Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Napril 2023 Obs/Disco

Torch Tiger

7 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

The best part of SNE climo is the areas near the coast that tend to get skunked on snow , usually get the most misery mist . See , it all evens out .

Mid afternoon should be nice to get out for a bit for most . 

Will be 60s here shortly. Coast ftw. 

• Haha 1

The period ~ 5th -11th has plausibility above climo ... I wouldn't start at thread in spring, at this range ...unless a signal were 'extraordinary,' but this is a robust index relationship/correlation out there, nonetheless. 

And ... it also takes a bit of bravery on my part to even bring it up considering how checked out I am, hate and despise anything resembling winter at this point... but, I am at the end of the day always seeking the most objective impression on matters.  So hats off to me I guess... haha. 

No but the PNA index takes the continent through a massive mid latitude implication around that time span. I wouldn't laugh it off ...  there are operational runs that are responding ( I believe ...) to that forcing, as despite the longish lead they all have 582 dm closed anticyclonic height node over the Rockies ... Regardless of whether these exact cinemas play out the way they see it, they are outlooks the fit the following.  

Both the Euro and GEFs EPO computations result in an important dip, roughly between the 1st and 5th of April... +2 to -1 SD, perhaps crucial loading numbers when then also comparing the synoptic actuals.  There is an apparent temporal relay, as the PNA then has a much more massive correction .. Right around the 3rd or 4th, the index enters modality ...ultimately rising from -4 to just over 0 SD by the 9th or 10th!  That's a truly massive correction signal there. But the impetus here is in the term 'relay' - first the EPO loads....then the PNA totes it along and delivers it to 40 N ( typically).  That's the idealized model, and then with onset +PNA ...you get the storm potential and the rest is history... 

Now... bearing in mind, the sun/seasonal forcing will be normalizing the lower troposphere, compensating baroclinic gradients/cold more and more. This could either result in nothing more than a chilly trough, or.. if timing is right, we can inject prior to homogenizing ...That's usually how we get it done post April 1s

31 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The period ~ 5th -11th has plausibility above climo ... I wouldn't start at thread in spring, at this range ...unless a signal were 'extraordinary,' but this is a robust index relationship/correlation out there, nonetheless. 

And ... it also takes a bit of bravery on my part to even bring it up considering how checked out I am, hate and despise anything resembling winter at this point... but, I am at the end of the day always seeking the most objective impression on matters.  So hats off to me I guess... haha. 

No but the PNA index takes the continent through a massive mid latitude implication around that time span. I wouldn't laugh it off ...  there are operational runs that are responding ( I believe ...) to that forcing, as despite the longish lead they all have 582 dm closed anticyclonic height node over the Rockies ... Regardless of whether these exact cinemas play out the way they see it, they are outlooks the fit the following.  

Both the Euro and GEFs EPO computations result in an important dip, roughly between the 1st and 5th of April... +2 to -1 SD, perhaps crucial loading numbers when then also comparing the synoptic actuals.  There is an apparent temporal relay, as the PNA then has a much more massive correction .. Right around the 3rd or 4th, the index enters modality ...ultimately rising from -4 to just over 0 SD by the 9th or 10th!  That's a truly massive correction signal there. But the impetus here is in the term 'relay' - first the EPO loads....then the PNA totes it along and delivers it to 40 N ( typically).  That's the idealized model, and then with onset +PNA ...you get the storm potential and the rest is history... 

Now... bearing in mind, the sun/seasonal forcing will be normalizing the lower troposphere, compensating baroclinic gradients/cold more and more. This could either result in nothing more than a chilly trough, or.. if timing is right, we can inject prior to homogenizing ...That's usually how we get it done post April 1s

This is what Tip's posts look like when he is "checked out".

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I was on the Cape for a week in June 2021. Weather was great, but we probably lucked out a bit. July into September is best there. 

If I ever got lucky, I’d get a second place there in the Brewster to Orleans area. I love the bay side. 

Farther downeast, even June wx can be problematic.  During our honeymoon, we drove up Cadillac Mountain with 2 cooked lobsters on June 24, planning to enjoy cracking them for lunch as we enjoyed the view.  Unfortunately, there were 3 problems:
--We forgot to bring napkins.
--The water at the summit had not yet been turned on.
--Visibility was less than 100 yards in fog.
(Lobsters were great, mess and all.)

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Actually need this rain was BN for March. May flowers anyone?

Interestingly ... over this last week on those sunny days I was noticing how beige the lawn still looked under the warm sun.

This morning...despite the still on going dammed air and cold rains ( 38  -R here ugh...) the yard is suddenly sheened over with noticeably more green. 

Sat shows a fairly defined clearing. ALB is open sun or very nearly so for example...with brightening/sky lights splashing sun into western CT/MA... It's moving like everything has since 1998 ... unusually fast.

Anyway, it might be partly sunny across much of the area - heh... maybe that is scheduled and I'm late to the party on that. I've had a bad attitude about today all week, as it just looked like a typical bullshit New England failed warm sector in a morass of stranded cool murk.  So far ...that's spot on.  But, I do think these spring days are an interesting perspective when these back side baroclinic cloud walls suddenly peel away and the sun floods in... 

Looks like my buddy in Auburn 's saying the warm is coming in.  Shot from 40 to 54 there. 

32 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Well it's past noon, raining and 32.8F   I am not holding out for 50F nor is last nights snow going to melt much.  A refreeze to glaciated tonight and tomorrow stays below freezing.  Still waiting for my first 50F.  

Warm front is through here, sun just came out.

Summit went from 28F and freezing rain to 41F in a blink of an eye.

Down in valley it was low 30s, now near 50F and climbing fast.

Blast off as the inversion broke.

26CDDFC6-F90D-416C-92C7-5A71ADF13E36.thumb.jpeg.12fd429452aef85a45c76ca903e964d7.jpeg

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

East leading?  Whole bunch in VT with more.

That’s what they claimed on their Am report , so I literally just posted what they did 

What are some Vermont totals (that aren’t Jay peak reports )

i saw Kmart with 194” and Mt. Snow with 155”

edit I see you guys have 221” at the snow stake this season 

42 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

That’s what they claimed on their Am report , so I literally just posted what they did 

What are some Vermont totals (that aren’t Jay peak reports )

i saw Kmart with 194” and Mt. Snow with 155”

edit I see you guys have 221” at the snow stake this season 

Bolton Valley 240”

Smuggs 220”

Those are two others. Always in the ballpark with here.

• Like 1

I'm at 98".   Very impressive since I am only 90 miles from Boston as the crow flies..

38F at 3:20pm.  Bright but cloudy.  I flew my drone straight up to it's max 1640 feet above me.  I broke out of the low clouds at 1500 feet into full sun.  Got high wind warning on the drone even though there is no wind here at the surface.  Wish the drone had a thermometer attachment.  I need to look into that.  

• Like 1

wow did this turn out to be a royal ass boning for interior Massachusetts, N of the Pike...

This was pure BL drag.  There wasn't even any +PP N ... we just straight up could not scour this shit out in time. 

It's 70-75 across E NY...

Any questions regarding why April is Satan's rectal glue of a weather month, please defer to Human Resources -

• Like 2
  • Haha 2