Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Napril 2023 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

5 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

Mark your calendar and put in for a vacation day now.  The astronomical event of a lifetime is coming to New England a year from today. (April 8 2024) A total eclipse of the sun. The path of totality passes through NNE.  I saw one in Aruba many years ago and it is something you will always remember.  Fingers crossed the weather is as good as today.

solar eclipse 1.jpg

I’m heading to Austin but will head about 90 minutes away for a long period of totality.  Better chance of less cloudiness. longer period of totality.   Having traveled to BNA in 2017 I figure this is my last shot so I’m making it as good or better.

• Like 1

MEX is approaching 20 pts over climo for the end of the week.  

That certainly should qualify as a spring 'warm burst' phenomenon.   76 at D5/6/7 is pretty difficult to do prior to the 15th of April from that particular interpolation as those are heavier weighted to climatology the further out in time - which is only 57 to 60.

Also ... both the GFS and Euro trying to back off the mid week trough idea.  Duck, though... close.  Huge gradient between SNE and Maine on these runs. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DavisStraight said:

You going to the primo spot to see it? I'm considering going, going to try and talk the wife into a few days up north.

I went to Aruba back in the 90's to see one.  It is something you absolutely will never forget.  We were on the beach with hundreds of others.  The shadow comes across the sky and it goes dark and the stars come out.  Even people that are not into this kind of thing were blown away.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

"You flew your Lear Jet up to Nova Scotia to see a total eclipse of the sun".  I believe March 1970. 

BOS had 96% but ACK was total.  I remember it got darker but seeing the total In 2017 made me realize there’s no comparison.   That one was hyped but 2024 has a wider totality and longer duration at the peak location.

• Like 2

Just now, weathafella said:

BOS had 96% but ACK was total.  I remember it got darker but seeing the total In 2017 made me realize there’s no comparison.   That one was hyped but 2024 has a wider totality and longer duration at the peak location.

I went to Aruba in the 90s.  Todd Gross and family flew down too.  Jerry, you are so right.  You HAVE to be in the path of totality.  Even if you are at 99% there is still too much light.  The 2024 eclipse has a wider path, thus darker at the centerline and longer.  The West coast of Mexico has the best chance of clear skies but in the US Texas is the place to go.  I will just watch the weather leading up to it and will drive anyplace in the Northeast that looks good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Know what would be weird…? 

A spring snow storm raging on with like wind and blowing snow 1982 style. And then the total eclipse of the sun happens right in the middle of it I mean you go from like gray blue cryo- Misty rage already …into just total loss of light. That would be so bizarre.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, weathafella said:

Cool obs out of FMH. The temp dropped from 40F at 17z and 18z to 35F at 19z. Totality went through ACK around 1845z. It recovered back to 37F at 20z.

FMH,1970-03-07 17:00,METAR KFMH 071700Z 25008KT 9SM CLR 05/M05 A//// RMK SLPNO T00461048
FMH,1970-03-07 18:00,METAR KFMH 071800Z 25010KT 9SM CLR 05/M05 A//// RMK SLP120 T00461053
FMH,1970-03-07 19:00,METAR KFMH 071900Z 23007KT 9SM CLR 02/M07 A//// RMK SLPNO T00191070
FMH,1970-03-07 20:00,METAR KFMH 072000Z 24012KT 9SM CLR 03/M05 A//// RMK SLPNO T00301048
  • Like 4

The last eclipse I traveled to SC, one of the most spectacular sights in my lifetime. 
The one in '24 I'll be traveling to Little Rock, AK., or the surrounding area (weather dependent) for about double the duration of totality of the previous 2min compared to about 4.