Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
April 2023

Rtd208

13 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

During one of those we had perhaps the most intense thunderstorm I can ever remember. Thunder so loud it sounded like Tunguska style airburst meteor strikes. 

I managed to capture the worst thunderclap I’ve ever witnessed from that storm on my phone while recording, you see me fumble with and almost drop my phone it startled me so severely. It was so loud it actually hurt my ears. I’ll have to find and post that short vid. 

When thunder strikes are immediately overhead and extremely intense they take on a completely different audible quality. I’ve only heard it a few times in my life, but this was by far the worst. 

That was probably the best summer in my life for severe storms (I’m only 23 though). I saw hail 2 times (twice in one day) that summer after never having seen it before in my life. In late August my neighborhood got hit by a downburst that produced Sandy level damage around here. There was also another storm in late june that produced hurricane force gusts out in central suffolk, I was on the beach fishing that day and got absolutely sandblasted from the gust front out ahead of that storm even though it missed to the east. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

it's why I hate thunder and lightning so much lol

Back in 2021 I was working at the Home Depot in Jericho for a summer job between semesters and the store got hit by lightning. The thunder was so loud it literally felt like a mini earthquake, knocked out power to the store too.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

That was probably the best summer in my life for severe storms (I’m only 23 though). I saw hail 2 times (twice in one day) that summer after never having seen it before in my life. In late August my neighborhood got hit by a downburst that produced Sandy level damage around here. There was also another storm in late june that produced hurricane force gusts out in central suffolk, I was on the beach fishing that day and got absolutely sandblasted from the gust front out ahead of that storm even though it missed to the east. 

microburst?  those things can destroy roofs and cause lots of tree damage =\

1 minute ago, Intensewind002 said:

Back in 2021 I was working at the Home Depot in Jericho for a summer job between semesters and the store got hit by lightning. The thunder was so loud it literally felt like a mini earthquake, knocked out power to the store too.

wow so worse than a gunshot going off nearby....thats what it felt like to me when I heard it

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

I wasn't here (away on vacation) but I read that July 1998 was really good for severe weather around here with large hail on the south shore that caused widespread damage to cars.

1999 in my mind is without equal, as that had multiple large severe weather outbreaks and that F2 tornado that went right down Merrick Road in Lynbrook on Labor Day.  That was an amazing year and everything from huge heatwaves and record heat in the summer (record hot July) to bookend widespread severe weather around both Memorial Day and Labor Day!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

microburst?  those things can destroy roofs and cause lots of tree damage =\

Yeah my grandmother lost the tree in front of her house that survived Sandy, Irene, Gloria etc. It luckily missed the house by like a foot but ripped off the gutter and power lines attached to the house

• Like 1