Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Napril 2023 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

But you have to tape and retape. It’s not just lifting it into the window and out. It’s a 15-20 minute process. And there’s something so peaceful about looking at it in the window . With an AN pattern locked in from here on out.  You install early and use it when you need it 

You're a bizarre person. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Just saw a massive bear on my run. I was coming around a corner / bend in the road at about mile 3 and it was just getting light out. At first I thought it was a car parked . As I got a little closer I could see it moving and then it saw me and changed direction and started coming back towards me. I have never , ever run as fast as I did . I literally turned Ethiopian. I cannot describe the feeling of fear I had . I just kept looking over my shoulder and running. He must have stopped because I never saw him again . I don’t know if they would attack someone just out running or not, but my God.. I am still freaked out. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

One killed a guy in NJ a few years ago

But they generally go after prey with meat on their bones.   Hopefully you brought some tape just in case

The tape is the kind that you seal cracks and openings with. So bugs and pollen don’t get in. I can’t believe there’s anyone that can simply place an AC unit into a window close the window on top of it and call that installed. There has to be gaps and openings that are either taped or stuffed with that foam which I also use . 

As far as the bear goes.. I’ve read they’ll only go after you if they have cubs with them which there was not that I saw. But when it stopped and reversed direction towards me, the fear factor went thru the roof. I was not about to find out. I’ve heard you’re supposed to zig zag when running from them. There were a few houses thru the woods I was considering running towards . I’ve seen all kinds of wildlife during my early AM runs over years.. wolves, coyotes..woodchucks, opposing. had a deer literally bolt across road inches from me.. but my biggest fear came true today. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The tape is the kind that you seal cracks and openings with. So bugs and pollen don’t get in. I can’t believe there’s anyone that can simply place an AC unit into a window close the window on top of it and call that installed. There has to be gaps and openings that are either taped or stuffed with that foam which I also use . 

As far as the bear goes.. I’ve read they’ll only go after you if they have cubs with them which there was not that I saw. But when it stopped and reversed direction towards me, the fear factor went thru the roof. I was not about to find out. I’ve heard you’re supposed to zig zag when running from them. There were a few houses thru the woods I was considering running towards . I’ve seen all kinds of wildlife during my early AM runs over years.. wolves, coyotes..woodchucks, opposing. had a deer literally bolt across road inches from me.. but my biggest fear came true today. 

:hurrbear:

• Haha 7

17 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Prepping for bear week?

• Haha 2

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

The NJ bear attack had no cubs.  It was just random from what I understand 

But they usually run the other way.  We see them here from time to time

I’ve seen them before walking thru the yard from inside the house. Little different feeling when you’re miles from home at 5:30 AM and one sees you on the road 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Just saw a massive bear on my run. I was coming around a corner / bend in the road at about mile 3 and it was just getting light out. At first I thought it was a car parked . As I got a little closer I could see it moving and then it saw me and changed direction and started coming back towards me. I have never , ever run as fast as I did . I literally turned Ethiopian. I cannot describe the feeling of fear I had . I just kept looking over my shoulder and running. He must have stopped because I never saw him again . I don’t know if they would attack someone just out running or not, but my God.. I am still freaked out. 

Running away causes a "prey reaction" in many wild animals..lucky for you the bear did not go into full predator mode...besides the bear was likely from Chicago..they are on the slow side..

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ve seen them before walking thru the yard from inside the house. Little different feeling when you’re miles from home at 5:30 AM and one sees you on the road 

I know grizzly bears can easily outpace even the fastest runners.  I doubt our black bears get that fast but they can move quickly.  

In Massachusetts, black bear populations have increased by 8% per year since the 1970s.  There are now over 4500 in the state 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

The NJ bear attack had no cubs.  It was just random from what I understand 

But they usually run the other way.  We see them here from time to time

I ve known several hikers who have been chased by bears..all of them made the mistake of trying to run away from a bear....sometimes bears will run the other way but it isn't a good idea to count on that happening. 

8 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Running away causes a "prey reaction" in many wild animals..lucky for you the bear did not go into full predator mode...besides the bear was likely from Chicago..they are on the slow side..

I was between 100-150 yards away I would say ..so maybe that distance was far enough. Had I not seen it as early as I did or if it had been dark.. who knows what might have happened . All I know is when I realized what was happening, instincts told me to go into full sprint mode.. I must have looked over my shoulders 20 times thinking I’d see it running 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I was between 100-150 yards away I would say ..so maybe that distance was far enough. Had I not seen it as early as I did or if it had been dark.. who knows what might have happened . All I know is when I realized what was happening, instincts told me to go into full sprint mode.. I must have looked over my shoulders 20 times thinking I’d see it running 

He's comin' soon..

• Haha 2

A real estate board I was on had a daily poster who went missing. We thought she just decided to take a break when somebody posted this.

"Two weeks after being mauled by a bear, the 56-year-old Caliente woman described how the “bully” bear bit through her skull and spit out her teeth, before managing to drive herself to safety after her dogs fought the bear, according to statements made with California Department of Fish and Game and a television news station"

• Sad 1

That sounds scary for sure. I'm in the midst of bear country and my neighbor gives me good advice and also things I didn't know. When bears get out of hibernation, they are nocturnal for several weeks so expect to see the from dusk to dawn, but then they become mostly diurnal all the way into the fall. Hope your heart rate recovers, breathe...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Get some bear spray. My wife and I carry it when we walk the dog.  I stopped a charging pit bull with it instantly. Used it on a coyote getting to close once as well but I think he smelled it and bolted. 

I think the brand I use is Sabre and is their compact version. 

Or you can just get your pistol permit.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Get some bear spray. My wife and I carry it when we walk the dog.  I stopped a charging pit bull with it instantly. Almost used it on a coyote once as well but I think he smelled it and bolted. 

I think the best slrat I use is the brand Sabre and is their compact version. 

Or you can just get your pistol permit.

Somehow running and carrying a gun comfortably and concealed seems a little tricky . The bear spray is a good idea.. but again .. I’d need somewhere to put it. Can’t have stuff in running shorts  pockets 

• Like 1

Bear spray (if it’s mace) sounds like a horrible idea . Who in their right mind would want to wait till a bear gets within arms length of them to piss it off by spraying it in eyes , also given wind conditions at the time its easy to spray it back in your own face . It seems like something backed by studies that really can’t replicate the reality of an angry bear sold so someone has peace of mind (but marketed as “scientific “)  . But I’m sure people just hear “scientific studies “ and they’re  like ok good enough . Good luck replicating the real world danger of a bear actually charging you to eat you in a scientific setting lol. I would guess it works better on other animals that aren’t going to straight charge you like a bull .

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

To be honest you did about the absolute WORST thing you could do… which is panic and run from a black bear.  Those things could not care less about you. I’d be more worried about any of the other animals you listed.  They are like raccoons mixed with a pig, but huge and black.  

Maybe it’s just seeing them so often, but I’ve been within 30 feet several times and honestly they are much more terrified of us than we are of them.  I have never felt threatened by a bear either in the mountains or in the backyard.

And the number one rule is not to turn and run from them like a crazy person.  They have zero interest but maybe you give them a reason to be interested.

Their eyesight is also shit at distance. After like 25-30 yards they are basically seeing shadows, which at that point you are now a fast moving shadow that they think may be a threat. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1