Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Napril 2023 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

8 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

This morning I went to walk my dog. It was 28F or so (6AM). Saw something odd looking on the driveway.   It was a (apparently dead) giant water bug.   Weird time and place for it.   I know it was dead since it was still there this afternoon.   Huge fooker 

AF1DC694-AEAA-4E77-BF57-64AD32BEF707.jpeg

It was mutated by global warming.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

28 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yesterday did 65/21 here for 44 degree range.

Low of 35F this morning… and it’s already 55F by 8:05am.

Thats crazy.  Up 20F off the morning min by 8am.

Same thing here yesterday, unreal swing in temps. This dry air is unreal, what is this, the desert?

Screenshot_20230411-084358_Chrome.jpg

34 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Maples will be leafed out by the weekend here. 

Screenshot_20230411-071712_Gallery.jpg

it's going to be interesting and inCREdibly nerdy lol to gauge the response..

Wed night through Friday night may actually be within a couple degrees of 60 F. That should really initiate things pretty quickly.

The red maples up my way are the only above shrub level activation ...and it's still just the rusty red.   These cold nights have been slowing matters.  Spring diurnals prior to green up are typically rather large, but we've been getting a lot of 23 F low temps. Willing to speculate this has been a retarding factor.

It'll be weird walking around in an 84 F ambience with that nuclear wasteland look in the flora.. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Stupid POS timing of the front Sunday. Guess the best potential for any strong thunderstorms will be back across PA/NY (as always). 60-70+ knots of bulk shear with maybe 500-1000 J o MLCAPE...not too bad. Maybe a cluster or two of some wind damage.

We have two seasons on this forum. Ray complaining about getting porked by snow and you complaining about dying convection. 

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Early next week shows low- mid 60’s in interior SNE . 62-68 or so 

Actually Monday we may be able to squeak out a warmer day, especially east of 84 (with the front slowing down significantly). Tuesday could be quite cool and perhaps Wednesday too. 

• Confused 1

Just for the sake of discussion ... folks should get their heads around the notion that what is likely to be the case both sensibly and empirically with temperature and sky this week, these conditions are/were never going to be sustainable in April.

Should celebrate the warm burst for what it is - and enjoy it if one's psychology permits. Because any tendency to grouse has no basis in what is fair.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Just for the sake of discussion ... folks should get their heads around the notion that what is likely to be the case both sensibly and empirically with temperature and sky this week, these conditions are/were never going to be sustainable in April.

Should celebrate the warm burst for what it is, because any tendency to grouse has no basis in what is fair. heh 

I like to view these anomalies as "signs of things to come". It's what we can look forward too in the near-ish future. 

35 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I like to view these anomalies as "signs of things to come". It's what we can look forward too in the near-ish future. 

Yeah.... sometimes that seems to be the case.   But ( obviously you know this ...) that "seems" might also have some bit of interpretation bias.  I think we remember the times a cold autumn blast preceded an early winter, or early heat preceded a hot summer with EF5s tunneling to China ( ...see what I did for you there ? ), more so than the times they don't? 

In short, memory bias may be inflating significance.

It's a statistical study to prove one way or the other.  But my personal hunch is that these early occurrences of warm(cool) in spring(fall) ...actually don't really correlate too well.  I think we've already been to the hills and back with discussion over this when on some day circa October ...there are virga shrouded CAA CU with one or two packing pellets on car roof tops ... and all the sudden, a tsunamis of posts brimming with optimism - it's a bit cringy though, because we've shown that it reflects a falsity in that regard.

The problem with optimism in the wrangle of controlling one's psychology in this shit, is that it is a code word for 'already has hopes lubed up and ready for blue balling'  The trick is to not be swayed one way or the other by or because of the first feel of it, particularly if/when there is not enough statistics that really show that it really matters. 

I don't have as much of a feel for it in spring, admittedly.  I've seen more warm springs parlay to warm summers than the cold falls parlaying favorably to winter of lore.  Shy of doing that actual statistical analysis, that is ... It's something I am at least tacitly aware of most years, because I have a weird sort of fetish above heat wave phenomenon. I'm usually paying attention to leading and during temperature anomaly synoptics et al during summers.