Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Napril 2023 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Have definitely noticed them up here more and more.  Especially the pre-vegetation “warm bursts” as you call it. It seems we have an annual desire now to pump 75F+ with ease into pre-vegetation landscapes that even include snow cover in spots and especially the mountains.

Theres still snow in my yard that this week will take care of but BTV NWS even mentioned the “take the over” on temps and under on RH with no greenery in place yet.  It was what, a couple years ago it was like 90F with 12% RH on leafless forests?  Like 95F at some ASOS sites in NNE?  But that was May.

We definitely can get some over machine numbers on those dry heat bursts with no green up in place yet.

Yeah...the acclimating is interesting as a 'human' angle on that.  It seems that even in the Met/climo community, there's a kind of 'expectation aura' there? 

It's probably just unavoidable ... but similarly, so much of it and it's 'okay.'  Now, if we sans the 12" snow storms (20 up by you..), the winters were mediocre (imagine taking that tact in 1989?  ha) ... But springs are shitty now too if the temperatures are average.   Sort of...

By the way, I'm up 35 F since 5:30 am !   zomb diurnal baby. That's the yearly record for me.  And it's not over with +5 a 850 by day's end. We could squeeze 70 out of this bad bad and really put some stank on busting up machine numbers -

5 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

Dude is out there watering plants in early April. lol

This pains me to do...but in his defense he's watering a plant without access to groundwater.  Any potted plants, or new trees/shrubs planted last fall, should be watered this time of year when there's no rain.  Those roots need water was their coming out of dormancy.  

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Cold Miser said:

lol.  Earliest AC power-up in memory for you?

I have a vague memory of a similar burst in the early 60s.  I came home drunk and somehow got past my mom undetected before losing my gut contents into the trash  basket in my room.  I opened the window and dumped it.  Unfortunately we had just installed central ac and it landed smack dab into the compressor under my window.   Parents looking at each other the rest of the week muttering how the house smells like vomit…

• Haha 13

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I have a vague memory of a similar burst in the early 60s.  I came home drunk and somehow got past my mom undetected before losing my gut contents into the trash  basket in my room.  I opened the window and dumped it.  Unfortunately we had just installed central ac and it landed smack dab into the compressor under my window.   Parents looking at each other the rest of the week muttering how the house smells like vomit…

lol.
That is great.

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

There is a difference between installing and actually using. 

Irrelevant for me personally since I have central air, but back when I had to use window units, I never installed prior to June because you just had way too many cold outbreaks before then and an AC window unit lets a lot of cold air in, so you end up having to turn heat on when you might not have otherwise.

Try seeing how cold your room gets if you have a window unit in there with the heat off and you get a wheel 'o 'rhea for 3 days at 44F.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Irrelevant for me personally since I have central air, but back when I had to use window units, I never installed prior to June because you just had way too many cold outbreaks before then and an AC window unit lets a lot of cold air in, so you end up having to turn heat on when you might not have otherwise.

Try seeing how cold your room gets if you have a window unit in there with the heat off and you get a wheel 'o 'rhea for 3 days at 44F.

It is a bit early to install now though...especially considering the beginning of next week looks ugly. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Install early and use it when you want . 

Few things I enjoy less than a humid nite with only a ceiling fan - I run very warm normally 

cant get much nicer than today until swimming season . 68 and sun 

Yup. I'll be doing it this weekend. The first heat blast is the sign. 

air-conditioning-fall (1).gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Early 90s too, I think it was the first week of April I was out fishing with my new boat and it was in the 80s.

45 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Install early and use it when you want . 

Few things I enjoy less than a humid nite with only a ceiling fan - I run very warm normally 

cant get much nicer than today until swimming season . 68 and sun 

Learn something new everyday. Menopause is sexually transmitted.

• Haha 4