Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Napril 2023 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, George001 said:

BOS breaking 90 today? 82 degrees already.

henry,bloom and cora are praying the front comes in ...the last thing they want is for the wind to be blowing out at fenway ....quite the vaunted pitching stafff put together by bloom!!....the man is pure genius!

didn't take long for henry magic to infect the penquins..

40 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

the backdoor doesn't look that impressive this afternoon. maybe shave off 8-10 degrees here by mid afternoon, but still relatively warm. cooler by evening but who cares at that point

Yeah.. again, in the stricter principle, there really isn't much of a BD? 

What we do have is an organizing ( potentially...) very intense sea-breeze/mass restoration moving west. 

Back door phenomenon happens because there is an NVA ( usually aft of a S/W diving out of Quebec toward the lower Maritime region), and that NVA supplies downward vertical motion, ...which raises surface pressure NE of the region.  Then adding topographic features with a mountain range west, and flat "void" east, that air mass has a physical restoration tendency to always try and fill said empty space ... where we all happen to reside.  So, the air mass starts rollin' SW ...usually "under" the synoptic look, too - which makes them particularly infuriating.  Add to that, said rising surface pressure NE is taking place over some of the coldest water on the planet relative to latitude, further conditioning the air mass colder and colder and viola - the old 88 to 42 whiplash... 

But we don't really see all those mechanics activelly having take(taken) place... so we are in wait of a precarious scenario.

Presently .. we are flopping around in the interior at all of 4 to 6 kt zephyrs, because there really isn't much gradient going the other way.  Then adding we have intense interior heating ... there's likely to be a west motion getting going, whether there is a synoptically driven BD air mass involved or not..

The NAM sort of uses that total manifold of factors to create elevating surface pressure from the east/cold oceanic boundary layer, along. And once in place.. the weakish gradient can't remove it. 

It's an unusual behavior to perhaps conclude what is also a very unusually warm synoptic circumstance.

• Like 1

That all said, the NAM could also be over doing matter so... so there's that too.  My experience having suffered the vagaries of April wind over multiple decades, chances are ... we are not sustaining 88 F for very long. It is in fact extraordinary that we are getting two days in a row of this, actually.

Synoptic warm bursting is an increasing spring- period phenomenon ( Feb-Apr ), but most of them spike a single day embedded along a week of above normal..etc.  This is like "thick" warmth ...in terms of integrate atmosphere energy, this may be up there with 1976.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

There is a front analyzed by WPC but it's not clear it's actually "back dooring" at the moment, and ... not only that, it is no where near Boston.

Boston's onshore flip isn't related to BD for the time being.  

Nope, but I’m beyond impressed that BOS is holding low 80s despite E 16mph obs on 4/14. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Nope, but I’m beyond impressed that BOS is holding low 80s despite E 16mph obs on 4/14. 

Yeah right.  can't be underscored enough.

I'm stunned we did this two days back to back in the general sense dude.  I mean f if it's not 90 again. 

We don't have any worldly chance at doing this tomorrow, else we'd have the truly rare chance at official heat ... in mid April

20 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

One of those springs that suddenly it’s summer everyday . This appears headed that way 

Well the first 3 days of next week look to be in the 50’s as of this time…that’s not summer lol. Later next week upper 60’s looking likely.  However the last 3 days have certainly been summertime feeling. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Yeah right.  can't be underscored enough.

I'm stunned we did this two days back to back in the general sense dude.  I mean f if it's not 90 again. 

We don't have any worldly chance at doing this tomorrow, else we'd have the truly rare chance at official heat ... in mid April

BDL has done that, twice - 16-18/2002, max 95; 17-19/1976, max 96.  However, it appears that 13-14 this year is their earliest 2-fer.

We were returning from NNJ to Fort Kent in that 1976 spell, and our poor 1971 Beetle had to be near to overheating - we could hear the heat pinging in the engine when we'd stop and shut it off.  Spent that Sunday (the 96 day) overnight with my B-I-L in Boston and his Hawaiian wife had cooked up a massive meat and potatoes feed - she's essentially immune to heat - when a salad would've been better.  Next afternoon when we got home there was still some snow on the ground and the max-min had barely gotten over 60.  Relief!