Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April 2023

Rtd208

Just now, allgame830 said:

I don’t think there’s hype at all… even when the storms were over western PA they looked pretty much run of the mill but still were producing winds gusts 65-75mph. 

I think lapse rates will make up for the so-so instability. You're not going to get summer CAPE in early April

1 minute ago, allgame830 said:

I don’t think there’s hype at all… even when the storms were over western PA they looked pretty much run of the mill but still were producing winds gusts 65-75mph. 

That line doesn’t look that impressive as of now 

Clouds gave way to brilliant sunshine this afternoon. In response, the mercury rose into the lower 70s in many parts of the region. However, coastal areas remained locked in the upper 50s and lower 60s on account of a sea breeze.

A strong cold front will plow across this evening. The frontal passage could touch off some strong to perhaps severe thunderstorms. Beyond the front, noticeably cooler but not exceptionally cold air will overspread the region. The chill will be short-lived.

Overall, the first week of April will likely turn out warmer than normal. As has been the case throughout the winter and early part of spring, the coldest air will remain confined largely to western and central North America. Some of the guidance now brings the cooler air into the East for the second week of April, but considerable uncertainty exists. In terms of the month as a whole, it is somewhat more likely than not that April will wind up on the warm side of normal.

Historic experience with very low snowfall totals through February argues that a very snowy March or big snowstorm during March or April are unlikely. There were 16 winters that had less than 8" of snowfall through February in New York City. Just two (13%) had a 6" or greater snowstorm during March or April: 1889-1890: 6.0" on March 19th and 1991-1992: 6.2" on March 19th.

With just 2.3" snowfall through March 19, New York City is now extremely likely to finish the season with less than 10" of snow. Since 1869-70, all 10 winters with less than 8.5" of snow through March 19th wound up with less than 10" of seasonal snowfall. New York City is currently on a path that could culminate in its setting a new record for lowest seasonal snowfall.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +2.0°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was 0.0°C for the week centered around March 22. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged +1.20°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.17°C. Neutral ENSO conditions will likely prevail through at least mid-spring.

The SOI was -13.56 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.474 today.

On March 30 the MJO was in Phase 3 at an amplitude of 0.502 (RMM). The March 29-adjusted amplitude was 0.573 (RMM).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bkviking said:

Yeah my bad. The severe weather moments are flickering moments and every outlook is usually more hope than reality. 
June 2010. August 2014. November 2022. That’s of top of mind.  Our marine layer makes LI a severe storm wasteland most times. 

Summer of 2019 I believe had some strong storms out here

12 minutes ago, Intensewind002 said:

Summer of 2019 I believe had some strong storms out here

During one of those we had perhaps the most intense thunderstorm I can ever remember. Thunder so loud it sounded like Tunguska style airburst meteor strikes. 

I managed to capture the worst thunderclap I’ve ever witnessed from that storm on my phone while recording, you see me fumble with and almost drop my phone it startled me so severely. It was so loud it actually hurt my ears. I’ll have to find and post that short vid. 

When thunder strikes are immediately overhead and extremely intense they take on a completely different audible quality. I’ve only heard it a few times in my life, but this was by far the worst. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Volcanic Winter said:

During one of those we had perhaps the most intense thunderstorm I can ever remember. Thunder so loud it sounded like Tunguska style airburst meteor strikes. 

I managed to capture the worst thunderclap I’ve ever witnessed from that storm on my phone while recording, you see me fumble with and almost drop my phone it startled me so severely. It was so loud it actually hurt my ears. I’ll have to find and post that short vid. 

it's why I hate thunder and lightning so much lol

• Like 1