivatives, and we've sans the La Nina firewall... So, the anticipation is that said forcing will in fact contribute to R-wave distribution.  It is more likely that the operational models a merely not detecting that forcing just yet. 

The best approach is to expect crap until Father’s Day.  I’m outdoors but unfortunately still in sweaters with a light jacket over.   But honestly when we do get full sun it feels warm despite the shaded temperature.   I think I will go somewhere warm next year from March through May.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The best approach is to expect crap until Father’s Day.  I’m outdoors but unfortunately still in sweaters with a light jacket over.   But honestly when we do get full sun it feels warm despite the shaded temperature.   I think I will go somewhere warm next year from March through May.

Yeah if I have the means when my kids are out of the house years from now, I'd love to have a place to go to between about April 1st and Memorial Day....not much redeeming here during that time. I do enjoy the brief few days each spring when you have just leafed out (not 100% but maybe 75%) and everything has that awesome almost electric green color....before it finally goes to the deeper green that stays around until August when it starts its demise (first the tired leathery look and then finally some hints of color in the swamp maples).

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah if I have the means when my kids are out of the house years from now, I'd love to have a place to go to between about April 1st and Memorial Day....not much redeeming here during that time. I do enjoy the brief few days each spring when you have just leafed out (not 100% but maybe 75%) and everything has that awesome almost electric green color....before it finally goes to the deeper green that stays around until August when it starts its demise (first the tired leathery look and then finally some hints of color in the swamp maples).

I agree with y'all for the most part.  But, I'd be willing to risk May ... maybe May 10 as my return date?

2005 is exceedingly rare... Hell, if we really had our druthers, we're rich enough not to waste time, and can set our return date based on telecons and model trends haha.   But, usually, if it's ass bangin' after May 10, the summer's likely to screw anyway so may as well come back. 

Like what was the 4th of July weekend recently that was like 44 F ... for warm/summer enthusiasts, that's the winter of 2022-2023

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Unfortunately high school spring sports are in Rectal season. Mid 50's  and sheet drizzle to run 5 miles is fine, I guess. But not so much trying to play high school baseball or trying to stay limber to run a 100 m, much less trying to sit out and watch it. 

Hopefully it turns in 10 days or so.

I recall going to a track meet at UNH in April of 93 or 94. It was the 1st outdoor meet of the season. We left Umaine and by the time we got there, it was 40-ish and raining. They did the long jump then called the rest of it off. I was supposed to run the 400m. Glad it was cancelled. 

58 degree days sure are tough to take , day in and day out . I hope those needing handkerchiefs to get thru this April find the strength to hang on... What in the heck kind of whining is going on 

one ugly day out of about last 12 . (Last Sunday ) 

currently trying to muster the strength to face the 55f partly cloudy weather in Bedford Ma 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

50 minutes ago, WhitinsvilleWX said:

Unfortunately high school spring sports are in Rectal season. Mid 50's  and sheet drizzle to run 5 miles is fine, I guess. But not so much trying to play high school baseball or trying to stay limber to run a 100 m, much less trying to sit out and watch it. 

Hopefully it turns in 10 days or so.

I remember as a kid loving sports in those cooler 50s and 60s, much more than 80s.  Though I’m sure parents sitting on the sidelines not engaged in activities differ in opinions.

Overall though if it’s north of 50F it’s not that bad coming out of winter. 55F in October after summer heat has people wearing winter parkas with hats and gloves.  55F in April after winter hits much easier.

It feels like hoodie weather.  Which is sort of what late April should be?

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

58 degree days sure are tough to take , day in and day out . I hope those needing handkerchiefs to get thru this April find the strength to hang on... What in the heck kind of whining is going on 

lol. Definitely first world problems. As the forum shes though, the bookend seasons become less and less appealing. Maybe Kev had it all along… just go deep winter to deep summer and try as hard as possible to avoid anything in between those two things.

37 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I agree with y'all for the most part.  But, I'd be willing to risk May ... maybe May 10 as my return date?

2005 is exceedingly rare... Hell, if we really had our druthers, we're rich enough not to waste time, and can set our return date based on telecons and model trends haha.   But, usually, if it's ass bangin' after May 10, the summer's likely to screw anyway so may as well come back. 

Like what was the 4th of July weekend recently that was like 44 F ... for warm/summer enthusiasts, that's the winter of 2022-2023

2021....I think the real bad day was Saturday 7/3 but 7/4 was only marginally better and had that "late day high" where it feels semi-useless because most of the morning/midday hours were still rotting in the 50s to near 60.

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

lol. Definitely first world problems. As the forum shes though, the bookend seasons become less and less appealing. Maybe Kev had it all along… just go deep winter to deep summer and try as hard as possible to avoid anything in between those two things.

We're all used to spring here so yeah....56F and cloudy isn't "that bad"....we've experienced that type of day only about 1,000 times since we were kids. It doesn't make it any more appealing though from an absolute sensible wx perspective. Things can always be worse this time of year, so we can say it's a "win" in that sense. But nobody will ever convince me to genuinely enjoy 55F and overcast unless I morph into a marathon runner.

I think I tolerate these types of days a bit more when everything isn't already soggy. A dry landscape and 55F overcast feels different than everything being like a sponge.

27 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We're all used to spring here so yeah....56F and cloudy isn't "that bad"....we've experienced that type of day only about 1,000 times since we were kids. It doesn't make it any more appealing though from an absolute sensible wx perspective. Things can always be worse this time of year, so we can say it's a "win" in that sense. But nobody will ever convince me to genuinely enjoy 55F and overcast unless I morph into a marathon runner.

I think I tolerate these types of days a bit more when everything isn't already soggy. A dry landscape and 55F overcast feels different than everything being like a sponge.

Good point. Soggy fields and trails add to that “spring shit” vibe more than 55F bone dry reg flag weather stuff.

24 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

2021....I think the real bad day was Saturday 7/3 but 7/4 was only marginally better and had that "late day high" where it feels semi-useless because most of the morning/midday hours were still rotting in the 50s to near 60.

It was the worst subjective 4th holiday sensible weather spanning all my time on Earth, period. 

Now … I’m hoping that just atones to rareness and not some new delicious peregrination of summers in a CC thing going forward …

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It was the worst subjective 4th holiday sensible weather spanning all my time on Earth, period. 

Now … I’m hoping that just atones to rareness and not some new delicious peregrination of summers in a CC thing going forward …

Yeah July 3rd or 4th in 2021 was when the Mansfield summit saw the same temp as like Christmas Day that previous winter.  It was something like that.  Both holidays terrible for the opposite reason (torch Xmas and raw cold 4th).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Sun is good but stuck in the 50s. Meanwhile 2/3 of the region stuck in clouds and dodging showers again. Love the euro wheel of misfortune too. This wx blows. 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

currently trying to muster the strength to face the 55f partly cloudy weather in Bedford Ma 

Are you burying bodies too?

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

5 of the last 9 days have been ugly here - 17, 18, 19, 24, 25.  I thought today would make 6-of-10 but we've had nice PC and 50s this afternoon after chilly clouds earlier.

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

I recall going to a track meet at UNH in April of 93 or 94. It was the 1st outdoor meet of the season. We left Umaine and by the time we got there, it was 40-ish and raining. They did the long jump then called the rest of it off. I was supposed to run the 400m. Glad it was cancelled. 

My son runs the 100, 4x100, and long jump.  First meet was April 4th. 38 degrees, 20 mph wind and drizzle. Was miserable. 
I’m at Foley in Worcester right now. It’s 57 but there’s no sun and it’s not what you’d call balmy. Standing here waiting for the javelin to be over so the 2 mile can start is not pleasant. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Are you burying bodies too?

Could be worse for sure.

Enjoyed a nice post-work hour skin up for about 2,000 vertical feet of skiing.  Folks are still out enjoying it, decent post-work crowd today.  Warms up with sun but wet flakes when showers move in.

4030D7DE-0546-49EB-9A37-CB7961983CDC.thumb.jpeg.eab6c99c6b64072c2016329d4690dc2e.jpeg